Completely/Evenly Random Discussion 2: The Randomer Discussion Question 

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
.... this world is insane.
That's modern-day society for you!

Feohw said:
Makes me wonder who looks at large majestic fish like aros, and even oscars and thinks they would look good like this. I really don't like balloon anything tbh. They have even renamed balloon rams "angel rams" to try to give them a better and more attractive rep. Many people seem to love them though.

One of the fish I dislike the most is the blood parrot. Such an ugly fish, though again, many people love them. I can sort of see why, they are cute I guess. But I really don't like the look or the fact that life can be difficult for some of them. I do like bettas too though. They are nowhere near as bad as some of the crazier looking fish.

People actually give their fish chin jobs..... that I didn't know. So weird.
Angel Rams are stupid. Why rename a fish? German Blue Ram seems cool enough. IMO if it was just decided on name and no knowledge i'd pick a german blue ram over a angel ram.

Blood parrots are OK in my opinion, they are cute and not relativly hard to care for but they are really deformed. Doesn't tick me off until they made jellybean parrots and TATTOED PARROTS!! I would so much prefer a actual parrot cichlid (HOPLARCHUS PSITTACUS)

Apparently some chain stores sell dyed blood parrots and mollies and tattooed mollies/blood parrots.

Fruit tetras horrify me.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FinalFins said:

Angel Rams are stupid. Why rename a fish? German Blue Ram seems cool enough. IMO if it was just decided on name and no knowledge i'd pick a german blue ram over a angel ram.

Blood parrots are OK in my opinion, they are cute and not relativly hard to care for but they are really deformed. Doesn't tick me off until they made jellybean parrots and TATTOED PARROTS!! I would so much prefer a actual parrot cichlid (HOPLARCHUS PSITTACUS)

Apparently some chain stores sell dyed blood parrots and mollies and tattooed mollies/blood parrots.

Fruit tetras horrify me.
Most blood parrots get on fine. Some can't eat properly due to the deformity. That's not the usual case. I mainly just hate how they look. So ugly. I like natural looking fish (ignore the fact that I like bettas). The fact that people get their fish tattooed is a bit crazy.

Never heard of fruit tetras, you mean glofish?

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Feohw said:
Most blood parrots get on fine. Some can't eat properly due to the deformity. That's not the usual case. I mainly just hate how they look. So ugly. I like natural looking fish (ignore the fact that I like bettas). The fact that people get their fish tattooed is a bit crazy.

I believe that "fruit tetras" are ones that are dyed. Never seen one in person, but I believe I saw them on a YouTube video.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Feohw said:

Fruit tetras are dyed, not glofish, they look like glofish but are paler.

People don't get their fish tattoed. The wholesaler tattoes them and sends them to store.

In the 20 gallon today, the cucumber I put in yesterday now does not exist. Never thought 8 otos could eat that fast. Maybe stock 8 MORE otos??? They are so cute though :D

And the cucumber for the amano in the 5 gallon fell apart and made a mess. Also in the process of the PWC i uprooted the vals :( I hate vals because they grow like weeds, are easily damaged and get stuck in pythons during pwc. But they look cool in big numbers.

Look what i decided to do in ELA today on my chromebook in my notes?
1575415884999.png

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
How's everybody doing?

Right now, I am stressed out with regards to this week as well as next week.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Crispii said:
I believe that "fruit tetras" are ones that are dyed. Never seen one in person, but I believe I saw them on a YouTube video.
FinalFins said:
Fruit tetras are dyed, not glofish, they look like glofish but are paler.

People don't get their fish tattoed. The wholesaler tattoes them and sends them to store.

In the 20 gallon today, the cucumber I put in yesterday now does not exist. Never thought 8 otos could eat that fast. Maybe stock 8 MORE otos??? They are so cute though :D

And the cucumber for the amano in the 5 gallon fell apart and made a mess. Also in the process of the PWC i uprooted the vals :( I hate vals because they grow like weeds, are easily damaged and get stuck in pythons during pwc. But they look cool in big numbers.
Ah I see. Crazy what people do to these animals. Glad we have none of that here.

Good that they are eating well then. How do they like the repashy?

One of the things I love about having a shrimp tank is adding veggies. They all make a colourful little pile on top of it. Before the nerite gobbles it all down.

Never had vals myself. I have been looking to go that route though, they look great.

FinalFins said:
Look what i decided to do in ELA today on my chromebook in my notes?
Bruh
Crispii said:
How's everybody doing?

I'm doing well. I have the next week off and then I have exams. Its looking good for me though. Looking forward to Christmas.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Feohw said:
I'm doing well. I have the next week off and then I have exams. Its looking good for me though. Looking forward to Christmas.
Lucky you. I have two exams and a paper this week. Next week will be my finals.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Crispii said:
How's everybody doing?

Meh, pretty good finished my HW and no tests this week.
Feohw said:
Ah I see. Crazy what people do to these animals. Glad we have none of that here.

Good that they are eating well then. How do they like the repashy?

One of the things I love about having a shrimp tank is adding veggies. They all make a colourful little pile on top of it. Before the nerite gobbles it all down.

Never had vals myself. I have been looking to go that route though, they look great.
Hehehehe they have no interest in repashy :( may have been a waste of 20 bucks. I'm still trying and soon I will do what Coradee said? Quote
Coradee said:
I’ve not used it regularly but a friend gave me a little to try a while back.
I spread a little on some zucchini & some on flat stones & they loved it, you’ve just reminded me to go get some more :)
So I may try this (thanks if you are reading this Coradee!) and see how it goes :) they are fully trained onto cucumber though so their bellies are good.

I was thinking of a 55 gallon of just cherry shrimp, that would be a cool tank. maybe for the future.

If you get vals, be warned they damage and uproot easy and are a pain to deal with during PWC time. But its worth it they are looking FAB!

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
But hey, at least I get to write whatever topic I want in my English class. :)

You know where this will go.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Crispii said:
But hey, at least I get to write whatever topic I want in my English class. :)

You know where this will go.
Altums! Wild bettas! BRs!

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Altums! Wild bettas! BRs!
The benefits of having an aquarium. ;)

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FinalFins said:

Hehehehe they have no interest in repashy :( may have been a waste of 20 bucks. I'm still trying and soon I will do what Coradee said? Quote

So I may try this (thanks if you are reading this Coradee!) and see how it goes :) they are fully trained onto cucumber though so their bellies are good.

I was thinking of a 55 gallon of just cherry shrimp, that would be a cool tank. maybe for the future.

If you get vals, be warned they damage and uproot easy and are a pain to deal with during PWC time. But its worth it they are looking FAB!
Bummer. My old otos took a while to get used to certain foods. Hopefully they'll take to it.

At some point I want to upgrade my fish to a 75 gallon, then use the 53 as a shrimp tank for my neos, caridina, amanos and vampire. I'll add bamboos, snails and a few others. Some type of small fish too to busy up the tank. A huge shrimp tank is a great idea imo. I'll likely never get it done at the rate I'm going.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:

(...)

TATTOED PARROTS!!
I googled that ... can't unsee.
What moron decides to dye fish? And I thought glo-fish were horrifying enough. I'm happy those monstrosities are not sold in this country (to my knowledge).

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
I googled that ... can't unsee.
What moron decides to dye fish? And I thought glo-fish were horrifying enough. I'm happy those monstrosities are not sold in this country (to my knowledge).
I never seen one in person so that's saying something.

Would anyone would like to read my mindless paper for English?

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Crispii said:
Would anyone would like to read my mindless paper for English?
\o/ sounds like a great joy

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Okay, here goes nothing:

Not only does aquarium provide health benefits, but it also provides a learning experience. By keeping and maintaining aquariums, an aquarium hobbyist can learn the different species of fauna and flora as well as the care requirements within each species. Besides learning about the different species of fauna and flora, one can learn about the chemical aspects and how it can affect fish, invertebrates, and plants. From there, one can realize that chemical compounds such as ammonia and nitrite are toxic for all species of fish and invertebrates. However, one of the principle aspects that an aquarium can teach is the virtue of patience. One of the biggest mistakes that beginners make when starting an aquarium is not understanding the nitrogen cycle, which is cultivating beneficial bacteria in order to maintain a stable environment for livestock. The nitrogen cycle usually lasts around four through six weeks with a stable parameter of 0ppm (parts per million) for both ammonia and nitrite as well as parameters ranging from 5-20ppm for nitrate. However, many people will realize the potential mistakes such as sudden illness and deaths when they keep fish in an uncycled aquarium. Not only do hobbyists make mistakes, but they can express their knowledge to newcomers who are starting out in the aquarium hobby.

It's not complete, but here's a start. :)

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Crispii said:
Okay, here goes nothing:

Not only does aquarium provide health benefits, but it also provides a learning experience. By keeping and maintaining aquariums, an aquarium hobbyist can learn the different species of fauna and flora as well as the care requirements within each species. Besides learning about the different species of fauna and flora, one can learn about the chemical aspects and how it can affect fish, invertebrates, and plants. From there, one can realize that chemical compounds such as ammonia and nitrite are toxic for all species of fish and invertebrates. However, one of the principle aspects that an aquarium can teach is the virtue of patience. One of the biggest mistakes that beginners make when starting an aquarium is not understanding the nitrogen cycle, which is cultivating beneficial bacteria in order to maintain a stable environment for livestock. The nitrogen cycle usually lasts around four through six weeks with a stable parameter of 0ppm (parts per million) for both ammonia and nitrite as well as parameters ranging from 5-20ppm for nitrate. However, many people will realize the potential mistakes such as sudden illness and deaths when they keep fish in an uncycled aquarium. Not only do hobbyists make mistakes, but they can express their knowledge to newcomers who are starting out in the aquarium hobby.

It's not complete, but here's a start. :)
Nice! Sounds like a solid introduction for an information leaflet ;-)

*must* *suppress* *mentor* *mode*...
... I removed all my comments because not sure if you were asking for them, haha :p Don't want to be that grammar -youknowwhatgoesherebutitwascensored-. If you want to hear them, let me know.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
Nice! Sounds like a solid introduction for an information leaflet ;-)

*must* *suppress* *mentor* *mode*...
... I removed all my comments because not sure if you were asking for them, haha :p Don't want to be that grammar -youknowwhatgoesherebutitwascensored-. If you want to hear them, let me know.
I'm okay for now. :p

Most likely going to do a peer review day on Thursday. Mind you this is just a rough draft. :)

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Crispii said:
I'm okay for now. :p

Most likely going to a peer review day on Thursday. Mind you this is just a rough draft. :)
Haha, this is the sort of stuff I do for a living, my brain just went all auto-pilot before I realised how rude that may be when uncalled for ;) Sorry.

Oh wow, peer reviews, is this a pretty big project or does that happen more often in your English courses? What kind of word target or limit is set for this assignment?

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
Oh wow, peer reviews, is this a pretty big project or does that happen more often in your English courses? What kind of word target or limit is set for this assignment?
Peer reviews happen when we have a major paper that is due the very next day. The assignment that my teacher set up for us was to write an editorial paper where we can choose a topic to our liking. Of course, there are some restrictions, but aquariums isn't on the list! :D

Okay PascalKrypt, time to nitpick this paragraph for to see if I needed more information.

People who keep aquariums not only benefited, but the fish they keep can also benefit as well. Some species of fish that some enthusiasts keep are endangered, in which the habitat that some fish lived in are destroyed. The main job that an enthusiast can do is to breed a particular species in order to increase the population. One example that some fish keepers are breeding is Betta hendra, a fish that is critically endangered according to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). Breeders who have kept B. hendra have discover tactics, such as providing an acidic pH and humid air for the development of the labyrinth organ within fry, in order for the fish to breed and increase population size. As breeders and fish keepers, it is their duty to preserve the population within endangered species in order to prevent extinction.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom