Charging in but...
How is everyone doing?

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
Charging in but...
How is everyone doing?
Fine. I now have a few days off from school this week.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
Nice! Same aswell!

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Crispii said:
Same here, though I really need to work on some stuff over break. I've got too many assignments to take off entirely.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
CMB said:
Same here, though I really need to work on some stuff over break. I've got too many assignments to take off entirely.
The post-Thanksgiving break will be rough for me. I have two exams and a paper that I have to do when I get back from the break. Not only that, but the week I came back from break won't be finals week!

Welp. Looks like I failed my English paper again.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Crispii said:
The post-Thanksgiving break will be rough for me. I have two exams and a paper that I have to do when I get back from the break. Not only that, but the week I came back from break won't be finals week!

Welp. Looks like I failed my English paper again.
I really wish those darn professors would stop making getting back from break such a pain. I've got 5 research based assignments, two tests, and a bunch of other stuff that I've got to do when this week is over. I want to work ahead, but I just can't seem to motivate myself to do anything. :p

And how badly do you suppose you did on this one? :)

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
CMB said:
And how badly do you suppose you did on this one? :)
Very badly lol.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I did a full round of testing on (almost) all community tanks today since I'm planning on a tank shuffle.. wondering if it would be interesting to start a thread on the results?
Not that I found surprises (all were perfectly well cycled, most were 0/0/0), just thought it might be interesting since they are all filterless and not everyone on this site seems convinced that works with a normal stocking (let alone overstocking).

In the meantime I'm trying to figure out how my new blackwater tank also came back as 0/0/0.. I was expecting a mild ammonia reading.. hmm >.<

BlackSkirtTetra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
PascalKrypt said:
In the meantime I'm trying to figure out how my new blackwater tank also came back as 0/0/0.. I was expecting a mild ammonia reading.. hmm >.<
Perhaps it cycled faster than you thought. How long have you had it?

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
BlackSkirtTetra said:
Perhaps it cycled faster than you thought. How long have you had it?
Well that's the thing, I didn't cycle it on purpose because the PH hovers around 5.5. It was supposed to just have a mild buildup of harmless ammonium (lightly stocked). But for some reason nothing seems to be building up after a week even though there are snails pooping in there and there are two fish stocked as well. Hmm..
The only thing I can think of is that I added leaves from buckets with rainwater that had been standing outside for a good long while, but then I should have seen nitrates right? Not sure if under those circumstances nitrate-eating bacteria would form, the leaves were not super densely packed and aren't at all now (thin layer on a bare-bottom tank).
Edit: well that, and maybe somehow I have a test that only measures ammonia and not ammonium? I thought they always did, but maybe not this one... (JBL). I can't seem to find good info on this.

BlackSkirtTetra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
PascalKrypt said:
Well that's the thing, I didn't cycle it on purpose because the PH hovers around 5.5. It was supposed to just have a mild buildup of harmless ammonium (lightly stocked). But for some reason nothing seems to be building up after a week even though there are snails pooping in there and there are two fish stocked as well. Hmm..
The only thing I can think of is that I added leaves from buckets with rainwater that had been standing outside for a good long while, but then I should have seen nitrates right? Not sure if under those circumstances nitrate-eating bacteria would form, the leaves were not super densely packed and aren't at all now (thin layer on a bare-bottom tank).
I know that the tank water contains very little Beneficial bacteria, but that’s the only thing that comes to mind. Could the leaves be holding some sort of bacteria on them? Bacteria can form in many different places.

Anyways if you have fish there its probably a good thing that the tank is showing no ammonia or nitrates.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Quick question, I’m not going to do the bucket dosing, I might end up just getting a hospital tank just for that.
Question how do I set up one?
I know the tank, heater, and etc.
But what about filtration?

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
Quick question, I’m not going to do the bucket dosing, I might end up just getting a hospital tank just for that.
Question how do I set up one?
I know the tank, heater, and etc.
But what about filtration?
You can use plain sponge filters. If you're going to use any HOB or canister filters, I highly recommend not adding any activated carbon in case you wanted to add medications or IAL.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
You can use plain sponge filters. If you're going to use any HOB or canister filters, I highly recommend not adding any activated carbon in case you wanted to add medications or IAL.
Ok thanks, so I’m a bit confused on the cycle. So the tank will not be cycled since the medication will ruin it?

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
Ok thanks, so I’m a bit confused on the cycle. So the tank will not be cycled since the medication will ruin it?
That remains to be seen (just test it to keep an eye on it). It is possible for the cycle to be lost but I've also dosed MB directly in the tank and not lost even a sliver of my cycle. So it varies.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PascalKrypt said:
That remains to be seen (just test it to keep an eye on it). It is possible for the cycle to be lost but I've also dosed MB directly in the tank and not lost even a sliver of my cycle. So it varies.
Thanks, I do have a bit of cycled media but I don’t think it would be a good idea to use it for this... So a sponge filter? What can I do to help the fish since the fish will be in a uncycled tank. (Pearl Gourami.)

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
Thanks, I do have a bit of cycled media but I don’t think it would be a good idea to use it for this... So a sponge filter? What can I do to help the fish since the fish will be in a uncycled tank. (Pearl Gourami.)
Unless the filter is pre-cycled, I wouldn't add a filter at all. A tank in the process of cycling will see nitrite spikes, whereas in an uncycled tank only ammonia builds up. Ammonia is way less toxic, so if you do regular water changes it shouldn't be a problem. Add some floating plants to make the gourami feel more at home, keep it bare-bottom for quick and easy vacuuming. I think that's about it unless you wanted advise with something specific?

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PascalKrypt said:
Unless the filter is pre-cycled, I wouldn't add a filter at all. A tank in the process of cycling will see nitrite spikes, whereas in an uncycled tank only ammonia builds up. Ammonia is way less toxic, so if you do regular water changes it shouldn't be a problem. Add some floating plants to make the gourami feel more at home, keep it bare-bottom for quick and easy vacuuming. I think that's about it unless you wanted advise with something specific?
All I needed! Thank you so much!!!

Update...
I ended up getting a 10 gallon tank!
Tank is filled up right now and now I am just waiting for the temp to drop, it’s pretty high right now.
I also picked up API Parasitic Care and Melafix.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ugh, I feel really bad I let it get this bad.
Got him in the tank...
Which treatment should I start with?
Bacterial, Fungal, or Parasitic?
Not saying it’s all of them but I have Parasitic to be safe.
5DF8BC24-EE03-4232-8563-435DF90C0BC9.jpeg

73E12AED-E9E2-4869-8384-572BF7F7743E.jpeg

Kind of looks bacterial to me...

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
Ugh, I feel really bad I let it get this bad.
Got him in the tank...
Which treatment should I start with?
Bacterial, Fungal, or Parasitic?
Not saying it’s all of them but I have Parasitic to be safe.
5DF8BC24-EE03-4232-8563-435DF90C0BC9.jpeg

73E12AED-E9E2-4869-8384-572BF7F7743E.jpeg

Kind of looks bacterial to me...
Oh wow... uhh, if the fungal and bacterial can be combined (or if the bacterial contains antiseptics) then go for both at once. If not then I agree with you and would go bacterial first.
Are those uh, stains/bumps/marks near the analfin raised? They look more like growths/lumps than they do fungal growths, or is that just me?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom