Completely new to freshwater

Deberber

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’ve been doing saltwater reef tanks for awhile and have gotten pretty used to them. Branching out and doing something a little different, a 10 gallon freshwater. Got the basics in equipment (Heater, filter, etc).
I had some questions about stocking and substrate. I would love for this to be a planted tank. Wondering what substrate would be good, maybe a mix of sand and gravel for certain things including fish.

In terms of fish, pretty clueless about them besides the basic groupings such as tetras, danios, guppies and Molly’s, and corys. Wondering what stocking tips y’all might have when it comes time to that as well as good easy plants to care for. Only thing I’d like to stay away from are Molly’s, they just remind me too much of goldfish for some reason lol.

OP
Deberber

Deberber

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you! I actually like how those would look. One with the lower flatter leaves and the java would look nice to cover the tank equipment

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would also recommend an inert substrate. Less to worry about in the long run and many beginner plants will thrive in it with proper fertilization.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to freshwater. If you mix sand/ gravel(rocks) the rocks will slowly make their way to the top of the sand. So usually you want to stick with one single substrate. What kid of plants do you want? Root plants, floating, stem, rhizome? Depending on plants you may want a planted tank substrate.

OP
Deberber

Deberber

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FinalFins said:
Hi, welcome to freshwater. If you mix sand/ gravel(rocks) the rocks will slowly make their way to the top of the sand. So usually you want to stick with one single substrate. What kid of plants do you want? Root plants, floating, stem, rhizome? Depending on plants you may want a planted tank substrate.
I am thinking about doing rooted plants. I’d like them to be able to get pretty full

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OP
Deberber

Deberber

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Noroomforshoe said:
You do not have much room for fish. You could look for more rare nano fish if you want to up the number of fish.
So, maybe galaxy rasbora or other micro rasbora.
pencil fish, pygmy hatchet fish, sparkling gourami...

for more common fish
6 harlequin rasbora
or
endlers live bearers, 3 females per male or all the same sex "same sex no breeder, better option for a ten gallon"
or
6 ember tetra
or
3 american flag fish
or a betta fish
Thanks for the input! Definitely am going for the aesthetic look in this tank with plants and some driftwood, do not so worried about number of fish. A school of about 6 schooling tetras would be ideal. I have thought about the flame or ember tetras as I think they’re red coloring would pop nice once the plants start growing in. I would like to have a slightly larger fish, 2.5-3” for a “centerpiece” in time once the tank would get more established as well as two octocinclus catfish.

Mandy627

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have some small rocket killifish in a full planted tank, they are a tad more interesting than tetras in my opinion. they are peaceful and have pretty blue eyes too.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Deberber said:
I am thinking about doing rooted plants. I’d like them to be able to get pretty full
Ok, in that case either root tabs or a planted substrate is recommended, try crypts or look for dwarf Vallisneria.

For fish, you could start with pygmy cories, clown killifish(aka rocket killis) or a pair of florida flagfish. If you really wanted look fro pygmy sunfish, but they would need live/frozen foods.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A single betta, or a flag fish, maybe 2 flag fish are about the only larger centerpeice type fish for a ten gallon. but with the variety of betta fish, and the beauty of the flag fish, you don't need to feel limited in any way.

OP
Deberber

Deberber

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For those that recommended a flagfish, that would be an absolutely beautiful fish for this tank. Had no idea those existed.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I saw A sign "Florida flag fish" at a fish only store a while ago, went home, did some research, they are a killI fish, I read that they can get aggressive, usually if they get overly hungry. And that they won't fully color up without dark substrate and background. And I did not get them cause I hate aggressive fish. but then I saw them again a few months later, And I had a tank with sturdy fish, I got 2 females and one male. They quickly colored up, the male showing full mating colors even though I have light colored gravel and mixed colored background. And they are not aggressive, just a bit frantic and pushy during feeding. Though I have heard stories of them getting aggressive towards other species, so keep that in mind when making your decision.

Blintok57FL

Reaction score
for fast growing and or easy plants

Staurogyne Repens. (foreground)
Water wisteria (Hydrophila difformis) (background)
Marsilea Hirsute (foreground)
Ludwigia Repens (back ground)
Vallisneria (background -corners)

in my 9gal I have 5 guppies, 4 ember tetra and 3 sterbaI cory. But as mentioned above the Harlequin Rasbora is a hardy and fun fish.

from what I have found is that Tetra, Danio, Rasbora and Platies are hardy and easy to care for fish.

New Threads