Complication in moulting process in my 1 year crayfish

mukta
my crayfish has moulted four times before since he was in my possession with no complications but this time with much difficulty he was able to shed his entire old shell except the claws .he was able to shed 3/4 portion of both claws appendages but failed to take out its claws from the old one .As a result both his claw appendages are longer than usual and deformed.he is able to maintain his position but moving around is difficult.This whole process took almost last 24 hours or more but now at present i see he has stopped trying to moult and the concerned appendages are harder where the new and the old meets.
i am so worried.can i do something to help him in any way and also is there any chances of it getting rectified in the next moulting and what are the precautions i need to take at present.

Advertisement
richiep
First off can you show some closeup photos
Can he grip things

mukta
thanks for your reply.attaching photos.

Attachments

• 20210719_191204.jpg
    20210719_191204.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210719_191119.jpg
    20210719_191119.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 48
Advertisement
richiep
Is he griping things with the failed claws if not you can take him out and gently cover his body to hold him down and hold the new claw and gently see if the old shell can be pulled away, if not he may deliberately shed that part of the limb which will grow back on the next moult, in the meantime you will have to break his food into very small parts so he can eat
Also check out your perameters as there must be a reason for this to happen

mukta
ok.i have witnessed a little movement in the claw area but not seen him gripping anything yet. right now i can see a small portion of his old shell coming out.he may be trying to shed a little more.As i have never held him i will try to do as you suggested .so relieved to know he may get back his claws in the next moult.hoping for the best.i will take care of his diet and also check the water parameter again although i make it a point to do water change regularly .Thanks for your suggestion.

Advertisement
richiep
You can't do no more than you are, be gently picking him up he may still be a little soft, he will lift his claws up but won't reach behind, It sounds like just a bad moult,
If there's a gap between the the old and new shell you will be able to get a very small pointed scissors and gently cut the old shell, but that depends how confident you are.
Give him a little while to see if he can remove the shell but don't let it go on for days as he will get more stressed

mukta
yesterday when he was having difficulty in moulting i thought of assisting him but was not sure if it was the right thing to do.That time the shell was softer and suppose would have been easier.just now i tried after reading your reply but no success unfortunately.i dont want to stress him more.he is doing his little bit to shed on his own.positive news is he ate a little bit a while ago.

Advertisement
richiep
Eating is a good sign, if he carries on eating like that he should moult the old shell off next time.
You know what needs to be done if he's having problems up until then, and you've handled him so your confidence will help you.
How long between moults any idea

mukta
the gaps between moults varies in his case.

richiep
Any developments let us know

mukta
sure i will.thanks

mukta
hi todays update .My crayfish seems to be deveoping confidence using both his claw appendages and his movement has also improved.

richiep
Thats Good to know, he should improve all the time now, if he dose loose them don't worry, as I said they will regrow,
Keep thd calcium intake going so he will condition the shell for the next moult

mukta
thanks for your advice and assurance.i will take good care of his diet.can you suggest me some calcium rich food which i can give him at this point of time.

richiep
Is he excepting veg

mukta
i tried with green peas but he did not eathe ate a little bit of algae wafers..

richiep
Try him on spinach put in boiling water for 40 seconds, then use a tongs and offer it to him, also try broccoli stem cooked

mukta
ok

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
HJK
Replies
Views
Platyarelife
Replies
Views
5150Jim