Help Concerning Black Marks/spots On African Cichlids – Please Help – Pictures Attached

clinty76

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve noticed black marks/spots that are continually getting bigger and more of them on my African Cichlids. Most of the fish just have small specks of black on their body, but a couple of them have large blotches. One in particular has it on the dorsal fin and it looks like a small part of the fin is missing. I believe this may have been an nipping injury from before, but I’m not 100% positive.

I’ve done a lot of research and found that it may be “spirulina” marks because there’s too much in the food, but I’ve also seen a few instances of a “Black Spot” disease which is what I’m concerned about. The fish are behaving completely normal other than a few flashing in the evening. I do not feel the flashing is severe, but just a normal part of their life. Only a few do it and it’s not very often.

Anyways, here are the details and parameters of the tank.

Tank Details
Size: 75 gallons
Filter: Fluval FX6
Green Killing Machine UV
Caribsea Cichlid Sand
Water Changes: Every Saturday/Sunday (30-40%)(Seachem Prime)

Water parameters are consistently:
Temp: 79.5 – 80.5
PH: 8
Ammonia: 0 - .25
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: Usually 20 when I do water change

Food
Mon/Wed/Fri: New Life Spectrum Algaemax (Mixed with Metroplex/Focus)
Tue/Thur/Sat: Seachem Nutridiet Cichlid Flakes
Sun: Fast

Fish
Yellow Labs: 7
Rusty: 7
Powder Blue: 7
Acei: 7

IMG_2632.JPG IMG_2643.JPG Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 3.32.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 3.33.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 3.34.56 PM.png

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Black Spot disease is a parasite with a very complex life cycle. I don't think there is really any chance of that. IMO, looks like some factor in the water is adversely affecting the cichlid's slime coat, resulting in ammonia-like burns.
Possibly your water company has changed up its water treatment chemicals. If you are running activated carbon in the canister filter, it would be a good idea to remove it.
Along with Prime, mix in API "Stress Coat" or any other name brand water conditioner with Aloe Vera.

OP
clinty76

clinty76

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A201 said:
Black Spot disease is a parasite with a very complex life cycle. I don't think there is really any chance of that. IMO, looks like some factor in the water is adversely affecting the cichlid's slime coat, resulting in ammonia-like burns.
Possibly your water company has changed up its water treatment chemicals. If you are running activated carbon in the canister filter, it would be a good idea to remove it.
Along with Prime, mix in API "Stress Coat" or any other name brand water conditioner with Aloe Vera.
I don't use activated carbon, so I'm set there. Would you recommend using Stress Coat or Stress Guard every water change?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never used Stress guard, but Seachem products are really good. It might be a better product.

OP
clinty76

clinty76

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anyone else have ideas or opinions?

New Threads