Concerns About My Sand Substrate In the New Tank

Jayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The 46 gallon is up and running and just about fully stocked, so my hubby decided to get a 20 gallon long. It's going to be the baby/overflow tank and at the suggestion of many of the members here I got a coarse sand substrate for the bottom.

I cleaned out the tank (without using cleaners, just the traditional ammonia that we are going to use for the fishless cycle) and rinsed the sand (which was difficult) until the water ran clear which was about 5 times before the water was clear.

So I put it in the cleaned tank and put the treated water in on top (I haven't filled it all the way up because of putting some rocks and a plant or two in this weekend), but its like 2/3 of the way full.

Now the problem, the water is really cloudy. I was figuring sand particles would take a little while to settle, but the morning after its still really cloudy. I know its not an algae bloom this soon. Is this something that is normal for a sandy substrate? Do I have to take out all the water and start over? Did I not rinse it enough maybe? I wanted to get everything in this weekend, so that way I can transfer the filter from the 46 gal over to the 20 and get it cycling, but I don't want to do that if I have messed up something. HELP!

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Have your run your filter yet? I didn't get my sand clean enough and had that exact situation. As you've waited for your sand to settle, I'd try turning on the filter to see if it can clear up what's left in your water. No matter how clean we thing we've gotten a used tank and its decor, it doesn't always seem to be enough....at least IME.

Good luck!

Jayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The filter is not in yet. Its a sponge, because the tank is going to be mainly for fry. The filter has been running in the 46 for about 2 weeks now to help with the cycling. I was going to transfer it over to the new setup tomorrow. I am going to get the rest of the stuff that I need for the tank tomorrow, but I wanted to find out about the cloudiness before I put other stuff in there so I didnt ruin anything.

So you really think that its no big deal and that I should just put in the filter and that will take care of the cloudiness?

Mylar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not sure I want to put in the sponge till you are done decorating.

I was planning to use the water that is in there for you get get everything arranged the way you like it, then drain the vast majority of the water out of the tank and refill it using water from the community tank's water changes... THEN I was going to put in the sponge filter.

The sponge is largely just a biofilter. With the sand substrate, Corys grabbing any food that hits the bottom, and mainly fry in the tank I was not expecting a need for much mechanical filtration.

I could rig up a quickie corner filter that you could run floss in for a while if you need to polish up the water, but I think you were right, we need to get as much cloudiness cleared up with water changes and stirring before we put a whole lot else into the tank.

I have other concerns about the sand... mainly in interaction with the rocks.
We are planning to put in a few large flat round river rocks, maybe 6-8" diameter... will those be ok resting on the sand, or do we need to pad underneath the rocks with something? I'm not so much worried about the glass underneath, as they will not be that heavy or have sharp points to concentrate force. Will pockets of badness develop under the rocks from the sand cavitating and creating hollows? She is planning on planting moss between and around the rocks,so picking them up to clean under them is going to be a pain. Will that be needed, or is that just a problem with gravel?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads