Completely new here

1. l

lefty182 New Member Member

Hello everyone. I am new to aquariums but I want to start my own saltwater aquarium. I was doing some research on aquariums to get and I really like the look of the BioCube's. Im going to be putting this in my bedroom so I can't get anything TOO big.

I don't really have any clue about corals or anything of that matter. I just wanted someone to point me in the right direction starting my tank and what I would need for it.

Thanks!

2. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Welcome!:;hi2 I don't really know much about saltwater tanks but there are several people on here that are pretty much experts...I am sure one of them will have some ideas for you!

3. OP
    OP
    l

lefty182 New Member Member

Cool. Thanks for the reply! :)

4. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

hi there and welcome! :) i also don't have any experience with saltwater tanks, but if you are completely new to fish i would probably suggest starting with a freshwater tank as they are MUCH easier to maintain and also less expensive

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

6. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

Hi there,

Keeping corals is just making sure you have proper intense lighting and good water chemistry :) You can feed it to make them grow faster, but completely unnecessarily. Here's a link that will explain about water chemistry for reef tanks

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

What size/type of bio cube are you looking at? A good book that explains things really well when I started is called;
    NATURAL REEF AQUARIUMS Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Microcosms

Also, try and get the biggest tank you could get. It'll be a lot more interesting and most importantly easier to maintain.

ATP,
    :;f:;fb:;fg:;fr:;f

7. d

dave.brandon7 New Member Member

hello there

Ive just started my first saltwater about two weeks ago. I have experiance with fresh water so I new the basics before I started. In my apinion saltwater are more exotic tanks and i would say go for it. BUT: do plenty of research first because there is alot more to a saltwater tank than fresh water. I was on google for a month, planning everything before I bought a thing, first decide what type of marine setup you want...
    there are three types...

fish only FO.,, this is not the recomended way due to filtration not being the best. however it works, its much much cheaper and by far the easiest. no need for expensive lights. its pretty much the same as looking after a fresh water tank with only a couple of extra things to monitor and seeing as you are new to the hobby I think would be best.

second is fish only with live rock.or FOWLR. the filtration is much better and with enough live rock no filter will be needed however live rock is very expensive about £15 a kg in the UK

third is coral reef tanks, by far the most expensive and most exotic tanks, wich require a great deal of time and comitment. the light required will no dout cost more than the tank, the power needed is about 3-5watts a gallon I think. if you do take this route the main lights that can deliver this power is from a metal halide bulb, these lights are very expensive. also the water in these tanks has to be of the highest standard even the nitrates need to be almost undetectable.

other things to consider before setting up a marine tank is the cost of salt and reverse osmossis RO water(tap water cant be used)

so I would suggest a fish only because once the tank fully matures there is always the option of upgrading

I have a 150g saltwater tank that takes over my front room, It is still cycling at the moment but it looks awsome.