Confidence BOOST! Question

1. x

xxSTEPHENSxx Valued Member Member

Ok so I have some Nitrites in my 55gal after 15 days of cycling! But after 23 days in my 10gal I still have no sign of Nitrites much less Nitrates.

Question - If my 55gal tank cycles first... can I take one of the filters out and put it in my 10 gal and take the 10 gal filter out and put it in my 55gal? That way I can instantly cycle the 10gal?

BTW: 55gal

Ammonia - .25
    Nitrites - .25
    Nitrates - .0

10gal

Amonnia - 1ppm
    Nitrites - 0
    Nitrates - 0

The 10gal has been stuck at this state for 2 weeks.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

id leave your filters exactly where they are...newly cycled tanks are not as stable as mature tanks.

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

+2 .....I wouldnt trust cycled tanks unless they are 3 or more months fully cycled....

4. OP
    OP
    x

Ok... I am excited about the 55gal but disappointed about the 10gal.

5. OP
    OP
    x

UPDATE:
    55gal

Ammonia - .25
    Nitrites - 1.0
    Nitrates - .5

10gal -
    Ammonia - 1.0
    Nitrites - 0
    Nitrates - 0

55gal started on 3/1/10 - no fish
    10gal started on 2/20/10 - fish

How do you guys think it is coming along?

6. OP
    OP
    x

Since my 10gal isn't moving can I move my fish to the 55gal? Would it slow the process? I plan on making my 10gal a hospital tank... because I have another 55gal coming this weekend... :;rocker

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

You could move them over into the 55. As far as the hospital tank, you do know that you do not need to keep it up and running at all times. If you keep the filter media for the 10 gallon in the filter for the 55 (or run the 10's filter in the 55 along with the 55's filter) you can just fill the ten, put the filter on it when needed.

There is a old thread on here somewhere about setting up a quick Q-Tank, if you do a search, you should be able to find it.

8. OP
    OP
    x

Ok I will search that.

Jdhef - do you think moving them will slow my cycle down? The 55gal is really moving along smooth. The 10 gal is stuck on 1.0 ammonia for a month now.

9. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

I think this is more a question of daily management. There are pros and cons to both. If the fish are being exposed to ammonia, you should be doing daily water changes, preferably with Prime, to reduce the toxicity of the water. If you leave them in the 10g, the water changes are smaller and you use less Prime. However, there is greater risk to the fish because the 10g is more susceptible to fluctuations in the water chemistry. The 55g would be lower risk for the fish because it would be less susceptible to fluctuations as there is greater water volume, but will require greater volumes of water and prime for the daily water changes (more work and more Prime).

I think I would leave the fish in the 10g as it seems like daily changes in the 55 would be difficult for me to maintain, but you will need to be diligent to control ammonia levels.

10. OP
    OP
    x

Mindtravel3r - Ok I see your point. Daily water changes would be a bit of a hassel in the 55gal. I just drove 60 + miles to get a bottle of prime in Jacksonville FL today. I am hoping this will be a little better than the Ammonia lock I have by API.

11. OP
    OP
    x

Got a question... My nitrites are an "inbetween" color on the card. It is between blue and purple - 0-.25

It is neither color... what do I do? If it turns a little more blue then my cycle is complete.