Condensation on a tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Yeoy, Dec 3, 2012.

1. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Gday all,

So in my little invert tank I am having problems with condensation. In my last community tank the glass lids sat about 5mm below the tank top, so the condensation that accumulated on the bottom of the lids ran back in to the tank.

Now for the RCS/Ramshorn tank I have is a cheap all-in-one kit with the light, filter and heater built into the lid. The problem is that the lid sits above the top of the tank, so some of the condensation runs down and down the back of the tank. I have to keep a towel there and depending on the weather, sometimes after a few days the towel is damp and there is significant loss from the tank. It is only a small tank so it only takes a few litres (less than a gallon) to be noticeable.

I have tried having the temp up, and having the temp down. The tank needs a high water level for the filter to run properly, so I can't work around that. I will have to upgrade to a full glass tank soon (once these shrimplets mature hopefully).

Any ideas to help with condensation until then?

Thanks all!

2. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Is there anyway to modify the lid to a lip inside the tank that the water can drip back down so it is inside rather than outside the tank? Just pondering out loud!

3. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

You could heat up the room the tank is in more closely to the temperature of the water in the tank.. it doesn't need to be a full 78-82 degrees or whatever, but "closer" will stop the condensation from happening :)

4. OP
    OP
    Y

YeoyWell Known MemberMember

I have tries doing things inside. It is just cheap and useless so I will need to upgrade (and get more fish!). The room is usually close to the tank temp. But when we get a bad day it just loses heaps in 12 hours.

5. 3aquariumsValued MemberMember

The same thing happens with my bilub tank. Its a cylinder biorb and if I bump the lid condensation drips down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice