Computer Problems

1. fbn Well Known Member Member

Any computer friendly people out there? I definitely am not, and I have been experiencing some problems. Grrrrrr.

Threats keep getting detected, but once I try to move them to the "vault" (which is the recommended action according to AVG), it somehow cannot find the file. The first few threats that I "moved to the vault" were successful in finding the file(s), though. If I click "view file", it leads me to "my documents" and the only thing in there is a paper I wrote for school. Should I delete it?

Also, when these problems started arising, I downloaded an anti-malware program called Malwarebytes. So, I did a scan. Two problems. So, to "fix" them, it has me restart my computer. So, I did that, then ran another scan as soon as the computer turned back on. It ALWAYS says there is something infected (I've ran it many times). It says it is a "Trojan.Agent". The "item" is almost always "C:\Windows\svchost.exe.

My anti-virus is AVG Free. I also did some scans with that. It doesn't recognize any threats\infections during the scan.

Another thing I noticed since this started happening, Google will not work correctly. I will Google something like "betta care profile". After waiting, results will come up (usually the results are almost instantly). I'll click into a result, for example, badmanstropicalfish.com. Instead of taking me to that webpage, it sends me to another search engine, such as Butterfly.

Any ideas on what I should do? Thanks!

Edit: Also, sometimes when "threats are detected", it will say it is from a website that I have never visited. Some of those websites are on this list. http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/webthreats/

The yieldmanager dot com I have accidentally clicked on before.

2. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

sounds like what you have is a trojan malware bug. Some of these are very hard little buggers to rid your machine of.

The only full proof way I know to get rid of them without hunting down specifics is to reinstall windows (assuming your on a windows machine). There are usually other methods out there to find the file that causes the problem and tips and tricks to remove it.

There are plenty of things that can hide under that heading of SVCHOST, here is a link explaining it and a way to see whats going on.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

If you can do some basic computer work there are several ways to figure out whats wrong, one of the easiest I have used in the past is hijackthis, it is a free program and can tell you about a lot of things. You can also see whats really running on your machine and use the program to disable things. Now before you get all happy, you can also really mess up your computer with it too if your not careful. If you want to attempt this yourself I recommend finding a free computer forum that has a hijakthis area that you can post your log file into and they will help you to determine the best way to handle the problems.

3. fbn Well Known Member Member

Thank you so much Pirahnah! I will have to look into this..

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I have had to deal with my share of worms and trojans, that is one of the main reasons I swapped out to mac's

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:In post #1, I have edited the YieldManager link so that it isn't clickable. I wasn't going to click on it to find out what it was for. :)

Thanks!

Ken

6. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I recommend spending a little money on a true antivirus.

Kaspersky and bitdefender are both amazing and relatively cheap in comparison to the norton and AVG rubbish out there.

I know it seems stupid to pay for it, but some thing just have to be done. Prevention is always a better cure than reaction.

7. fbn Well Known Member Member

Thanks Ken! I'm not exactly sure what link that was... All I remember is typing the name YieldManager; I don't remember giving a link to it. Sorry about that!

Thanks for the input iZao! I'll definitely bring that into consideration.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I can fix it:

Ken

Attached Files:

9. fbn Well Known Member Member

NOOO Ken!! Haha :)

10. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know how to boot in to safe mode? If so, boot in to safe mode and than run an Online scan with eset. www.eset.com/onlinescan Also from safe mode, I would suggest running a malwarebytes scan. Both things I've listen are free.

11. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;fruI have got a few of these worms and I have defeated them. However, I had to put in hours sometimes days to figure out exactly where the problem lays and how to fix it. A lot of the down loadable anti-virus programs are imbedded with spyware and viruses themselves. I made that mistake once. Take iZaO advise and buy a really good antivirus program. This still may not catch the problem and you may have to reinstall windows. Some of the worms are so malichious that they can't be detected or once you see the symptoms, it is too late. The whle thing makes me sick. ;:barf

Wendy

12. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

AVG does not come imbedded with malware... worms are a little different then what you are describing.

Your best bet for disinfecting your computer will be scanning from safe mode.

13. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree. We use AVG Free in our business. It is a great program and works better than many paid anti-virus programs.

@OP - Which browser are you using? Safe Mode is your best option. Some attacks we've had to manually delete because they continually replicate and regenerate.

HijackThis is a great program, but be careful with what you delete as you can crash your OS. Just be careful.

I often use antivirus.com for their free online search. There is no single antivirus app that will catch everything as the virus/trojan/worm/spyware/keylogger/malware must be identified before it can be blocked. And those who write these codes are getting much smarter and more trickier in attempting to hide.

Good luck.

14. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would also like to state that most antivirus programs do not detect worms and trojans as they are not really viruses persay, sometimes you need other free software such as adaware or spybot, both were free last I knew, and were good at finding things hiding in the system.

15. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

He already scanned with malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is uber! It can be hard to detect an infection while running Windows normally. It's much easier to hide with all the processes and services running. Safe mode as far me effective for virus scans.