Completely/Evenly Random Discussion 2: The Randomer Discussion Question 

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
Oh yes, someone was selling austrolebias at the convention too, I was really blown away but clever enough to ask the breeder how long they lived on average in his tank. "Oh annual? Eehhh, yes, no thanks. I'll take the lyretails!" That's actually where I bought my pair xD haha. I think the guy thought I was nuts objecting to killis for being annuals because duh. Well whatever.

Yessss go raise some fry!

Speaking of amanos... I have two in my 63. I see them on average once a month, either during a large WC or when I feed bloodworms and they come out like a praying mantis to steal one from under my dojos' noses. I can't even be sure if they are both still there since I see them so rarely, let alone knowing if they are the same one or the two different ones.
Yeah the problem with me was that they hide too much, and I was worried it didn't get food. So I thought in a smaller tank it would be easier to find food?

Hehehehehehehehe not sure where the fry would go..... maybe honey gouramis or sparkling gouramis for a 15 gallon...

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Yeah the problem with me was that they hide too much, and I was worried it didn't get food. So I thought in a smaller tank it would be easier to find food?

Hehehehehehehehe not sure where the fry would go..... maybe honey gouramis or sparkling gouramis for a 15 gallon...
I don't know, I've yet to see a shrimp starve to death... I wonder if that really happens in a well planted tank, isn't there enough organic material for them too eat? (Or did you not have them in a planted one?)

Just in the same tank? I know someone that successfully raised several batches of apisto fry in a community tank with barbs and chain loaches. It looked like a 30 or 40 gallon. The batches were very much thinned out (about 2-3 of them survived into adulthood) but he still managed! He had a complex cave made out of a large piece of hardwood with stones stacked against it that the fry could take shelter in until they were too large to eat.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I did have it in a planted.

I doubt fry in my tank would be eaten, the tankmates are otos and cpds.

Speaking of breeding my cpds were in the crypts doing stuff and a female dropped a egg. Then the egg was devoured.... by a ram.

FinalFins said:

Speaking of breeding my cpds were in the crypts doing stuff and a female dropped a egg. Then the egg was devoured.... by a ram.
So following that maybe the cpds will get the 15 gallon to themselves and the bolivians to do what they want in the 20 gallon? Kinda want to breed cpds.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
So following that maybe the cpds will get the 15 gallon to themselves and the bolivians to do what they want in the 20 gallon? Kinda want to breed cpds.
That would be cool! I don't think a lot of people go through the trouble of breeding tetras or rasboras at home but the CPDs are kind of expensive and desirable.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mostly breeding to expand numbers and maybe some will go for sale?

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't worry about amanos getting food. They manage. I never really see those in my 53g. I just catch brief glimpses of them in the crevices of my driftwood. Those are my first amanos, older than many of my fish. They have been doing well despite the fact that I never see them. I'd still love to move them to the smaller tank. They do far better in there. Always breeding, the female is growing fat with eggs and is quite large too. Far happier in there and always out - a very clear difference.
FinalFins said:

The same happens when my harlequins breed. Gobbled up before they can amount to anything. I still have to see my CPDs breed. Though I spend less time around that tank. I'd like them to rebuild their numbers too. Two wasted away as can happen with new CPDs, the rest are great. Far better than neons and harleys.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PascalKrypt said:
And now for something completely different:

What is everyone's favourite tank? By that I mean - what is the best/most beautiful/most impressive tank you've seen *in real life* (so skipping videos and photos)?
If you've never seen anyone else's tanks this should be easy pickings, hehe.
I’m going to skip Official Aquariums, but Aquatic Aquarium Gallery has very nice tanks, nice saltwater and freshwater with a huge arowana. Still not sure of a favorite though.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
I’m going to skip Official Aquariums, but Aquatic Aquarium Gallery has very nice tanks, nice saltwater and freshwater with a huge arowana. Still not sure of a favorite though.
What species of arowana? Would like to know, because I love arowanas, jardinis in particular.

Feohw said:
The same happens when my harlequins breed. Gobbled up before they can amount to anything. I still have to see my CPDs breed. Though I spend less time around that tank. I'd like them to rebuild their numbers too. Two wasted away as can happen with new CPDs, the rest are great. Far better than neons and harleys.
Harlequins are egg layers, right?

Yeah, much better than the average neon. Only thing I dont like is that once they hit maturity they change their pattern from cool pattern to dots. I don mind though. I like their fin coloring.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FinalFins said:
What species of arowana? Would like to know, because I love arowanas, jardinis in particular.
Not sure of the type but I’m thinking it was Jardini.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FinalFins said:
I love jardini too. Not a fan of silvers or blacks. I actually really like African aros though they are a bit different. Asian aros are my favourite though, they come in different morphs too and can be very beautiful. Jardini are more of a similar shape to the Asians which is why I like them over silvers.
FinalFins said:
Harlequins are egg layers, right?

Yeah, much better than the average neon. Only thing I dont like is that once they hit maturity they change their pattern from cool pattern to dots. I don mind though. I like their fin coloring.
Yep. And all the fish know when they are about to breed. I occasionally catch them doing their mating displays in the early mornings. Love to see it.

Danios are just better than tetras full stop. I haven't noticed CPDs changing their pattern. I love how they look - just stunning!

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Feohw said:
I love jardini too. Not a fan of silvers or blacks. I actually really like African aros though they are a bit different. Asian aros are my favourite though, they come in different morphs too and can be very beautiful. Jardini are more of a similar shape to the Asians which is why I like them over silvers.

Yep. And all the fish know when they are about to breed. I occasionally catch them doing their mating displays in the early mornings. Love to see it.

Danios are just better than tetras full stop. I haven't noticed CPDs changing their pattern. I love how they look - just stunning!
Yup, the arowanas with a actual caudual fin (thats the last fin right?) are the ones that attract my attention. I would like a asian arowana but those are illegal here :(

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FinalFins said:
Yup, the arowanas with a actual caudual fin (thats the last fin right?) are the ones that attract my attention. I would like a asian arowana but those are illegal here :(
Yep. Caudal = tail fin. Silvers have one, buts its not the same really. I think their overall shape just looks wrong/weird. Too long and skinny. The shape of Asians and jardini is just beautiful. And the more pronounced caudal does look better, in silvers the analfin creeps onto the caudal too much.
FinalFins said:
I would like a asian arowana but those are illegal here :(
Muahahaha. I can get them, or could rather.... I don't have thousands to throw away for a fish that will do its level best to jump and kill itself. Or any fish for that matter.

Don't know whats worse. Not being allowed to get it. Or being allowed, but never actually having the chance to get it. Same thing in the end.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Whats worse?, a genetically modified arowana (short body) that will never jump BUT you have the guilt of buying a beautiful fish that will never grow correctly or a regular one knowing that it will jump.....

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FinalFins said:
Whats worse?, a genetically modified arowana (short body) that will never jump BUT you have the guilt of buying a beautiful fish that will never grow correctly or a regular one knowing that it will jump.....
I really don't like short bodied fish. Not only is it terrible for them, but they look terrible too. Not just aros, but short bodies in general. I would rather the normal one, and I'd try my best to keep it from falling out of the tank when it jumps. I'll never have one though, I'll never have a tank that big I don't think.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Feohw said:
I really don't like short bodied fish. Not only is it terrible for them, but they look terrible too. Not just aros, but short bodies in general. I would rather the normal one, and I'd try my best to keep it from falling out of the tank when it jumps. I'll never have one though, I'll never have a tank that big I don't think.
FinalFins said:
Wait what? That's a thing? They created that? o_O and here I thought balloon mollies were bad.

P.S. I had a good laugh the other day when I was watching an Asian drama and the villain had - guess what - a tank with an ominously pacing arowana in it in their office! It was in view quite often as this symbolic "this guy is a dangerous predator"-thing, rather hilarious. (Also I think it was supposed to convey that "this guy has waaaaay too much money")

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Feohw said:
I also agree. I have seen many debates on this but I just like the way fish appear in nature. (if they do at all). Besides bettas of course! (what a hypocrite I am.?)

PascalKrypt said:
Wait what? That's a thing? They created that? o_O and here I thought balloon mollies were bad.
Yup. Look it up, they look terrible. Reading some stories some people apparently pay money to perform plastic surgery on their fish to go chin jobs and eye lifts.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
About 1965, far, far nothern Manitoba, while taking customary journeys through the woods with my family, I found a dime. To this day, I can still remember my overwhelming elation! Since then, money has never burned a hole in my pocket, because it's never reached my pocket! :D

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Yup. Look it up, they look terrible. Reading some stories some people apparently pay money to perform plastic surgery on their fish to go chin jobs and eye lifts.
.... this world is insane.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
PascalKrypt said:

P.S. I had a good laugh the other day when I was watching an Asian drama and the villain had - guess what - a tank with an ominously pacing arowana in it in their office! It was in view quite often as this symbolic "this guy is a dangerous predator"-thing, rather hilarious. (Also I think it was supposed to convey that "this guy has waaaaay too much money")
Makes me wonder who looks at large majestic fish like aros, and even oscars and thinks they would look good like this. I really don't like balloon anything tbh. They have even renamed balloon rams "angel rams" to try to give them a better and more attractive rep. Many people seem to love them though.
FinalFins said:
I also agree. I have seen many debates on this but I just like the way fish appear in nature. (if they do at all). Besides bettas of course! (what a hypocrite I am.?)
One of the fish I dislike the most is the blood parrot. Such an ugly fish, though again, many people love them. I can sort of see why, they are cute I guess. But I really don't like the look or the fact that life can be difficult for some of them. I do like bettas too though. They are nowhere near as bad as some of the crazier looking fish.
FinalFins said:
People actually give their fish chin jobs..... that I didn't know. So weird.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, you people out there in fishloreland frighten me. Wait. True confession. You people in fishloreland comfort me!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom