Concern for my new guppies

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Scanlon, Apr 5, 2010.

1. S

Scanlon Valued Member Member

Hi all,

I hope someone can help I have just got four new yellow guppies and am concerned at that behavior. They are my first fish in. Once I acclimatised them they swam to the bottom and hid behind some plants and driftwood, after about twenty mins they came to the top just under the surface. Five mins after that they started to break the surface. I already had a pump and airstone setup, so turned it on, not long after they started to explore their new home.

For the last few hours three have been sat just below the surface and not moving from about a 5 cm circle, with they other one is doing the same by the filter staying in excatly the same place.

Am I worrying for no reason or is there something up?

Thanks

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hello. :)
    Can you tell us the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? Also, what are the tankmates?

3. OP
    OP
    S

Scanlon Valued Member Member

Hi Meenu,

I checked all my levels this morning and also took sample to the LFS who confirmed they were ok.

My readings
    Ammonia 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 6

first time at doing the whole cycle thing, that's why I took the sample with me.

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

hi scanlon!!
    how did you cycle the tank so fast in a few days? if you can get your own test kit, that would probably be best...because I dont think the tank is cycled even if the store readings say it was....api makes a great liquid master kit that has everything you need.....im not surprised theres no ammonia/nitrites so fast, but am surprised you have nitrates..unless you have some in your tap water already...heres a good link to read because you are going to have ammonia/nitrites at some point, and are going to have to start on daily water changes when that happens.. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/61238-3-best-if-cycling-fish.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice