Concerned for my fish of getting too cold

Zephyrski

Hi all. My power is currently down, and everything in my house is electric. Literally everything.
So I'm just a bit concerned for my fish because my house is generally cooling down quite rapidly. Is there maybe anything I could put around the tanks or something to help keep what heat is in there in?

BigManAquatics

Wrap a blanket around, should help insulate it.

Zephyrski

Wrap a blanket around, should help insulate it.
Well I'm willing to try. I'm assuming not over the top though right?

BigManAquatics

Well I'm willing to try. I'm assuming not over the top though right?
I might try it, even with a lid. That is where the openings usually are that heat can escape the quickest.

Zephyrski

I might try it, even with a lid. That is where the openings usually are that heat can escape the quickest.
It makes sense, might be a silly question, but won't that effect oxygen to the tank?

BigManAquatics

It makes sense, might be a silly question, but won't that effect oxygen to the tank?
Can always pull the blanket back every couple hours if concerned. My tanks only have opening up top big enough for an airline and my fish don't have breathing issues.

Redviper

Boost your house temp, and/or power your stove. JIC, let your electric company know what your situation is.

Zephyrski

Can always pull the blanket back every couple hours if concerned. My tanks only have opening up top big enough for an airline and my fish don't have breathing issues.
Ah okay. Thank you:)
Boost your house temp, and/or power your stove. JIC, let your electric company know what your situation is.
The heating in the house is powered by the electric and so is the stove unfortunately. I've actually been calling the electric company every hour hah.

Redviper

Ah okay. Thank you:)

The heating in the house is powered by the electric and so is the stove unfortunately. I've actually been calling the electric company every hour hah.
Sorry. I just assumed your house\appliances were as old as mine.

KingOscar

Carefully placed Sterno tray of baked mostaccioli below the tank in the stand. Fish stay warm and you have lunch!

mattgirl

Fish can handle lower temps for a short time. As it very gradually goes down they will probably get less active. When the electricity comes back on just let the heater gradually warm the water back up. Don't do water changes with warm water. That could warm them up too quickly. We want to let it warm up as gradually as it went down.

I would actually be more concerned about lack of water movement. This is when a battery operated air pump comes in handy. If you don't have one maybe you could get one. Keeping the tank covered isn't going to be what can cause less oxygen in the tank. Lack of water movement might though. The longer the electricity is off the less oxygen there will be in the tank.

If you can't get an air pump I do recommend you use a small container. Dip water out and holding it above the water pour it back in the tank. I would do this 3 or 4 times every hour or so. If this tank is very lightly stocked this may not be necessary but the more fish in a tank the more it is needed.

KingOscar

Just to be clear my post above regarding warming the tank with fire was serious, even though it was written in a humorous manner.

While it's true fish can endure cool downs for a period, there absolutely are limits! How cool and how long? What type of fish?

Back in the earlier years aquariums were built with slate bottoms specifically for heating in this manner.

If my fish were in serious danger I'd have little hesitation adding some candles or even a Sterno can fuel under any tank. It just needs to be well thought out and monitored. Lots of space above and around, and some type of a metal cover protecting the glass bottomed aquarium from direct heat in one spot. Gentle rising heat, not a barbeque!

If you still have access to hot water another option is to place buckets of hot water below the tank. Insulate well, change out when cool.

Fishnturtleguy933

It might sound crazy but using a cup to scoop tank water and dumping it back into the tank every couple of hours will help add oxygen to your tank. Not much but enough to help till your power comes back.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Konfusion101
Replies
Views
Mrktcr
  • Question
Replies