Confession of a bad shrimp husband

Jack B Nimble

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I have spent the last few weekends working on the 3 new shrimp tanks. I made them to separate strains of my blues. Anyway if order to get into shrimp in the first place I convinced my wife she needed a tank in the kitchen. So this trick worked and I quickly turned it into a shrimp tank for "her". Well it has turned out some great looking basically carbon rillis. So I took a couple of refined color pattern shrimps of hers to add to the colonies I was creating on my shrimp bar. Her preferance is the blue carbon pattern and she has many beautiful ones it her colony. However it was putting out some also nice variety colors such as black rose, velvets, dreams etc. These are the ones I "rehomed" for the other tanks. So today she noticed that her tank seemed a few shrimp less.. .busted.

Now in my defence I will be putting some carbon rillis back in her tank that I will enevitable cull out from the new 3 tanks.

So now the question is am I bad shrimp husband by trickery,selfishness and greed to do that or am I actually a nice husband by helping her colony so its does not breed down to a poor grade ? Some might say I am also generous by putting all the quality culls I get from my basement 5 tanks into hers as a free gift in the near future.

Hmmm that is the question of my day.

Lol I am a bad man. These are some of hers how did she even notice lol.
20191117_100306.jpg
20191117_100235.jpg
20191117_100157.jpg
20191117_100136.jpg
20191117_100152.jpg

lilirose

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am a firm believer in moving every shrimp that does not fit the desired colour of the tank. Sure, the tank may be turning out some awesome colours now, but if you just let them breed freely without culling, in six months she won't have a tank of blue carbons anymore, she will have a ton of wild types among them. I say that as a wife (though to be fair my husband is not a shrimpkeeper and if he ever touched my tanks he would be sorry! LOL!)

OP
Jack B Nimble

Jack B Nimble

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some of the poor colors I have removed. Seems tank C will be forever the culls. Glad you agree but, hard too explain as to the whys they need to be removed or why I did happen to take a couple of beauties purely by accident naturally. Will show some of her nicer ones once they come out.
20191117_110216.jpg
20191117_104726.jpg

lilirose

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would have thought it would be easier to explain "you have to keep colour lines pure or they will breed out in a few generations, that's how shrimp genetics work" than it would be to endure accusations that you're stealing shrimp just to be mean- I certainly would rather my husband not make changes that are within his domain (he does woodwork and builds guitars, and his handiwork is displayed prominently around the house) and then simply tell me "it's too complicated, you wouldn't understand" if I protest over it...

(It's odd to me that there is a "haha" reaction emoticon, but no "laughing" emoticon to use within a post- please don't take this as a lecture, my tongue is firmly in my cheek here!)

New Threads