Question Completely/Evenly Random Discussion 2: The Randomer Discussion - Page 41

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Not only do the people who keep aquariums benefit, but the fish they keep can also benefit as well. Some species of fish that some enthusiasts keep are endangered, in which as the habitat that some fish lived in are destroyed. The main job that an enthusiast can do is to breed a particular species in order to increase the population. One example that some fish keepers are breeding is Betta hendra, a fish that is critically endangered according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). Breeders who have kept B. hendra have to discover tactics, such as providing an acidic pH and humid air for the development of the labyrinth organ within fry, in order for the fish to breed and increase population size. As breeders and fish keepers, it is their duty to preserve the population within of endangered species in order to prevent extinction.

((If you want to lengthen this paragraph, you can mention for instance that enthusiasts label wild caught fish with collection data such as locations and year and then try to breed sustainable populations in captivity. This is done so that they are not hybridized and may one day be released back in the wild when their ecosystems are in a better state, without the risk of introducing potentially invasive species. You could also comment on how keeping and breeding rare fish in the aquarium helps us understand the details of their interaction with the environment and the key parameters of their reproductive cycles so we can make better conservational efforts in the wild with this newly acquired knowledge in mind Just some ideas to get more words :D))

---
Not sure what your teacher's demands are when it comes to referencing, but is just stating the IUCN as a source enough without providing a reference to where/when they make that claim?
If you're just looking for sources (not sure if that is what you meant with 'information') I could have a look-see ...

OP
Crispii

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
Not only do the people who keep aquariums benefit, but the fish they keep can also benefit as well. Some species of fish that some enthusiasts keep are endangered, in which as the habitat that some fish lived in are destroyed. The main job that an enthusiast can do is to breed a particular species in order to increase the population. One example that some fish keepers are breeding is Betta hendra, a fish that is critically endangered according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). Breeders who have kept B. hendra have to discover tactics, such as providing an acidic pH and humid air for the development of the labyrinth organ within fry, in order for the fish to breed and increase population size. As breeders and fish keepers, it is their duty to preserve the population within of endangered species in order to prevent extinction.

((If you want to lengthen this paragraph, you can mention for instance that enthusiasts label wild caught fish with collection data such as locations and year and then try to breed sustainable populations in captivity. This is done so that they are not hybridized and may one day be released back in the wild when their ecosystems are in a better state, without the risk of introducing potentially invasive species. You could also comment on how keeping and breeding rare fish in the aquarium helps us understand the details of their interaction with the environment and the key parameters of their reproductive cycles so we can make better conservational efforts in the wild with this newly acquired knowledge in mind Just some ideas to get more words :D))

---
Not sure what your teacher's demands are when it comes to referencing, but is just stating the IUCN as a source enough without providing a reference to where/when they make that claim?
If you're just looking for sources (not sure if that is what you meant with 'information') I could have a look-see ...
Many thanks! I will provide sources at the end of the essay. :)

CMB

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How's everyone doing? I've been away for a while, pretty busy with all the tests and papers coming up this week, but just wanted to check in on all my fishlore people. :)

OP
Crispii

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
CMB said:
How's everyone doing? I've been away for a while, pretty busy with all the tests and papers coming up this week, but just wanted to check in on all my fishlore people. :)
I'm doing okay. I'm just glad this week is finally over. Now I have to worry about finals.

CMB

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Crispii said:
I'm doing okay. I'm just glad this week is finally over. Now I have to worry about finals.
Nice. Sadly, the week isn't over for me yet. I've still got two research projects and a test due by end of this week/early next week.

CMB

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FinalFins said:
Social studies, should be easy, its on the southern economy during the 1800's I think. I better do good because I have a 89 average in that class!
Well, best of luck to you on that, I'm sure you'll do great! :) Mine test is in art history. I usually do pretty good on those, but I've been a little sidetracked lately, so I haven't had time to study as much as I'd like to. Oh well, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

OP
Crispii

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
CMB said:
Nice. Sadly, the week isn't over for me yet. I've still got two research projects and a test due by end of this week/early next week.
Fortunately, my finals will be a bit easier for me. One of my finals is exempted and I basically get use to notes on one of my finals. Only finals that I really needed to study is biology.

CMB

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Crispii said:
Fortunately, my finals will be a bit easier for me. One of my finals exempted and I basically get use to notes on one of my finals. Only finals that I really needed to study is biology.
Yeah, I'll also be skipping one of my finals, and there's another that should be pretty easy. It's this one I've got so study for tomorrow that could prove tricky. And these darn research assignments are killing me.

OP
Crispii

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Is anyone having issues of not being able to type anything on computer?

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Crispii said:
Is anyone having issues of not being able to type anything on computer?
Yep. The box is gone. I just click reply and it appears.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Getting frustrated with my bettas again. Weak genetic garbage bins. Grrrrr.... my current survival rate for bought bettas is about 50% beyond the first 6 months.
My first generation of offspring is nearing adult size. They survived some serious problems and were spawned from unrelated parents... really hope they will prove a bit more robust. Sick and tired of having seemingly healthy fish deteriorate and drop dead for no reason when all of their tank mates are a-okay.

CMB

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PascalKrypt said:
Getting frustrated with my bettas again. Weak genetic garbage bins. Grrrrr.... my current survival rate for bought bettas is about 50% beyond the first 6 months.
My first generation of offspring is nearing adult size. They survived some serious problems and were spawned from unrelated parents... really hope they will prove a bit more robust. Sick and tired of having seemingly healthy fish deteriorate and drop dead for no reason when all of their tank mates are a-okay.
Yeah, I got lucky with my betta health and personality wise, but even he's got issues. His fins are so long, he needs to stop and rest a lot, and can't swim if there's any current. Poor little guy :(

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oddly enough, the only betta I've had that has never had any health issues was the least dominant female in my sorority. I would have expected her to suffer more due to the stress of being at the bottom of the hierarchy. But she's still going strong without any issues - maybe just eats a bit too much.

My two males had some fin issues. One in particular was always ragged. They were oldish when I got them. One was okay health wise and the other was never quite right. They were around 2 when I got them, lasted a year and 1/2 - 3/4 with me.

Three of my females got dropsy and died. The most dominant got bad popeye, stopped eating, grew skinny, stunted, and was close to death before I finally got her to eat. She's now my blind female and completely healthy otherwise. I haven't had great luck with bettas it seems. Though the females all came from a very bad batch of bettas anyway, so I kinda expected things to be a bit rough with them. Not sure if I'll try them again after these ones pass.

Fingers crossed that your 1st gen does well for you.

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok been over a week of treatment...
Outcome...
7605826F-2067-4B79-819D-B51F2160E855.jpeg

You think he’s ready?
Lightning makes the gouramI look weird... :)

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
Ok been over a week of treatment...
Outcome...
7605826F-2067-4B79-819D-B51F2160E855.jpeg

You think he’s ready?
Lightning makes the gouramI look weird... :)
Nice, pits are all gone! I really wonder what that was... how exactly did you end up treating him and for how long, btw?
I wouldn't put him back in the main tank yet, his caudal is still shredded. Give his fins some time to heal.

OP
Crispii

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
WHOOOO!!! I am officially done with this semester! :D

To be completely honest, this semester was pretty brutal for me.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Had a high school tour today and the high school counselers gave me a book that had all the courses I could take. Def going with physics, not chem. What's the point of chem anyways? making potions????

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom