Concerned with sealant on bottom seams

pberm1962

I purchased a used 36 gallon bow front. I have it completely filled with water since this past Sunday and it's been dry. I'm concerned with these bottom seams .the caulk seems discolored ,brown. should I be concerned? i can't tell if it's mold or just dirt on the seams from the previous owners set up . I don't really feel like getting into a recaulking job with it .if that was the case I probably would just buy a brand new aquarium.

Attachments

• 20220927_145829.jpg
    20220927_145829.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 15

Neppley

I would wait before doing anything with it and monitor if any of the water leak

pberm1962

I've already had it full of water since this Sunday how long should I monitor it thanks

KingOscar

It looks like it may have already been resealed to me. I agree to let it sit with the water topped off for a while longer (2-3 weeks?) before setting it up with fish. If it does start to leak it will likely start slowly. Depending where it is set up this can be more damaging in some rooms than it would be in others... That would be my consideration moving forward.

pberm1962

do i need to be concerned with the blackness of the sealant? is it mold and is there a non harmful chemical i could use to remove it without compromising the sealant . if this should be a new thread i am sorry .thank you for the replies. Paul

Neppley

I wouldn't bother with removing it unless it is toxic to the fish you plan to add.

pberm1962

i don't know if it's toxic , I'm leaning towards airing on the side of caution and buying a new tank. tearing the tank down in a month or two because of mold or a water leak isnt worth saving 100 bucks on a used tank. i have the bow front stand that came with the used tank which will look nice refinished.i could give away the used tank to someone for feeder fish or dispose of. TX

Flyfisha

Hey pberm1962
My gut feeling is it will be fine . As soon as you cover the bass with dirt ,sand or gravel you will not see it.

However if it helps you sleep better don’t use it indoors .Buy a new tank.

You could still use it at the back door or in the garden . What I am saying is don’t throw it away . The colour is nothing to be concerned about. It’s only your peace of mind that is in question.
Some time in the future you could if you have an area outdoors set up a summer tub for tropical fish or like me an all year round home for cold water species. Depending on your climate?
D0872498-03A9-4F35-AE6E-D282FA906C10.jpeg
Plants as the only filter.

pberm1962

flyfisha, great advice, i have had it completely full of water since Sunday with no issues...i am going to refinish the base next week and i will leave the tank full to test it in the mean time. i can let you nice folks know what i decide .i know whatever way i go the responsibility is mine no matter what the results are.
i have a freshwater crayfish in my basement in a 10 gallon.maybe i could move him to the used 30 gallon in the basement if i choose to put a new one in my living room

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dave125g
Replies
Views
niswanger
Replies
Views
mooch91
Replies
Views
bNissan
Replies
Views
Red Fred

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

You can tag another member to get their attention in a thread by typing the @ symbol and then the forum member name. For example: type @Mike within your post and the forum will auto-link the name and send Mike a notification when you submit your thread or post.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom