Completely/Evenly Random Discussion 2: The Randomer Discussion Question 

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Feohw said:
I've been 4 times, loved it. The history is one of the main draws for me. But I agree about the atmosphere and tourist experience. Wasn't a fan of that at all. I did get some free stuff though as they kept trying to get me to return to their shops again. I hate studying languages, so while I would love to learn Greek, I would hate the learning process. So not for me.

Haha. Its always funny to hear people try to pronounce Irish words. Even just names. I can see that it would be quite confusing, but having grown up with it it all comes naturally. I imagine a non-Irish speaker would be a tad confused by names like Ruaidhri, Caoimhe, Meadhbh, Siobhán and so on.
Oh the Greek was compulsory or I wouldn't have done it :p I hated some other compulsory languages more though. I dropped French and German and Latin as soon as I could, but one language aside from Dutch and English was required so I picked that one as the lesser evil. (Actually mostly because that is what most of my friends picked, it was that or Latin). I didn't hate it so much in the end though, and it is actually way more useful than you'd think. Lots of scientific names and medical terms and other technical lingo derived from it, it helped me lots with college subjects later.
That is, ancient Greek though. It is kind of removed from the modern stuff, they even changed some portions of the alphabet so I'm not very good with even pronouncing or reading modern Greek, let alone getting at the meaning. It is rather disappointing how little fluency you get from 6 years of education if you aren't really into the language and motivated to learn it in the first place.
(Meanwhile 8 years of formal English education was totally pointless. What a complete waste of my time, everyone at the top of that class was self-taught and would have rather done something else than sit there, not open a book ever and get straight As nonetheless; while everyone that wasn't very proficient to begin with was lagging behind so much the fast-moving class that assumed you'd just pick half of the stuff up spontaneously from your environment - it was torture to them. What a mess.)

I know Siobhan because I know someone with that name (something like "shevan/shauvan right?), but the others I wouldn't have a clue o.o educate me, how would you spell that phonetically? I'm very eager to learn :)

CMB said:
All this talk of Ireland and Scotland really makes me want to visit them at some point. It's the homeland of most of my ancestors, and I've heard it's absolutely beautiful. :)
You really should! (You know, if the costs allow it =#)

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PascalKrypt said:
Oh the Greek was compulsory or I wouldn't have done it :p I hated some other compulsory languages more though. I dropped French and German and Latin as soon as I could, but one language aside from Dutch and English was required so I picked that one as the lesser evil. (Actually mostly because that is what most of my friends picked, it was that or Latin). I didn't hate it so much in the end though, and it is actually way more useful than you'd think. Lots of scientific names and medical terms and other technical lingo derived from it, it helped me lots with college subjects later.
That is, ancient Greek though. It is kind of removed from the modern stuff, they even changed some portions of the alphabet so I'm not very good with even pronouncing or reading modern Greek, let alone getting at the meaning. It is rather disappointing how little fluency you get from 6 years of education if you aren't really into the language and motivated to learn it in the first place.
(Meanwhile 8 years of formal English education was totally pointless. What a complete waste of my time, everyone at the top of that class was self-taught and would have rather done something else than sit there, not open a book ever and get straight As nonetheless; while everyone that wasn't very proficient to begin with was lagging behind so much the fast-moving class that assumed you'd just pick half of the stuff up spontaneously from your environment - it was torture to them. What a mess.)

I know Siobhan because I know someone with that name (something like "shevan/shauvan right?), but the others I wouldn't have a clue o.o educate me, how would you spell that phonetically? I'm very eager to learn :)

You really should! (You know, if the costs allow it =#)
Currently I'm still in college, so I don't have a lot of my own finances. Once I get out of school, though, and have the money for it, I do plan to visit one day. It's on a long list of places I intend to see at least once in my lifetime. :)

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
PascalKrypt said:
It is rather disappointing how little fluency you get from 6 years of education if you aren't really into the language and motivated to learn it in the first place.
That pretty much sums up learning languages for me. Years of work for nothing. If I was interested at all, then it wouldn't be so bad. But I never was interested.
PascalKrypt said:
I would say Siobhán is pronounced Shavounne. Ruaidhri would be something like Rooree. Caoimhe would be Kweevah. And then Meadhbh would be Mayv/Maeve. No idea what madman decided all that.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Feohw said:
That pretty much sums up learning languages for me. Years of work for nothing. If I was interested at all, then it wouldn't be so bad. But I never was interested.
This, so much.

Feohw said:
I would say Siobhán is pronounced Shavounne. Ruaidhri would be something like Rooree. Caoimhe would be Kweevah. And then Meadhbh would be Mayv/Maeve. No idea what madman decided all that.
"Oh, we pronounce an o? How should we write that?"
-"a!"
--"ui"!
"You know what? We'll just put them all in there! Mix it up a little bit to be fair"
---"But what about the o--"
"Quiet, the word is full now!"

Breckenlovesrams

Valued Member
Reaction score
Crispii said:
Random question: What is the coolest thing that you found? For me, it's finding $20 on the floor when I was walking out from my history class today. :p
When I came
Crispii said:
Random question: What is the coolest thing that you found? For me, it's finding $20 on the floor when I was walking out from my history class today. :p
When I came back from my trip to see my dwarf hair grass has perfectly carpeted my tank.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Quick question, how can I treat cyanobacteria, there are a little spots of it on my sand and some sheets in the 5 gallon tank. I am using UltraLife Blue green slime remover but it seems to just stop the growth for a while an then it comes back.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Quick question, how can I treat cyanobacteria, there are a little spots of it on my sand and some sheets in the 5 gallon tank. I am using UltraLife Blue green slime remover but it seems to just stop the growth for a while an then it comes back.
Most cases I've heard of, it is either due to overlighting or macronutrient imbalance, e.g. a flooding of some substances due to decomposition of something large, like a clump of roots or a dead fish, etc.
My LFS is currently experiencing a bad case of it on their substrate after they switched to new (brighter) lights.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FinalFins said:
If I ever have it, I find the source of the problem and gravel vac the cyano out of there. If the problem is too much light, cut it back a bit. Too much phosphates/nitrates - water change. Do you know if your tap water has phosphates? If the flow of the water is low at the bottom, increase flow. If needed I will leave the lights off for a few days and/or add easycarbo (liquid carbon) which will take care of it.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
You can use hydrogen peroxide to eradicate cyano.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you, will look into perox.

Lights are on for 8~ish hours a day, plus co2 (easy carbo) for plants. I just found a dead snail,(20 gallon) could be responsible for the sudden growth. But that doesn't explain the 5 gallon....

I do not know if my tap has phosphates. TBH the flow is almost dead in the back corner but the front seems to get the growth. Will look into it. Usually I flip the sand over when sheets come (5 gallon) and that clears the growth for a bit. I can try a blackout but the last time I did that when the tank came out my bettas fins were ragged and have still not healed so will see what my options are :)

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Thank you, will look into perox.

Lights are on for 8~ish hours a day, plus co2 (easy carbo) for plants. I just found a dead snail,(20 gallon) could be responsible for the sudden growth. But that doesn't explain the 5 gallon....

I do not know if my tap has phosphates. TBH the flow is almost dead in the back corner but the front seems to get the growth. Will look into it. Usually I flip the sand over when sheets come (5 gallon) and that clears the growth for a bit. I can try a blackout but the last time I did that when the tank came out my bettas fins were ragged and have still not healed so will see what my options are :)
What kind of lights are they? If they are LEDs, what colour temp and how much wattage?

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Nicrew lights, 7000K I think. 18 watts (20 gallon)

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Feohw said:
Haha. Its always funny to hear people try to pronounce Irish words. Even just names. I can see that it would be quite confusing, but having grown up with it it all comes naturally. I imagine a non-Irish speaker would be a tad confused by names like Ruaidhri, Caoimhe, Meadhbh, Siobhán and so on.
...This! I have so much Irish blood, and my husband does as well (families originate from County Donegal and County Monaghan, respectively, though long removed) and we are very proud of that. It's not celebrated much in North Carolina, even though one of the main groups to settle the Appalachians (and create much of the dialect, music, and culture associated with the Southern Appalachians - bluegrass anyone?) were the Irish during the potato famine and the Scots after the second uprising.
Point being, all I want is a pronunciation key for Irish and Scots Gaelic. There's no agreement here on anything. My husband says "Slainte" is pronounced SLAHN-che and I learned it pronounce "SHLAHNte" Maybe he learned Irish and I learned the Scottish version? Feohw help us out here!!!
The letter combinations in Gaelic words I know they don't "Sound out" like English or the Romance languages. I mean, a few basic rules and you can sound out French or Spanish to a degree. Gaelic doesn't follow any of those rules lol. Even Feowh....how does the w before the h change the sounds of them? Help now I'm going to obsess over this all day! Half of the fiddle tunes I'm learning have Gaelic names so I know how to play them but I can't tell anyone what they are called.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Magicpenny75 said:
...This! I have so much Irish blood, and my husband does as well (families originate from County Donegal and County Monaghan, respectively, though long removed) and we are very proud of that. It's not celebrated much in North Carolina, even though one of the main groups to settle the Appalachians (and create much of the dialect, music, and culture associated with the Southern Appalachians - bluegrass anyone?) were the Irish during the potato famine and the Scots after the second uprising.
Point being, all I want is a pronunciation key for Irish and Scots Gaelic. There's no agreement here on anything. My husband says "Slainte" is pronounced SLAHN-che and I learned it pronounce "SHLAHNte" Maybe he learned Irish and I learned the Scottish version? Feohw help us out here!!!
The letter combinations in Gaelic words I know they don't "Sound out" like English or the Romance languages. I mean, a few basic rules and you can sound out French or Spanish to a degree. Gaelic doesn't follow any of those rules lol. Even Feowh....how does the w before the h change the sounds of them? Help now I'm going to obsess over this all day! Half of the fiddle tunes I'm learning have Gaelic names so I know how to play them but I can't tell anyone what they are called.
Interesting to hear where you originated and how the Irish and Scots impacted NC. Always love hearing about these things.

As for sláinte, your husband is more in line with the Irish version anyway. It sounds like slawntcha. Not sure how the Scots would say it. They may pronounce it as lan rather than lawn, though I can't be sure.

It's definitely not a very friendly language to those unfamiliar with it. Whoever came up with it all must have been a piece of work. For Feohw, I just say it like Fheo. It was actually just a spelling mistake that I didn't bother to fix when I made the account. I didn't expect to stick around for long initially.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Magicpenny75 said:
Hey, you're descended from Irish Appalachian settlers too? My family also has a large portion of our ancestors from Ireland that came here several generations ago (I want to say there are some of our ancestors that have been here since before we were actually a country). We've lived in Virginia pretty much forever, and have pretty much stayed in the mountains. I'm kind of into this family history stuff :)

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, just something I've learned over the years living in NC. My husband's family came through New York (and stayed there until his generation) and mine is also from up North - I'm not sure where though. It's my mother's side and she has a whole genealogy book back to the 1500's. My Dad's family were mostly English, but have also been in the US for a hundred and fifty years or so. I've got the Irish and English, and a little Portugese and Shoshone Indian thrown in for good measure. At least I can tan. :)
I wish there was more Irish culture here. I lived in Portland OR for six years, and you can't walk three blocks without passing a pub with a harp on the sign. You can't find one in Raleigh that even serves Guinness on a slow tap... "We got Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors Light - you know, the good stuff!" HA! Especially learning Celtic fiddle music, we looked all over for a good Irish pub that had live Irish Trad music, and there just aren't any here. We had one beer at a bad bad on St. Patty's last year and we came home and spent the rest of the day drinking home brew and I played "Danny Boy" and "Urchnoc chein mhic cainte" and made my poor sentimental husband cry <3 And then I played The Barrowburn Reel and Whiskey Before Breakfast and he felt better :)

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Magicpenny75 said:
No, just something I've learned over the years living in NC. My husband's family came through New York (and stayed there until his generation) and mine is also from up North - I'm not sure where though. It's my mother's side and she has a whole genealogy book back to the 1500's. My Dad's family were mostly English, but have also been in the US for a hundred and fifty years or so. I've got the Irish and English, and a little Portugese and Shoshone Indian thrown in for good measure. At least I can tan. :)
I wish there was more Irish culture here. I lived in Portland OR for six years, and you can't walk three blocks without passing a pub with a harp on the sign. You can't find one in Raleigh that even serves Guinness on a slow tap... "We got Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors Light - you know, the good stuff!" HA! Especially learning Celtic fiddle music, we looked all over for a good Irish pub that had live Irish Trad music, and there just aren't any here. We had one beer at a bad bad on St. Patty's last year and we came home and spent the rest of the day drinking home brew and I played "Danny Boy" and "Urchnoc chein mhic cainte" and made my poor sentimental husband cry <3 And then I played The Barrowburn Reel and Whiskey Before Breakfast and he felt better :)
Wow, that's an awesome family history you've managed to track there. Sounds like your mom is really serious about the family history, that's got to be really cool information to have access to. :) Unfortunately for my ability to tan, most of my ancestors come from the same little part of Europe. I don't tan, I burn, badly. On my mom's side we do have a bit of Jewish (I'm about 1/4), though, which is a fun little bit of heritage.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Nicrew lights, 7000K I think. 18 watts (20 gallon)
Hmm, doesn't seem too extreme.. what kind of plants do you have in there? Do you fertilise?
It is a little on the high side though, if you have a dimmer or something closer to 10 watt try that instead for a week or two and see if it helps?
I generally only have about 30-50% of watts compared to water volume, but this is low tech without ferts.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I do not have a dimmer, unfortunately. I do not fertilise but I am considering buying easy green by Aquarium Co-Op, maybe I'll get it for christmas. I use c02 though. The 20 gallon doesn't have it very bad, just small spots of it in the sand. Plants are water wisteria (just added) crypt wendetti, moneywort and various anubias and a single java fern with a forest of jungle val.

But the 5 gallon is getting it constantly. Same lights I think, just smaller. I do not fertilise that or co2 it, I did co2 it when some hair algae appeared but the problem started way before that.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
I do not have a dimmer, unfortunately. I do not fertilise but I am considering buying easy green by Aquarium Co-Op, maybe I'll get it for christmas. I use c02 though. The 20 gallon doesn't have it very bad, just small spots of it in the sand. Plants are water wisteria (just added) crypt wendetti, moneywort and various anubias and a single java fern with a forest of jungle val.

But the 5 gallon is getting it constantly. Same lights I think, just smaller. I do not fertilise that or co2 it, I did co2 it when some hair algae appeared but the problem started way before that.
What wattage is on the 5 gallon?
The difference may be due to the CO2, the plants in the 20 gallon are able to use the CO2 and bright lights to absorb more nutrients and so outcompete things like algae and cyano. The situation in the 5 gallon is different for this reason. Tanks without CO2 should have much more dimmed lighting.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom