Conditions for mollies

1. Calli Initiate Member

What are the conditions for the molly to have her babies? Like temp and other things like that.

2. Jon Well Known Member Member

temp of about 80 f , ph of 8-8.5, add a lil aquarium salt and they should breed

3. Kidsmollies Initiate Member

I also read to feed brine shrimp, and blood worms too.

And to try to get Molly to HAVE her babies when she is ready the best temp is to be at 82 degrees, and to use lighting only 12-13 hours a day. Salt is good too, I read.... Haven't seen the part about the Ph levels yet!

Good luck!

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

Depending on the stores water chemistry where they were probably bred from the pH doesnt matter, salt is not neccessary and temperature as per normal. They will breed like crazy

5. Calli Initiate Member

Thanks for helping me out. I will go out and get a heater to raise the temp. and the pH is about right, right now. But I will try this and see if it works. Do you know if there is any way to tell that the female is pregnant or does she just get really really fat?

6. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

she also has a graved spot on her arnal fin

7. Jon Well Known Member Member

J-man salt and temp arent necessary but it encourages mollies to breed... even though they will regardless

8. mistycheri Member Member

I still don't understand what this means. I have two black mollies, one female one male, is it harder to see this "graved spot" on the black mollies?

9. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, you can't see the gravid spot on black mollies because they already are black. But on lighter fish, it is a black triangle above the anal fins on the belly.

10. vin Well Known Member Member

Forget the aquarium salt....mollies are livebearers and breed like rabbits...... :D