Completely/Evenly Random Discussion 2: The Randomer Discussion - Page 72

Amazoniantanklvr

S/he only looks dull. Are there any dammagede fins?

jinjerJOSH22

Amazoniantanklvr said:
S/he only looks dull. Are there any dammagede fins?
Nope, like I said lights have just come on.

Amazoniantanklvr

Nope to what?

jinjerJOSH22

Amazoniantanklvr said:
Nope to what?
Was just a about to edit that was a terrible reply

No torn fins.

It’s hard to see what I’m on about because it’s dull in colour. There’s like scuffling on its head.

Amazoniantanklvr

Try feeding a protien rich diet to bring out the color.

jinjerJOSH22

Amazoniantanklvr said:
Try feeding a protien rich diet to bring out the color.
It’s usually brighter :D
It gets Cichlid pellets and frozen food as well as some of the algae based foods.

PascalKrypt

jkkgron2 said:
Ok, so this is pretty random so I figured I’d post it here.
They have 20 gallon highs and 20 gallon longs, why don’t they just have a normal 20?? To be honest it seems Pretty weird..
What would "normal" look like. Personally I think 20 highs are 'normal' 20s, but that may be because 20 longs don't exist here. If you want a tank that length, you get the equivalent of a 30 gallon.

Amazoniantanklvr

jinjerJOSH22 said:
It’s usually brighter :D
It gets Cichlid pellets and frozen food as well as some of the algae based foods.
Then why don you think that it would sell?

jinjerJOSH22

Amazoniantanklvr said:
Then why don you think that it would sell?
It’d be given but I don’t like the idea of giving them a fish that isn’t in good health.

PascalKrypt is the Dwarf GouramI Colisa or Trichogaster or We’llchangethisnameatanytime?
That last one wasn’t actually a option but is probably the right name

Amazoniantanklvr

If you know that it is healthy and there are no parasites that I'd say that you should give it away. Just because there are imperfections doesn't mean that the fish isn't healthy. A peppered discus can be healthy and spawn. The peppering doesn't make it any less healthy.

PascalKrypt

jinjerJOSH22 said:
PascalKrypt is the Dwarf GouramI Colisa or Trichogaster or We’llchangethisnameatanytime?
That last one wasn’t actually a option but is probably the right name
Sounds about right.
yes I'm still working on that guide my dear, this little tidbit is included in it.

Trichogaster is the correct, modern genus name. Colisa is the old name used for this genus (Honeys are often still labeled Colisa Chuna instead of Trichogaster Chuna. The latter is correct, the former defunct).

Trichogaster genus includes the species:
Lalia - Dwarf
Chuna - Honey
Fasciata - Banded
Labiosa - Thick-Lipped
and one of the larger ones that are more uncommon, either Pectoralis (Snakeskin) or Moonlight maybe whose latin name I don't know by heart.

Trichopodus includes LeeriI (Pearl) and Three Spot (sorrynoidea). Trichopsis are the vittata, schellerI and pumila, the sparkling and croaking gourami.

I think that's all of the commonly traded ones right? owo I feel like I'm missing something.

jinjerJOSH22

PascalKrypt said:
Sounds about right.
yes I'm still working on that guide my dear, this little tidbit is included in it.

Trichogaster is the correct, modern genus name. Colisa is the old name used for this genus (Honeys are often still labeled Colisa Chuna instead of Trichogaster Chuna. The latter is correct, the former defunct).

Trichogaster genus includes the species:
Lalia - Dwarf
Chuna - Honey
Fasciata - Banded
Labiosa - Thick-Lipped
and one of the larger ones that are more uncommon, either Pectoralis (Snakeskin) or Moonlight maybe whose latin name I don't know by heart.

Trichopodus includes LeeriI (Pearl) and Three Spot (sorrynoidea). Trichopsis are the vittata, schellerI and pumila, the sparkling and croaking gourami.

I think that's all of the commonly traded ones right? owo I feel like I'm missing something.
Three Spot = Trichopterus

Edit: You know I’m expecting a lot from this guide :D

PascalKrypt

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Three Spot = Trichopterus

Edit: You know I’m expecting a lot from this guide :D
Whoop there it is!
(Dunno why but that sounds like Pterodactylus to me)

Ahahaha. I shall try not to disappoint. I'm trying to put into words how to tell a gold strain Honey from a yellow strain Thick-lipped. I mean, if you know what to look for it is easy to tell, but it's hard to convey something like 'look at colour density'. Eh.

I have an obsession with taxonomy. Maybe I should also make a simple document on there outlining the different species and genus' and their interrelations. It's interestingly, really. Though not so much for non-gouramI folk I guess (but who cares about them!) :cool:

jinjerJOSH22

PascalKrypt said:
Whoop there it is!
(Dunno why but that sounds like Pterodactylus to me)

Ahahaha. I shall try not to disappoint. I'm trying to put into words how to tell a gold strain Honey from a yellow strain Thick-lipped. I mean, if you know what to look for it is easy to tell, but it's hard to convey something like 'look at colour density'. Eh.

I have an obsession with taxonomy. Maybe I should also make a simple document on there outlining the different species and genus' and their interrelations. It's interestingly, really. Though not so much for non-gouramI folk I guess (but who cares about them!) :cool:
Triceratops

I know what you mean. I still can’t put it into words. I usually end up saying something like “trust me it happens all the time”:eek: the confusion . Sometimes I wonder if we’re the ones that are wrong given the frequency it happens, once again the confusion :confused:

I don’t know what happened in this response, I swear I’m not drunk :p

Do that, especially if it covers the relations of Paradise and Betta Genus. I hate calling Bettas GouramI even if they are in the family, they have such a large Genus it seems weird to group them together but Humans love lists.

PascalKrypt

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Triceratops

I know what you mean. I still can’t put it into words. I usually end up saying something like “trust me it happens all the time”:eek: the confusion . Sometimes I wonder if we’re the ones that are wrong given the frequency it happens, once again the confusion :confused:

I don’t know what happened in this response, I swear I’m not drunk :p

Do that, especially if it covers the relations of Paradise and Betta Genus. I hate calling Bettas GouramI even if they are in the family, they have such a large Genus it seems weird to group them together but Humans love lists.
xD Well, that's what I would say if I was something-faced.

Yea, that's why I usually refer to them as labyrinths myself, just one big swimming pool of species - got the organ? great, you're a labyrinth. DONE. But GouramI - and in the same vein, Betta - is just a way more popular term because many people don't bother to research or look up the background of species. Easier to call it something that is in the name of most popular species :p

But some surprising things arise! For instance, the ones that we refer to as "spike-tailed" or "dwarf" paradise, the dayI and cupanus - their latin name (pseudosphromenus) actually suggests a resemblance to liqorice gouramI (parosphromenus) and giant gouramI (osphromenus) and doesn't contain any reference to paradise fish (macropodus) at all.
Same with the noble (or frail) gouramI that you mentioned yesterday, actually the latin (ctenops) suggest a resemblence to climbing perches (ctenopoma), a group of fish rarely linked by people to gouramI while actually being pretty closely related labyrinths as well. One of the most commonly traded fish amongst this otherwise seldomly seen group is the Leopard GouramI (also a ctenopoma), which is a climbing perch but somehow gets called a 'gourami' while no one ever refers to e.g. Ornate Climbing Perches (microctenopoma) as gourami.
So what is and isn't called a gouramI is really very random and isn't actually indicative of the genetic and behavioural links between the fish.

Amazoniantanklvr

Geez you guys are good with gouramis! You should start a gourmaI nerd thread! Lol. You are as good if not better with gouramis as I am with apistos (self stated so idk).

jinjerJOSH22

PascalKrypt said:
xD Well, that's what I would say if I was something-faced.

Yea, that's why I usually refer to them as labyrinths myself, just one big swimming pool of species - got the organ? great, you're a labyrinth. DONE. But GouramI - and in the same vein, Betta - is just a way more popular term because many people don't bother to research or look up the background of species. Easier to call it something that is in the name of most popular species :p

But some surprising things arise! For instance, the ones that we refer to as "spike-tailed" or "dwarf" paradise, the dayI and cupanus - their latin name (pseudosphromenus) actually suggests a resemblance to liqorice gouramI (parosphromenus) and giant gouramI (osphromenus) and doesn't contain any reference to paradise fish (macropodus) at all.
Same with the noble (or frail) gouramI that you mentioned yesterday, actually the latin (ctenops) suggest a resemblence to climbing perches (ctenopoma), a group of fish rarely linked by people to gouramI while actually being pretty closely related labyrinths as well. One of the most commonly traded fish amongst this otherwise seldomly seen group is the Leopard GouramI (also a ctenopoma), which is a climbing perch but somehow gets called a 'gourami' while no one ever refers to e.g. Ornate Climbing Perches (microctenopoma) as gourami.
So what is and isn't called a gouramI is really very random and isn't actually indicative of the genetic and behavioural links between the fish.
There was an identification thread a couple of weeks ago, I’ll try and find it.

I was going to say something along the lines of why do I like “Gourami”? But to be fair I like a lot of different fish.
I would definitely read something along these lines if you where to post it, no pressure :p

Amazoniantanklvr

Josh, what in the world could you like besides gouramis? Lol

PascalKrypt

Amazoniantanklvr said:
Geez you guys are good with gouramis! You should start a gourmaI nerd thread! Lol. You are as good if not better with gouramis as I am with apistos (self stated so idk).
Hum, I get a little overenthousiastic with research sometimes :oops:
D: wait, I thought you just bought your first pair right? You did a lot of reading beforehand?

jinjerJOSH22 said:
I was going to say something along the lines of why do I like “Gourami”? But to be fair I like a lot of different fish.
I like different types of fish as well (DOJOS FOR LIFE) but I definitely have a passion for labyrinths in particular. I don't know why, I guess because they are very personable and attractively marked/coloured, but unlike cichlids they don't look like mean bulldogs?
I actually held off on them for a good long while because I thought they weren't for me. Just goes to show how important it is try to something before you decide whether you like it or not.

jinjerJOSH22

Amazoniantanklvr said:
Josh, what in the world could you like besides gouramis? Lol
It’ll be easier to list what I don’t like
Mollies and that’s about it. Mollies are usually jerks to Dwarf Gourami.

PascalKrypt said:
Hum, I get a little overenthousiastic with research sometimes :oops:
D: wait, I thought you just bought your first pair right? You did a lot of reading beforehand?

I like different types of fish as well (DOJOS FOR LIFE) but I definitely have a passion for labyrinths in particular. I don't know why, I guess because they are very personable and attractively marked/coloured, but unlike cichlids they don't look like mean bulldogs?
I actually held off on them for a good long while because I thought they weren't for me. Just goes to show how important it is try to something before you decide whether you like it or not.
Dojo’s are great I don’t think I’ve had a fish that is so personable. I like some Cichlids, Firemouths are incredibly cute in a Bulldog kind of way
Catfish are definitely up there for me even if you hardly see them but it’s like a treat when you do. Barbs are another I really like, very diverse and have a rough reputation because of a couple of common species.
I’d love to get another Bichir, keeping one was amazing and I wish I had the tank setup more for its needs.

Amazoniantanklvr

Of course it had to gouramI related....... :rolleyes:

Amazoniantanklvr

PascalKrypt are you talking about apistos? No I don't have them yet. Next month. Only been researching the heck out of every single little thing about them for the past 6 months. I can pretty much tell what any species is by having a 10 second look at it. Now spelling it is a different matter. Lol

PascalKrypt

Amazoniantanklvr said:
PascalKrypt are you talking about apistos? No I don't have them yet. Next month. Only been researching the heck out of every single little thing about them for the past 6 months. I can pretty much tell what any species is by having a 10 second look at it. Now spelling it is a different matter. Lol
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Catfish are definitely up there for me
Gee, you don't say.

jinjerJOSH22 said:
I’d love to get another Bichir, keeping one was amazing and I wish I had the tank setup more for its needs.
I've actually thought about getting a snakehead/channa since they are legal here and rather awesome. Bichirs are more colourful but these satisfy my inner "wow" factor more. Except that means I'd lose a pretty large tank to a singular, not very active fish...
That's pretty much the reason why I decided against keep a spiny eel as well.

Maybe when I move and I have space for more than one very large tank, I may consider it xD Or if I feel I can make the dedication to take good care of the 50G extra tanks upstairs. Maybe if I ever get wow'd in a shop and just have to bring it home... who knows owo

What happened to your bichir?

jinjerJOSH22

PascalKrypt said:
Gee, you don't say.

I've actually thought about getting a snakehead/channa since they are legal here and rather awesome. Bichirs are more colourful but these satisfy my inner "wow" factor more. Except that means I'd lose a pretty large tank to a singular, not very active fish...
That's pretty much the reason why I decided against keep a spiny eel as well.

Maybe when I move and I have space for more than one very large tank, I may consider it xD Or if I feel I can make the dedication to take good care of the 50 gallon extra tanks upstairs. Maybe if I ever get wow'd in a shop and just have to bring it home... who knows owo

What happened to your bichir?
I kept him on flourite clay and I believe he swallowed some and it caused impaction. I was gutted. I had him 6-7 months and he grew to about 7” from 3”. Seeing it swim up from the plants for a gulp of air with the light hitting its side was special.
My own fault, I read they should be kept on sand but meh it wouldn’t happen to my fish would it?

Amazoniantanklvr

PascalKrypt said:
Gee, you don't say
haha lol

sorry to hear about your bichir, josh.

jinjerJOSH22

Why am I watching Gordon Ramsay? Why am I torturing myself?

PascalKrypt said:
That's pretty much the reason why I decided against keep a spiny eel a
I was looking at Channa when looking at my Paradise obviously it was never a serious thought of getting one but there was a few that looked beautiful. I would love a Spiny Eel but their reputation for escaping is very off putting since my aquariums are mostly open top, although the same can be said about Bichir but mine was in an open top for its duration.

Amazoniantanklvr

What do you guys thibk about the finnex stingray 2 light? Good for plants?

JB92668

Top Bottom