Computer Tank Update:

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by nickjones799, Apr 13, 2017.

1. n

nickjones799 Valued Member Member

Well it is done. I have finished the tank completely and now have 6 neon tetras living happily inside the tank. I plan to get a few more fish soon so if you have a recommendation feel free to throw it at me. I'm also considering getting some more live plants/aquas cape as i feel like the tank is a little barren? is this necessary or is it OK the way it is?

upload_2017-4-13_19-32-50.png

upload_2017-4-13_19-45-29.png

upload_2017-4-13_19-46-10.png

2. vijay3242

vijay3242 Well Known Member Member

How does it all work

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Ok, firstly, that is so cool. As a self-confessed computer and aquarium nerd, I just love everything you have going on there. A sump integrated with the boards...cool cool cool. For suggestions, maybe some livebearers? Like mollies or guppies, they add nice color. Anyways, super awesome, had to comment! Thanks for sharing!

4. OP
    OP
    n

It relatively simple actually. The computer is constantly running a program that works to always keep its CPU running hot. The heat from the CPU the transfers into the aluminum heat sync that is in the smaller tank. This warms up the water in the small tank. Then the cycle begins. The large tank acts as a resistor for the smaller tank and i use the PVC pipe tube as a way to keep both sides constantly balanced. I created a vacuum by sucking all the air out of the tube essentially creating a water bridge. This water bridge pulls water from the large tank into the smaller working to always keep both at the same level. This is what feeds the cool water back into the smaller tank. The warm water is pulled out of this tank through the tubing you see which utilizes the pump on the filter to suck out and filter the water before adding the warmer water back into the tank. I have worked very hard to get everything dialed in to make the flow rates equal as well as make sure the tank doesn't go above 80 degrees. If you need any further explanation please feel free to ask.

5. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Oh I see, your just basically running an osmotically pressurized system that utilizes the temperature difference and the vacuums of the various filters and tubing to drive everything. Dang...what an idea. Amazing what a little simply chemistry and physics can create!

6. Rohit mess

Rohit mess Valued Member Member

Thats a awesum crestive setup
    As for decos, getting plants to cover up tubing will be good. Try java moss (stick it on tubings). I have seen some while googling. Hoping someone with a better plan helps u out

7. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

This is spectacular and brings a whole new meaning to "watercooled CPU"! Being a computer nerd myself and building my first PC last year, I am extremely impressed with this "aquarium heater"!

I may have to steal this idea and overclock my CPU even further!

8. Nanologist

BTW, how did you get the cooler radiator sealed in that small tank without it leaking onto the CPU!?

9. OP
    OP
    n

Sorry for not getting back to you, I actually cut a hole and used RTV to seal it that way the heat would not effect it then sealed it again with fish safe silicone.

10. Nanologist

Awesome! Definitely going to make a PC aquarium someday when my current build becomes outdated. Thanks for the response!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice