Completing A 20gal Long Tank

M4TTSA
Hey guys! First post here. I have a 20gal long tank that I'm trying to fill up with fish.
I already have:

6x Green Neon Tetra
1x Bristlenose Pleco
1x Anubias on Driftwood

Any suggestions on a bigger fish that would standout?

75g Discus Tank
I would increase the green neons to 12 so they are happier.

Most bigger colorful fish might attack the green neons.

If you get a smaller betta, it might get used to the green neons as it grows.

M4TTSA
I would increase the green neons to 12 so they are happier.

Most bigger colorful fish might attack the green neons.

If you get a smaller betta, it might get used to the green neons as it grows.

I was thinking about increasing the number of neons in the tank as well. How do you think 2 german blue rams would fare?

BRDrew
You could get a pair of paradise fish I believe, they look really good. I have seen people keeping angels and even discus in a 20G but I would not recommend.

I think the 2 german blue rams you suggested could work but I don't know much about them.

75g Discus Tank
GBR's like warmer water so up the temp to around 80-82 which will make all of the fish happy.

GBR's shoud be fine but provide them with a lot of caves and hiding areas.

Also, when they breed, they become really aggressive.

Fanatic
I personally wouldn’t advise keeping a bristlenose in a 20 gallon.

M4TTSA
I personally wouldn’t advise keeping a bristlenose in a 20 gallon.

May I ask why? Also, what would a better replacement be? Thanks

TexasDomer
GBRs need warmer temps than BN plecos, so I wouldn't add those. I would also take out the BN pleco though - they get around 5" and have a heavy bioload, and a 20 gal doesn't give them much room/volume. You could rehome the pleco and get 2 GBRs then? You don't need to replace it - you are the best at preventing and controlling algae.

M4TTSA
GBRs need warmer temps than BN plecos, so I wouldn't add those. I would also take out the BN pleco though - they get around 5" and have a heavy bioload, and a 20 gal doesn't give them much room/volume. You could rehome the pleco and get 2 GBRs then? You don't need to replace it - you are the best at preventing and controlling algae.

Do you think my LFS would take it? It's only at most 1-2in right now. Thank you for the insight.

TexasDomer
They might! Worth asking.

So then you could do 10-15x green neons and 2x GBR. Sounds like a great tank!

M4TTSA
They might! Worth asking.

So then you could do 10-15x green neons and 2x GBR. Sounds like a great tank!

Thank you so much for the help! Any thoughts on shrimp or would the other fish eat them?

75g Discus Tank
Thank you so much for the help! Any thoughts on shrimp or would the other fish eat them?
I would try larger ghost shrimp or amano shrimp just in case because they grow a bit bigger and have a less likely chance to be eaten.

For feeding, NLS, Omega One, frozen foods, and homemade foods are my favorites.

M4TTSA
I would try larger ghost shrimp or amano shrimp just in case because they grow a bit bigger and have a less likely chance to be eaten.

For feeding, NLS, Omega One, frozen foods, and homemade foods are my favorites.

Awesome, thank you!

Edit: How should I go about aquarium lighting?

TexasDomer
M4TTSA
Depends - are you trying to grow live plants?

I bought an Anubias from my LFS the was already attached to a piece of driftwood. That's pretty much the extent to which I plan to put in my tank.

TexasDomer
Anubias are easy to grow, so that's good.

Do you have a hood or a glass lid or no lid?

M4TTSA
Anubias are easy to grow, so that's good.

Do you have a hood or a glass lid or no lid?

No lid

TexasDomer
If you want something cheap but made for aquariums, Finnex's Stingray or a Beamswork would be great. If you want to do DIY lighting, you could easily use two dome work lights with plant friendly bulbs (also cheap)

M4TTSA
Sounds good, thank you!

M4TTSA
If you want something cheap but made for aquariums, Finnex's Stingray or a Beamswork would be great. If you want to do DIY lighting, you could easily use two dome work lights with plant friendly bulbs (also cheap)

Do I need a cover for my aquarium for those lights?

TexasDomer
Not if your filter/air pump doesn't make water splash on them. I've used Finnex and dome lights over lidless tanks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sarah K
Replies
Views
Colt Frost
Replies
Views
Ronniethewitch
Top Bottom