Condensation On My Tank Lid.

Fish-keeper

Valued Member
Messages
158
Reaction score
36
Points
28
Experience
1 year
Hello on the lid of my tank there is a lot of condensation forming on the top and it is tripping out of the tank, how can I stop it?
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
549
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
Their isn't an easy fix for that. What your going to find works best is getting one of the small computer fans, and then wiring that so that you have your air circulating under the lid.
 

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Messages
3,408
Reaction score
2,158
Points
298
Experience
3 years
DutchAquarium said:
Their isn't an easy fix for that. What your going to find works best is getting one of the small computer fans, and then wiring that so that you have your air circulating under the lid.
Im to lazy for that and just deal with it... The duckweed enjoys it as it rains. And its humid enough sometimes the snails sit up top.
 

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,871
Reaction score
3,741
Points
448
Experience
5 to 10 years
This isn't really a problem as it doesn't harm the fish. Just wipe off the lid every now and then to remove food stuck to it, don't want that to grow mold.

On the plus side, the humidity is greatly appreciated by fish like bettas and gourami, both of which prefer humid air to gulp.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Fish-keeper

Valued Member
Messages
158
Reaction score
36
Points
28
Experience
1 year
Demeter said:
This isn't really a problem as it doesn't harm the fish. Just wipe off the lid every now and then to remove food stuck to it, don't want that to grow mold.

On the plus side, the humidity is greatly appreciated by fish like bettas and gourami, both of which prefer humid air to gulp.
Yes it doesn’t effect the fish but it isn’t nice to wake up to a puddle every morning.
 

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,912
Reaction score
7,352
Points
598
Experience
Just started
Wait, I’m confused how it’s forming on the top of the lid and dripping off the tank. I never expereinced this. Maybe I missed something here.
 

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Messages
2,675
Reaction score
1,845
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
How is the condensation on the underside of the lid dripping onto the floor?
 

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Messages
1,267
Reaction score
908
Points
148
Experience
2 years
I'm guessing the tank lid overhangs the glass of the tank? if that's the case, you can fix something to the inner edges of the lid where it comes in contact with the glass (like a piece of weather stripping or something similar) and then the condensation will drip back into the tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Fish-keeper

Valued Member
Messages
158
Reaction score
36
Points
28
Experience
1 year
DuaneV said:
How is the condensation on the underside of the lid dripping onto the floor?
We’re the hinges are it is leaking though there and going down the side of the tank onto the floor.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

Fish-keeper

Valued Member
Messages
158
Reaction score
36
Points
28
Experience
1 year
McGoo said:
Is this a makeshift lid for a tank that you have? And is this a "rimless" tank?
No it is a proper lid but don’t worry I bought a new tank. A bigger one I have set it up as if it is a brand new tank and I will slowly add the fish when the tank is ready, any suggest of anything else I should do?
 

McGoo

Valued Member
Messages
247
Reaction score
105
Points
73
Experience
3 years
Fish-keeper said:
No it is a proper lid but don’t worry I bought a new tank. A bigger one I have set it up as if it is a brand new tank and I will slowly add the fish when the tank is ready, any suggest of anything else I should do?
Use the media from your old tank to help kickstart your cycle, as well as any decorations you had that the beneficial bacteria may be living on. Put a few basic live plants in there like hornwort to help with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13

Fish-keeper

Valued Member
Messages
158
Reaction score
36
Points
28
Experience
1 year
McGoo said:
Use the media from your old tank to help kickstart your cycle, as well as any decorations you had that the beneficial bacteria may be living on. Put a few basic live plants in there like hornwort to help with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
I can’t have the media in there yet as it is running the other tank but I will put it in when they have all been moved in a few weeks.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom