Concerned about my mystery snails

Whiskcop

I have two snails a black and gold the gold one lately has been floating lately alot and did a few strange things tonight I was hoping to buy fish soon for a twenty gallon tank but how they are acting a little concerned... what is it doing?.

AltVzn

I've only had snails for a week and half or so, but here's what I know, and I hope I can help
This may be long sorry!

So, I have two mystery snails and I have them in a 10 gallon, and your mystery snail seems to be like my black mystery snail, Kuro

In general, I believe snails are very strange, but their cute face and interesting features make up for it. The way they act... stressed me out. A lot. They're different.

The first time I saw Kuro float (for quite some time), I was stressed, I didn't know if it was my water, or if he's sick, etc. So the first, I took him out of the tank, woke him up, and he came out like: "I'm alive!"

Then I put him back in and he was normal. Days passed and he repeated this action quite often, but it's just his preferred way to sleep, the other is to be just below the water surface.

Whereas my tiny yellow mystery snail, Shiro, she prefers the bottom or mid level to sleep. One time, she was just at a tip of decoration with a closed shell (her body slightly hanging out). Again... I panicked. Luckily her shell is kinda see through. I used my phone flashlight and her insides were still moving/breathing/pulsing.

How long have you had them? What kind of fish are you adding? Their antennas seem to be a target for fish... so be careful. Though they're not as harmed, and I believe they'll grow back in 2 weeks (pure research there). But still hurts you know XDDD But my snails share their tank with my betta and they get along just well with their antennas extended to the fullest

However, this may also be a sign that your water parameters aren't what they like. If it's the water parameters (if there's high ammonia/nitrites/very high nitrates), then I suggest a water change. But keep in mind to try and keep the same water temperature

I hope I helped, sorry for writing so long!

Whiskcop

I do appreciate any advice given thank you. I have had my snails for a month now and the floating I know is normal but how he was coming more out of his shell in the photos is what I am concerned about also k have a black one that has been sitting near the top of the tank lately sometimes at the bottom and they use to be bottom snails and all over at times. I did a part water change because I was cleaning the gravel and since then they have been acting like this. I have a thermometer and an indicator if the ammonia is high or the ph but no.clue about the nitrates. The ammonia is only a little high. I only have the two snails in a twenty gallon high tank with a filter and a bubble wall

Kribensis27

The slightly high ammonia might be what’s causing it. Invertebrates notice that stuff faster than fish. Just do a 50% water change to get that down. My blacks also do this sometimes. It appears to just be normal mystery snail weirdness.

Bettybrown922

I have to agree with the opinion so far. They might be reacting to the ammonia, but chances are they're just being mysterious mystery snails. I had 160 babies in a 2.5 gallon tank. I had to change the water every single day, but the ammonia would still reach at least 2.0ppm by the end of 24 hours. Almost every single snail not only survived, but the ones I kept have thrived. I used to get easily freaked out by their different behaviors, but I'm learning to relax and just let them be weird. So long as they don't smell like death warmed over, I know they're alive and most likely well.

Kribensis27

Bettybrown922 said:
I have to agree with the opinion so far. They might be reacting to the ammonia, but chances are they're just being mysterious mystery snails. I had 160 babies in a 2.5 gallon tank. I had to change the water every single day, but the ammonia would still reach at least 2.0ppm by the end of 24 hours. Almost every single snail not only survived, but the ones I kept have thrived. I used to get easily freaked out by their different behaviors, but I'm learning to relax and just let them be weird. So long as they don't smell like death warmed over, I know they're alive and most likely well.
They’re such weird little guys.

Whiskcop

This is what my readings say I do not have a nitrate test have no.clue where to get one.

Bettybrown922

Whiskcop said:
This is what my readings say I do not have a nitrate test have no.clue where to get one.
Your ammonia looks fine. Honestly, I can never read the pH one. I got so frustrated with it, I recently removed it. If you can afford it, an API Master Kit is a must-have for aquarium owners. If it's too pricey, 5 in 1 strips have nitrate testing on them. They don't generally have ammonia testing, though.

AltVzn

Bettybrown922 said:
For real, they just like to stress you out with their behaviour

I think it's just that they're so active we expect then to act more like a fish than a snail XDDDD

But- a snail will be a snail, weird but cute lil' things loll

Whiskcop

Ok thank you everyone i feel relieved everything is ok i will still do a partial water change it is smelling a.little

AltVzn

Whiskcop said:
Ok thank you everyone i feel relieved everything is ok i will still do a partial water change it is smelling a.little
I've never smelt a dead snail before, but I heard that you do smell a dead snail, you can't really say "a little."

So I think you're fine XDDD

Just don't stress and I wish you the best!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom