Completely/Evenly Random Discussion 2: The Randomer Discussion - Page 38

jinjerJOSH22

Crispii said:
I started from keeping rare species of fish and now I'm starting to keep rare species of plants! :p
The natural progression.
I had something very similar, I could never find a place for it and eventually got rid, I doubt it was that thought.

MaximumRide14

Not related to the current conversation but I went into a pet store today and they were advertising glo fish bettas. Has anyone else seen this before? It was the first time I've seen it.

Crispii

MaximumRide14 said:
Not related to the current conversation but I went into a pet store today and they were advertising glo fish bettas. Has anyone else seen this before? It was the first time I've seen it.
I have.

jinjerJOSH22

MaximumRide14 said:
No I haven't.
What's the point Betta's are already super vibrant.

MaximumRide14

Crispii said:
Do they transform jellyfish DNA into betta embryos? Maybe they do it the same way as the tetras since them come from the same brand. I forgot when they switched from dyeing them with the coloration.

jinjerJOSH22

Me and Mum messing with my Dog and he gets us back

Crispii

*sigh* Why do I always get 10+ notifications when I get online?

NC122606

Crispii said:
Mostly people making a memory book. :)

FinalFins

Crispii said:
Same here buster.

NC122606

MaximumRide14 said:
I haven’t, but Glo German Rams might be cool! (Even though there is a lot of variations of them, just a thought) I don’t know about the Betta though, I think that’s a bit overdrive, and that means more bettas on the shelf. :(

NC122606

Coyote Peterson is finally getting his own show! Thought it was pretty cool since I watch him a bit!

Feohw

NC122606 said:
Coyote Peterson is finally getting his own show! Thought it was pretty cool since I watch him a bit!
Nice. That channel has turned to trash recently. Not a fan of the cameramen replacing him. Hopefully the show will be good, though I likely won't get to watch it unfortunately.

Tez

MaximumRide14 said:
They have blues and reds in the aqauariums I go to and they're so beautiful.
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Me and Mum messing with my Dog and he gets us back
Never mess about with a border, they're not fools ;) and I can see he got you back with the video going blank

Feohw

Catfish are such cool little fish. Love comparing the two of these guys.

FinalFins

I moved the cpds to the five gallon with the betta finally, and one of the surviving females may have developed a disease, pale white spots on the top of its body.

Otherwise I rescaped again. Hated the dragon rock. Now it looks like a dirty section of a river.

NC122606

Ok so my tank cycle can take out about 2 PPM per 24 hours.
But should I try to bump it up to 4 PPM per 24 hours or leave it at 2?

CMB

NC122606 said:
Ok so my tank cycle can take out about 2 PPM per 24 hours.
But should I try to bump it up to 4 PPM per 24 hours or leave it at 2?
Depends. How many fish do you want to add to start with?

NC122606

CMB said:
Depends. How many fish do you want to add to start with?
I’m thinking of starting with 3 - 4 Cardinal Tetra because I kind of want to get the tank “established” a bit of you know what I mean. (Before I get Discus)

jinjerJOSH22

NC122606 said:
I’m thinking of starting with 3 - 4 Cardinal Tetra because I kind of want to get the tank “established” a bit of you know what I mean. (Before I get Discus)
I'd put more, even though they are "sensitive" in a 54 they are hardly gonna swing the parameters wildly if you put 10 or so.

Feohw

If you were only adding 4 cardinals then 2ppm would be more than enough. 4ppm is more than a full community should really produce, some people fully stock their tanks after cycling that much. You could add more than just 4 cardinals if you wanted, I would if it were my tank.

NC122606

Feohw said:
If you were only adding 4 cardinals then 2ppm would be more than enough. 4ppm is more than a full community should really produce, some people fully stock their tanks after cycling that much. You could add more than just 4 cardinals if you wanted, I would if it were my tank.
Ok thanks, I wasn’t sure because some said something crazy like 5 PPM in 12 hours which is 10 PPM in 24 hours! It had me thinking about it a lot. I might just go with 4 Cardinal since low bioload for the new tank and they should make great dither fish.

jinjerJOSH22 said:
I'd put more, even though they are "sensitive" in a 54 they are hardly gonna swing the parameters wildly if you put 10 or so.
Ok thanks! I’ll put in 4 to start with and see how it goes.

CMB

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Yeah, your tank will hardly notice a few tetras.

jinjerJOSH22

So I was thinking of making my 63 a "Catfish" tank and just adding my Pearls, then I realized:
Asian Bumblebee
Corydoras. Tri.
Corydoras Paleatus
Royal Falowella
Hoplo
It already is

NC122606

jinjerJOSH22 said:
So I was thinking of making my 63 a "Catfish" tank and just adding my Pearls, then I realized:
Asian Bumblebee
Corydoras. Tri.
Corydoras Paleatus
Royal Falowella
Hoplo
It already is
Never knew you had a Hoplo! How’s yours? I’ve been looking at cats recently! But I love the assortment!

Feohw

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Asian Bumblebee
Corydoras. Tri.
Corydoras Paleatus
Royal Falowella
Hoplo
It already is
Wonderful tank idea! Right up my alley. Though with the fish I go for it would be an empty tank to look at. Which is your favourite?

jinjerJOSH22

NC122606 said:
Never knew you had a Hoplo! How’s yours? I’ve been looking at cats recently! But I love the assortment!
They're fascinating to watch and just sort of go about their business , not shy at all. I've heard males can get somewhat rowdy but they are all young.

Feohw said:
Wonderful tank idea! Right up my alley. Though with the fish I go for it would be an empty tank to look at. Which is your favourite?
Feels wrong to say but the Asian Bumblebee, I finally saw him today, he came slightly out of his spot by about 6 inches but enough to see his full body :D
He'll likely go in the 100 when that's setup and I want Asian Glass Cats(scared of the sensitivity), a Polka Dot Syno(Not looked up care) and a Feather Fin Syno, there's one in my lfs that's about 10", if it's still there in 2 weeks i'm snagging it :p
Edit: maybe a Black Lancer, I didn't realize they were an Asian species :eek:

CHJ

jinjerJOSH22 said:
They're fascinating to watch and just sort of go about their business , not shy at all. I've hear males can get somewhat rowdy but they are all young.
The males get "rowdy" like an angry chainsaw is rowdy.

Mating males should be alone with a female. After laying the eggs the female should be removed. "Alone" includes your hand unless you are into bleeding. Use tongs if you need to move anything around in the tank.

Males that are alone with a female in a tank with surface plants should be considered mating even if they are not building a bubble nest.

To avoid "rowdiness" make sure your tank has no floating plants. In my experience if there is no surface cover they stay lovable sausages.

jinjerJOSH22

CHJ said:
The males get "rowdy" like an angry chainsaw is rowdy.

Mating males should be alone with a female. After laying the eggs the female should be removed. "Alone" includes your hand unless you are into bleeding. Use tongs if you need to move anything around in the tank.

Males that are alone with a female in a tank with surface plants should be considered mating even if they are not building a bubble nest.

To avoid "rowdiness" make sure your tank has no floating plants. In my experience if there is no surface cover they stay lovable sausages.
Didn't realize they were that bad lol. Not sure on sex of my 3 but of course I have floating plants, the tanks 80% GouramI
The lfs girl thought they may be male but they are still young so she wasn't sure.

CHJ

My breeding male has damaged me worse than any other fish.
I didn't think the pair was mating as the male didn't care to build a nest.
Does this look like mating to you? Nope, looks like snuggling.

Mating looks like this when you walk near the tank. He is not doing this and hasn't been for more than a month.

I figured they were not interested in mating because the duckweed plague had killed most of their frogbit by covering it.
I can stick my hand in the tank without issue.

So seeing as the internet says KoI eat duckweed like candy I figured a quick solution was get one and let it pig out. Then in a few months once the frogbit grows back they will mate while the koI is far away in a pond.
Nope, nope, nope.
KoI is now in a hospital bin.
It is missing its skin on one side. I'm guessing the hoplo took it off in a single pass.

They are adorable until mating. Then they will enthusiastically attack people and things smaller than people. Netting them is super easy as they attack the net.

I have removed the top cover plants from their main 55 to prevent fatalities.

In the middle photo you can see how thick and orange the pectorals front edge gets on males, this is their weapon (their tiny little mouths are just for tickling you if you hand feed them). No heavy front edge, not a male. Female fins are smaller and almost delicate looking.

This is a front fin on a female.

You can see the size and color difference.

jinjerJOSH22

CHJ said:

Mating looks like this when you walk near the tank. He is not doing this and hasn't been for more than a month.

I figured they were not interested in mating because the duckweed plague had killed most of their frogbit by covering it.

So seeing as the internet says KoI eat duckweed like candy I figured a quick solution was get one and let it pig out. Then in a few months once the frogbit grows back they will mate while the koI is far away in a pond.
Nope, nope, nope.
It is missing its skin on one side. I'm guessing the hoplo took it off in a single pass.

They are adorable until mating. Then they will enthusiastically attack people and things smaller than people. Netting them is super easy as they attack the net.

I have removed the top cover from their main 55 to prevent fatalities.
:eek: The emojI is pretty close to how my face is right now.

What size/age do they become sexually mature?

Absolutely stunning fish :D

NC122606

CHJ said:

Nope, nope, nope.

I have removed the top cover plants from their main 55 to prevent fatalities.

In the middle photo you can see how thick and orange the pectorals front edge gets on males, this is their weapon (their tiny little mouths are just for tickling you if you hand feed them). No heavy front edge, not a male. Female fins are smaller and almost delicate looking.

This is a front fin on a female.

You can see the size and color difference.
Aww, that sucks! Beautiful fish though!

Feohw

CrispiI how do you suddenly have so much more comments than me?? Slow down man!

FinalFins

Feohw said:
He's being a helpful little angelfish.

Crispii

Feohw said:
NEVER!!! :D

CHJ

jinjerJOSH22 said:
:eek: The emojI is pretty close to how my face is right now.

What size/age do they become sexually mature?

Absolutely stunning fish :D
Depends on how you keep them.
If they are in a 55 with regular water changes you can have a big dominant male and big female in ~6 months. These catfish do get full and quit eating so you can't power feed them. They can still grow like catfish an inch a month is EZ.
In a grow out bin with reduced water changes and 30 other babies they will be 1-2" long in 6 months. Hormones slow the growth, keeping them smaller until the market wants them again.

Once the front of the fin thickens up they are ready to mate. I'm not sure if they care before that. Mine did after developing obvious sex characteristics.

Oh yeah. Along with no surface plants, high surface flow also encourages good behavior as you can't build a bubble nest in high flow.
When you do want to breed frogbit is loved. I'm guessing any large surface plant will be appreciated. The thing they love more than that is a big plastic lid floating at the surface. Mine like yellow lids.

I do not know their lifespan. The internet says 4 years. I do not like the sound of that. I'm hoping for more in the 20 year cory range.

jinjerJOSH22

CHJ said:
Depends on how you keep them.
If they are in a 55 with regular water changes you can have a big dominant male and big female in ~6 months. These catfish do get full and quit eating so you can't power feed them. They can still grow like catfish an inch a month is EZ.
In a grow out bin with reduced water changes and 30 other babies they will be 1-2" long in 6 months. Hormones slow the growth, keeping them smaller until the market wants them again.

Once the front of the fin thickens up they are ready to mate. I'm not sure if they care before that. Mine did after developing obvious sex characteristics.

Oh yeah. Along with no surface plants, high surface flow also encourages good behavior as you can't build a bubble nest in high flow.
When you do want to breed frogbit is loved. I'm guessing any large surface plant will be appreciated. The thing they love more than that is a big plastic lid floating at the surface. Mine like yellow lids.

I do not know their lifespan. The internet says 4 years. I do not like the sound of that. I'm hoping for more in the 20 year cory range.
I think i've heard of them living much longer, I couldn't say the source but i'm sure i've heard it somewhere.
Thanks for all the information :D

Crispii

A MAN HAS FALLEN INTO THE RIVER IN LEGO CITY!

*Why do I keep seeing this meme?*

NC122606

Crispii said:
A MAN HAS FALLEN INTO THE RIVER IN LEGO CITY!

*Why do I keep seeing this meme?*
HEY!

Crispii

TheDitherFish

seriuosly what is lego city?

Feohw

Crispii

Nope!

Side note: I don't feel like studying for my exam tomorrow. It looks like I'm going to fail. :p

Feohw

Crispii said:
It looks like I'm going to fail. :p
As always, I'm sure it will be a mere 38/40.

Crispii

Feohw said:
As always, I'm sure it will be a mere 38/40.
Who thought it was a good idea to have lab exams? :mad:

FinalFins

MR PEANUT IS ALIVE AGAIN!!!

#babynut

Crispii

I just made a thread about my rare plant and yet no one seems to care about it. :cool:

I even mentioned about the plant and people still don't care about it...

FinalFins

Crispii said:
I just made a thread about my rare plant and yet no one seems to care about it. :cool:

You got a rare plant? *confused*

jinjerJOSH22

Crispii said:

I care it's just i've been on a 10 mile walk with my Dog and I want to D..,sleep :dead:

Crispii

FinalFins said:
You got a rare plant? *confused*
Yes sir. It's a plant that you will rarely see at LFS or LPS.

CichlidJynx

Ich and stress ich is the same thing, change my mind

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom