Conditions for Silver Dollar school

Brolli

Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm very new to this hobby, I don't own my own tank yet but that will hopefully change soon. There is a 240 liter freshwater tank at my place of work that I've become quite invested in and got me interested in fishkeeping. As of now the inhabitants are 2 catfish(not sure about the species), 2 apple snails, 1 unknown black snail, 1 barb(not sure which species) around 12-15 baby cichlids (zebra hybrid I think) ranging in size but the biggest few are around 4cm in size. 1 adult who is the father of the babies(he will probably be removed due to aggression towards all inhabitants including his babies and especially the newly introduced apple snails who will hardly exit their shells due to harrassment).
Another co worker who has 6 silver dollars at home, is trying to get rid of them, and came up with the idea to bring them into this tank. I was just wondering if the conditions are adequate. Considering there are already around 20 inhabitants(all fairly small, except for the adult cichlid whose fate remains unknown), could the introduction of the silver dollars be too much? And make all of the inhabitants unhappy? If not 6 could it work for 3?
Any advice would be gladly appreciated.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Silver Dollar fish likely won't do well with Zebra Mbuna Cichlids. Getting rid of the adult male Zebra would be a temporary fix. Sooner or later the baby Zebras will become bigger & some will be just as aggressive as dad.
Five foot tanks & longer are more suited for Silver Dollar fish.
IMO, Keeping six Silver Dollars in a 65 gal. w/ adequate filtration is possible, minus the African Cichlids.

Littlebudda

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
People don’t realise how big and active silver dollars are the get big and need lots of room to swim. I have two in my big tank and will add 3 more once they are big enough to not get oscarfied (become Oscar food). The silver dollars use every bit of the 300gal tank. I would not feel comfortable adding them to that small of a tank simply as they would not have the room to move required to be happy and active.

OP
B

Brolli

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys, my co workers really want to try it out at least and see how they do. The baby cichlids are more than a year old and are growing very slowly so I'd guess it's a long time till they'll be full grown. If it wouldn't work out we could always sell the Silver Dollars. Would it not be worth a try?

Littlebudda

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Give it a try but given room they grow fast and like I said they need a lot of swimming space

Littlebudda

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Convicts can be aggressive but they shouldn’t bother the silver dollars. I actually just got a pair of convicts which will go into the big tank in a month or two when they won’t fit in the oscars mouths.

OP
B

Brolli

Reaction score
The plan is to keep the babies and give the adult away, just due to general aggression. His attacks on the snails however makes their lives really difficult, they never leave their shells unless their in a floating seperation tank, where we've been feeding them.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you keep just silver dollars, maybe 6 of them, you should be fine as far as space goes. A smaller schooling fish like neon tetras would probably be ok without the convict cichlid

OP
B

Brolli

Reaction score
Ok, but what about the cichlid babies? Like I mentioned they are really small and are growing very slowly, would it not be okay at least while they are at this size?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As the baby Convicts grow, a few dominant males will likely start to dominate their sibblings. The weak will be killed off one by one, until just two dominant males & a few strong females remain.
Although Convicts are awsome cichlids, they are prolific breeders, making their sale price very low. In most cases its nearly impossible to give the babies away.
Silver Dollars are primarily vegetarian, but like most fish will eat other fish small enough to fit in its mouth.

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm late to the party but want to add, SDF aren't the right temperament for public fish tanks. They can and will get startled and injure themselves.

I have 4 in a tank and the light stays off almost exclusively so that they don't panic. They get worried and won't even eat if light is on. oddly I can stand 1 foot away and talk baby voice to them & they swim right up, but again it's with tank light off.

Large tank
low light
they can jump out of tank ( mine do splash about 1x a week)
they can engage in a feeding frenzy even though vegan.

beautiful fish just not imo for pubic display with a lot of foot traffic.

Good luck!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom