Completely/Evenly Random Discussion 2: The Randomer Discussion - Page 40

Feohw

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Not quite, a adult Asian Bumblebee who is likely just over 6 inches.
Great choice. Bumblebees are one of my favourites, and the asians don't get much love. Even though they hide a lot, they can be more comfortable swimming about than the SA BB which is a big plus. Love it.

jinjerJOSH22

Feohw said:
Great choice. Bumblebees are one of my favourites, and the asians don't get much love. Even though they hide a lot, they can be more comfortable swimming about than the SA BB which is a big plus. Love it.
I don't know why, maybe size? It was on my potential list for my 112 but I wanted a Catfish closer to 8-9 inches. It could be a similar thought process to that.
I blame my Mum for this, if she didn't come in the store after me to have a look, I would of bought my Honey and gotten out without spotting it.

Thinking of adding a group of 5 Paradise GouramI to my 50 gallon Tiger Barb tank. I've kept my Three Spot with them for several months and when I put my Paradise GouramI in on it's last le..fins he was left alone after the gang checked him out.

Thoughts?

TheDitherFish

Heres a story but I need help with the ending.
there was a fish tank with say a betta hendra pair named Betty and Bob. They were sad cause the ph was not right:(. so the mighty creator that made their home lowered the ph to 5 and the loved it:). But, oh no the beneficial bacteria populations crashed and your test kit read high ammonia... what happens next do they die or do they live?

jinjerJOSH22

TheDitherFish said:
there was a fish tank with say a betta hendra pair named Betty and Bob. They were sad cause the ph was not right:(. so the mighty creator that made their home lowered the ph to 5 and the loved it:). But, oh no the beneficial bacteria populations crashed and your test kit read high ammonia... what happens next do they die or do they live?
Ammonium is harmless, you technically don't ever cycle low pH aquariums, as long as the pH remains low you're good.
Now everyone correct me :p

TheDitherFish

thanks, not going to correct you but how do maintain the ph level cause you have to do water changes right?

jinjerJOSH22

TheDitherFish said:
thanks, not going to correct you but how do maintain the ph level cause you have to do water changes right?
Yes but less frequent smaller changes, i'm not super experienced with this but i've done some research because I wanted Licorice Gourami. How are you lowering the pH?

TheDitherFish

dont have a low ph tank. want one for some specific fish. wondering how to keep the fish alive cause the bacteria populations are gone and as usually the internet was not helpful. as some one once said, "the internet is a mile wide and an inch deep"

jinjerJOSH22

TheDitherFish said:
dont have a low ph tank. want one for some specific fish. wondering how to keep the fish alive cause the bacteria populations are gone and as usually the internet was not helpful. as some one once said, "the internet is a mile wide and an inch deep"
Ah I see. I'm not sure about the Betta you want but fish that need low pH usually need low total dissolved solids, two way you can get this is with an RO system or rain water, you could also buy distilled water? but that would work out incredibly expensive.

Peat filtration is another thing you could do but i'm not too sure how much it affects tds.

PascalKrypt would be able to explain this much better.

Crispii

THEY'RE HERE!!! :D

The plan worked guys!

jinjerJOSH22

Crispii said:

The plan worked guys!
Should we be worried?

Also congrats :D

Crispii

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Should we be worried?

Also congrats :D
I am the fish snatcher that steals fish. Watch out fish stores, I'm coming for you!

TheDitherFish

pics pics pics please
Crispii said:

The plan worked guys!

Crispii

Also, on a more thoughtful topic. I enjoyed helping alongside with my friend today. I voluntarily helped him net certain fish and move them to different tanks in order to house new fish in. I'm glad that I have the opportunity to assist and work alongside my friend today at my LFS. Mind you, I don't even work there. :)

LFS recently got in some cool fish and this one of them.

20200120_150957.jpg

LFS also got in some wild Bettas besides the ones that I have.

PascalKrypt

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Thinking of adding a group of 5 Paradise GouramI to my 50 gallon Tiger Barb tank. I've kept my Three Spot with them for several months and when I put my Paradise GouramI in on it's last le..fins he was left alone after the gang checked him out.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that you've been doing some major reconstruction to your tank populations xD

As with betta tanks be ready for rehoming/splitting/etc. Are you doing sorority or fraternity?

TheDitherFish said:
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Ammonium is harmless, you technically don't ever cycle low pH aquariums, as long as the pH remains low you're good.
Now everyone correct me :p
TheDitherFish said:
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Ah I see. I'm not sure about the Betta you want but fish that need low pH usually need low total dissolved solids, two way you can get this is with an RO system or rain water, you could also buy distilled water? but that would work out incredibly expensive.

Peat filtration is another thing you could do but i'm not too sure how much it affects tds.

PascalKrypt would be able to explain this much better.
Okay, so, let me try to break this down.

It is a MYTH that low PH tanks cannot be cycled. They do cycle, the bacteria are just different. The process is pretty much the same as cycling a tank with higher PH. It isn't necessary though, since such tanks wouldn't accumulate toxic levels of ammonia anyhow.

Maintaining low PH tanks is a bother. Don't do it unless strictly necessary. I don't know too much about B. hendra, do they really need PH <6 or is it just recommended for breeding? If the latter I would advise you just go for 6.5-ish.

Low PH fish, as jinjerJOSH22 surmised, are actually fish that require low TDS, arguably even more than low PH. But mostly they go hand in hand. Adding some tannins is really nice for the fish but if we are talking getting acid blackwater than just adding heaps of leaves or cones won't get you there. You need to add water to the tank that is already really low in TDS. So R/O water or rainwater.

TheDitherFish

thanks for the info I also heard rainwater has low ph like 5.4 or something like that

PascalKrypt

TheDitherFish said:
thanks for the info I also heard rainwater has low ph like 5.4 or something like that
Rainwater should have a TDS of 0 or <10 at least (if more, it is contaminated with something). Not sure if the PH is always (near) the same to be honest, I'm expecting it is but eh. It's around 5.5 when I've measured it though.

Edit: Just to add about the PH/TDS when it comes to creating the environment you seek. Usually water with a very low TDS will have a natural drop in PH since there is no buffer present anymore (KH 0), whereas when the TDS is a significant value then you won't be able to drop PH with all the tannins in the worlds since the KH prevents the PH from dropping.

jinjerJOSH22

PascalKrypt said:
My thoughts are that you've been doing some major reconstruction to your tank populations xD

As with betta tanks be ready for rehoming/splitting/etc. Are you doing sorority or fraternity?
Yeah, i'm constantly thinking how I can keep more Gourami, i'm not sure if I'll actually go through with this, I don't want to order them online and i've just realized to LFS that i'm most fond of doesn't usually sell them.

Probably a mix, either 1:4 or 2:3. Maybe even 3:3.

PascalKrypt

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Yeah, i'm constantly thinking how I can keep more Gourami, i'm not sure if I'll actually go through with this, I don't want to order them online and i've just realized to LFS that i'm most fond of doesn't usually sell them.

Probably a mix, either 1:4 or 2:3. Maybe even 3:3.
From what I've heard it is probably best not to mix genders if you have more than a pair, especially if they are to have tankmates. A harem should be possible but 2 or more males should not be mixed with females, it encourages aggression.

Too bad though :( They really are beautiful and they have a lot of personality. I definitely don't regret buying mine even though housing them is a bit of a risk. Given that you are a regular customer, you could ask if they would notify you when they get a batch, so you'd have an early pick?
Nothing wrong with being patient ;) I still don't have those sparklers that are on my list.

jinjerJOSH22

PascalKrypt said:
From what I've heard it is probably best not to mix genders if you have more than a pair, especially if they are to have tankmates. A harem should be possible but 2 or more males should not be mixed with females, it encourages aggression.

Too bad though :( They really are beautiful and they have a lot of personality. I definitely don't regret buying mine even though housing them is a bit of a risk. Given that you are a regular customer, you could ask if they would notify you when they get a batch, so you'd have an early pick?
Nothing wrong with being patient ;) I still don't have those sparklers that are on my list.
I'll probably aI'm to keep a harem in that case or maybe aI'm for another "Unique" pair like my Blacks.
I suppose I could try a fraternity as i'm unlikely to get any breeding with the Barbs around, I'm guessing this would involve removing "problematic" males which is definitely a downside.

I don't think they've ever stocked them in the 5 or so months i've been going their, it's kind of weird considering they stock 9 different species of GouramI not including the colour morphs of Three Spots. I don't want to get them from the place I got them last time, which leaves the place I went the other day, they had some really vibrant reds mix in with Albino's.

Patience is a must, no money to splurge on fish for a while :p

Really frustrating, I'm gonna separate one of the Snakeskins, Lip locking with the other two and chasing other Gourami. They all look like females and goes to prove what I keep saying to everyone who says "Don't worry they are females so..." FEMALES can be just as aggressive as males. They are often are built the same and have the same weaponry just less reason to use it.

Crispii

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Really frustrating, I'm gonna separate one of the Snakeskins, Lip locking with the other two and chasing other Gourami. They all look like females and goes to prove what I keep saying to everyone who says "Don't worry they are females so..." FEMALES can be just as aggressive as males. They are often are built the same and have the same weaponry just less reason to use it.
Gouramis will be gouramis and cichlids will be cichlids.

PascalKrypt

jinjerJOSH22 said:
I've had a juvenile female betta so aggressive she literally opened her mouth to bare her teeth before lunging at her sisters, clearly trying to do as much damage as she could.
Strangely enough she's now the underdog in my sorority, tamed by my very stable dominant female that no one seems to want to pick a fight with. Even though I've never seen her show aggression. (Though when she dies at some point I will probably have to split up and then carefully reassemble my sorority or I'll have mayhem on my hands)

jinjerJOSH22

PascalKrypt said:
I've had a juvenile female betta so aggressive she literally opened her mouth to bare her teeth before lunging at her sisters, clearly trying to do as much damage as she could.
Strangely enough she's now the underdog in my sorority, tamed by my very stable dominant female that no one seems to want to pick a fight with. Even though I've never seen her show aggression. (Though when she dies at some point I will probably have to split up and then carefully reassemble my sorority or I'll have mayhem on my hands)
The Dwarf GouramI that killed all my females was a "subdominant" male when he was with the the other male, he was also with a male Betta for a very short while but fish can change very quickly.

I understand things like this "can" work but it's irresponsible when people blatantly tell people "This will work"
yes i'm almost certainly guilty of this but the "exception doesn't break the rule" or something like that :p

Feohw

PascalKrypt said:
My bettas would do that. The female that got dropsy first was the most aggressive, I had a video of her opening wide like that before lunging at the that would soon become the dominant female. And my dominant was the same. The other females would fight and their ranks would clearly shift. Nobody messed with the dominant one. She would even split up fights, aggression from the others tended to calm when she came near. It was incredibly interesting to watch.

Though the least dominant female has "scars" from those days. The damage was never very bad at all, in fact it was very minimal. But when her fins were nipped they grew back odd and didn't fully align. On one hand I'd love to set one back up to see that dynamic again. On the other, that females fins are a reminder of why I don't tend to recommend them for most people.

jinjerJOSH22

Just phoned my LFS about the Gourami, I don't think they know me by name so I identified myself by "The guy who likes Gourami" and was immediately greeted by a friendly toned "Oh, Hello there"

Crispii

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Just phoned my LFS about the Gourami, I don't think they know me by name so I identified myself by "The guy who likes Gourami" and was immediately greeted by a friendly toned "Oh, Hello there"

FinalFins

Crispii said:
LFS recently got in some cool fish and this one of them.

20200120_150957.jpg
Is that a altum? B U Y I T

Crispii

PascalKrypt

jinjerJOSH22 said:
But you didn't tell us what the verdict was D: Did they have paradise or not?

Very dangerous to have the "that ____ guy" reputation lol. Though pretty sure I'm the female equivalent of that at my LFS :p Even though I make a point of checking out all tanks every time, I can't really fool them.
"Oh we got in this new batch of *insert gouramI species* yesterday, did you check them out yet?"

I like to check out the shop every time I pass (which is around 1-2 times a week), even just for 30 mins. I like to see what moves and what doesn't, and hearing the conversations is interesting also.
Plus if they get something unusual it can move fast enough to miss it if I don't visit once a week. The large LFS up north that has a habit of getting unusual things moves so fast that even back when I visited it weekly I would still miss out on 50% of their one-time shipments. Pretty sure it is frequented by a lot of enthusiasts, I've been in there multiple times when customers would be pointing out small errors in the detailed labels or commenting on the quality of stock versus their own and so on. Think it must be a weird experience as a first time fish owner in that place :p (The service isn't great though, the owner has a bit of a meh personality and is best avoided if you're not a 40+ male with his type of humor. That's kind of the main reason I don't frequent it as much).

jinjerJOSH22

PascalKrypt said:
But you didn't tell us what the verdict was D: Did they have paradise or not?

Very dangerous to have the "that ____ guy" reputation lol. Though pretty sure I'm the female equivalent of that at my LFS :p Even though I make a point of checking out all tanks every time, I can't really fool them.
"Oh we got in this new batch of *insert gouramI species* yesterday, did you check them out yet?"

I like to check out the shop every time I pass (which is around 1-2 times a week), even just for 30 mins. I like to see what moves and what doesn't, and hearing the conversations is interesting also.
Plus if they get something unusual it can move fast enough to miss it if I don't visit once a week. The large LFS up north that has a habit of getting unusual things moves so fast that even back when I visited it weekly I would still miss out on 50% of their one-time shipments. Pretty sure it is frequented by a lot of enthusiasts, I've been in there multiple times when customers would be pointing out small errors in the detailed labels or commenting on the quality of stock versus their own and so on. Think it must be a weird experience as a first time fish owner in that place :p (The service isn't great though, the owner has a bit of a meh personality and is best avoided if you're not a 40+ male with his type of humor. That's kind of the main reason I don't frequent it as much).
Oh I wasn't phoning about the Paradise, It was about bringing the Snakeskin in. Given that 85% of my messages are about GouramI I should probably specify which i'm talking about :p

I should introduce myself properly tomorrow, funny thing is, the manager was actually in charge of me 10 years ago for my school work experience :D It was in the Reptile sister company to Maidenhead Aquatics I think. It was next door, anyhow but in a town slightly closer to home. I think he recognized he but it didn't click until I heard his name.

I always start looking the opposite end to the Gourami, That way the last tanks are the "Black water" setups, I'm hoping one day they'll have Chocolates so I can cry.

Update on those Wild type Honeys I originally bought, confident I have a male and female, one the line doesn't reach the eye and it's started to colour slightly and the other it clearly reaches the eye. I also bought 100% male wild type when I got the catfish. It would be hilarious if it was a Thick Lip but no he's a pretty Honey.

FinalFins

Ah, you guys got it good. Fishkeeping not a popular hobby up here so most LFS's are down south from where I am.

Crispii

Have any of guys went inside an LFS when it's closed?

jkkgron2

Crispii said:
Have you?

Crispii

FinalFins

Crispii said:
Oh Y E S. I saw you robbing the place. I waved! You didn't.

jinjerJOSH22

FinalFins said:
Ah, you guys got it good. Fishkeeping not a popular hobby up here so most LFS's are down south from where I am.
It's not all great, only 3 of my 4 Fish stores are within a 20 minute drive, the other is 35 minutes oh woe is me! :p

Crispii

FinalFins said:
Oh Y E S. I saw you robbing the place. I waved! You didn't.
I was in a rush okay.

FinalFins

jinjerJOSH22 said:
It's not all great, only 3 of my 4 Fish stores are within a 20 minute drive, the other is 35 minutes oh woe is me! :p
Woe is me. 45 min down to where the good fish lie. Up here stuck with petco and okay LFS. Just your usual neon tetra being sold. 4 hrs south to NYC is where the rare fish live.

Crispii said:
I was in a rush okay.
You were CLEARLY not in a rush seeming that you inspected every tank. And slept there.

Crispii

FinalFins said:
Woe is me. 45 min down to where the good fish lie. Up here stuck with petco and okay LFS. Just your usual neon tetra being sold. 4 hrs south to NYC is where the rare fish live.
It takes 10-15 minutes for me to find an LFS that sells rare fish. :)

jkkgron2

FinalFins said:
You were CLEARLY not in a rush seeming that you inspected every tank. And slept there.
He was looking for more wild bettas :D

Crispii

Top Bottom