computer nerds needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bankruptjojo, Dec 2, 2012.

1. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

im going to be building my first gaming pc. i was wondering if we had any one here that could help, or direct me to a good forum for help.

if there is anyone here that is VERY experienced with this and wants to help let me know and ill start posting links and asking questions about what i was thinking. im not clueless here but as said this will be my first build.

thanks

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Why hello there! I'm a computer technician. Also, a massive gamer/geek ;D What do you want to know?! What kind of budget are you looking at? Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

3. h

hobo Valued Member Member

My two boys are big gamers the best way to go is to build your own rig way cheaper they built two gamming rigs top of the line with really nice cases no prior experience

4. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

Probably the biggest challenge is overclocking. Some components are mediocre when in default mode but awesome when overclocked.

Are you considering a gaming laptop?

If a desktop then you could copy or improve on the configuration above. Bigger secondary harddrive or a second GTX graphics card in SLI mode. Cooling is also an issue especially when overclocking whether it be fan cooled or water cooled.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  5. OP
    OP
    bankruptjojo

i currently have 1 laptop and one desktop. the desktop is nothing special, i think im going to give it to someone i know.

budget? i like to think i dont have a budget lol but i dont want to throw money away either.

here is what im looking at.

processor...
    intel core i5-3570k
    or if its worth the extra $ the
    intel core i7-3770k
    or even amd route
    amd fx-8150, liquid cooled

graphics card...
    Radeon HD 7970, any opinions on brands if i go this route? Sapphire?
    or
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680

not sure on motherboards but here is what i have seen so far.
    Boxed Intel Desktop Board Extreme Series, BOXDP67BGB3 for intel
    or
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA, GA-Z77X-UD3H
    or if i go amd,
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3

hard drives...
    Intel 520 Series Solid-State Drive 120 GB
    and
    Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB

case?... maybe
    Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower
    or
    Fractal Design Define R4 Case

power...
    Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750 Watt

will liquid cooling be worth it?

worry about ram and wifi later...

so as you can see money is not the most important factor but i would like to find that perfect sweet spot between cost and effectiveness. thanks guys!

6. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

I'm a gamer geek, but sadly clueless when it comes to the tech. I'll be taking notes on this thread tho!! :;nin2

We usually ask a group of folks in the Old Timer's Guild, lots of great folks in that group and it spans across lots of online and regular games. So may not be personally in the know, but I gots connections hehe.

7. C

I'd go with the 3570k, best bang for the buck when gaming. I'd also take the nvidia 680. I'm a big AMD fan but I think the 680 is better value right now.

I've built several systems with the antec 300. It's a good, solid case but a little bland.

For a motherboard, have you thought about the EVGA 131-IB-E695-KR Z75

8. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

I wouldn't bother with liquid cooling, air cooling does a fine job. I would go with the i5 rather than the 7, you'll get plenty of processing power.
    Part of the video card requirement will depend on your chosen monitor- its size, resolution, and what quality setting you want to play at.
    If you go AMD on the video card, XFX is a great brand, very responsive support. You never want anything to go bad but its nice to know they back up there stuff (personal exp just last month with them).

9. C

My last 3 or 4 video cards have been sapphire. They have good, responsive tech support. They are one the top Radeon card makers.

10. aquatic

I've got a solid one in the wife's PC, just never had to deal with support, which is a good thing :)
    I would lean toward nvidia cards at the moment as they seem to update drivers more often for gaming.

11. C

I've been having great luck with my AMD drivers. I think the 680 is a better card. Drivers, honestly aren't that different. I've been playing a lot of games in beta recently. Nvidia cards have been having just as many drivers issues as AMD.

Personally, I wouldn't do an SSD. They still have a higher fail rate than a normal drive. I'd do 2 WD raptors in raid 0.   5 year warranty on the raptors is great!

12. matsungit

I5 isn't worth it IMO. Go for I7 or the fastest AMDs (cheaper). ASUS and Gigabyte have been reliable IME. I'm partial with NVIDIA since ATI has given me a few problems with compatibility (get 2 for SLI mode). Motherboard boils down to whether you want extensive overclocking or simple and stable. I'd love to get my hands on the ASUS motherboard you mentioned. With cooling, Zalman CNPS9900A has served me well although there might be better ones out there now (be careful the fin blades are sharp). It's humungous and barely fits my mid tower casing and you need to install it in the motherboard before installing on the casing. There's a reinforcing brace you need to install on the back of processor silo on the MB. You'll know if you need better cooling once you get everything together. With the casing, just make sure there's efficient airflow. Convenient connectors and mounting options come second. Liquid cooling should be an option if you lack airflow and need more cooling later on. Make sure the motherboard and cooling fan are for the same socket processor chip. Don't forget to buy a good thermal paste as some that are included may have already dried up from storage. Don't skimp on the RAMs, buy the fast ones. In the end, everything you invest on the hardware won't matter if you have a slow network connection. Do you have a gigabit router and a fast internet?

13. OP
    OP
    bankruptjojo

ok its settled iv already read most like the intel i5 so ill go that way.

well im looking on amazon and the nvidia 680 is $470 but the Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB is only $380. so the radeon is $100 cheaper.

i have not seen that motherboard. ill do some research on it, im guessing that is what you would recommend for this setup?

well i have a samsung monitor now not sure the specs ill have to find the manual. im also planning on hooking it up to my brand new :) 55in samsung smart tv.

ill look into xfx if i go amd.

ill skip the liquid cooling then.

14. OP
    OP
    bankruptjojo

really i have heard nothing speeds things up like SSD. intel's does come with a decent warranty. ill deff check out the hard drive you listed.

15. C

Gigabit lan isn't going to affect much unless you have a gigabit connection.

As of right now, I wouldn't buy one of the AMD processors. Their single threaded capabilities are far lacking. Multi core on them is uber but there are still tons of apps that only use 1 thread.

There really isn't any benefit of getting the i7 over i5.

16. aquatic

What games are you looking to play on your gaming rig?

17. aquatic

I've never RAIDed my systems but I'm loving the speed of my ocz SSD.

18. C

For ram, Patriot, Crucial and Gskill are all very good. I'd go for something like this  

SSD's are indeed fast. still, less reliable than a platter drive.

19. matsungit

You're right. In my case it helps a lot. I rip large archives directly to my file server and gigabit is practically necessary to move 4gb iso files.

20. C

Yeah, moving massive files across lan, it is very nice. I love it for lan parties too! But if for the average gamer, not really must.

If you wana be a real geek, flash your router with dd-wrt ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice