Completely/Evenly Random Discussion 2: The Randomer Discussion Question 

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried my best to take some pictures with diffused light!
The colour isn't showing (they have red in the caudal, interestingly) due to that, but :shame: I'm loving them more and more every time I walk by that tank.
Stupid how something so insignificant can make one so happy :)

IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

... I really hope I'm not jinxing myself here. Just tested their tank, PH 6, GH/KH 0/0, TDS ~40. Which should please them more than the store since they were in normal water with just a ton of beech leaves added. No ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. Tannins are pretty light so I tossed in a few more fistful of leaves.
I wish I could get the PH to get lower to around 5 but it isn't happening until I find a reliable peat alternative, I guess.
Or maybe I just need to soak the thing in leaves, leaves, leaves. I'm going to check the magnolia in the yard tomorrow, see if the fallen leaves have dried crispy in the frost that started to set in during the nights this week. Until then, beech and oak it is.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PascalKrypt said:
I tried my best to take some pictures with diffused light!
The colour isn't showing (they have red in the caudal, interestingly) due to that, but :shame: I'm loving them more and more every time I walk by that tank.
Stupid how something so insignificant can make one so happy :)

IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

... I really hope I'm not jinxing myself here. Just tested their tank, PH 6, GH/KH 0/0, TDS ~40. Which should please them more than the store since they were in normal water with just a ton of beech leaves added. No ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. Tannins are pretty light so I tossed in a few more fistful of leaves.
I wish I could get the PH to get lower to around 5 but it isn't happening until I find a reliable peat alternative, I guess.
Or maybe I just need to soak the thing in leaves, leaves, leaves. I'm going to check the magnolia in the yard tomorrow, see if the fallen leaves have dried crispy in the frost that started to set in during the nights this week. Until then, beech and oak it is.
Well they may not have much color yet, but I think they look pretty awesome. I'm sure they'll do great in your tank, sounds like you prepped really will for the little guys.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
Oh, I didn't know you already had them. Yes, leave it at two then, I don't think you could support a group of 6 or so in a 20 anyhow.

Seems totally fine for a long tank. Planning on 1M2F for the honeys (honestly you could get a quartet too if you wanted to)?
Hmmm I feel like a quartet would push off the edge for stock.... according to aqadvisor I am 90% stocked and I am uncomfortable going any higher for fear of extra high nitrates.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can't wait to see the samurai colour up. Interested to hear how hard/easy you find them to keep too.
FinalFins said:
Hmmm I feel like a quartet would push off the edge for stock.... according to aqadvisor I am 90% stocked and I am uncomfortable going any higher for fear of extra high nitrates.
Only stock what you are comfortable with. Personally I'd stick with three, but my nitrates never rose very high when I was over 90. Mine are always at 5. Are your nitrates high as of now? Bigger water changes would mean being over 90 wouldn't have much impact.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Feohw said:
Can't wait to see the samurai colour up. Interested to hear how hard/easy you find them to keep too.

Only stock what you are comfortable with. Personally I'd stick with three, but my nitrates never rose very high when I was over 90. Mine are always at 5. Are your nitrates high as of now? Bigger water changes would mean being over 90 wouldn't have much impact.
Also, well planted tanks build up nitrates really, really slowly, so if you want to stock a little more, you can always just add some extra plants.

BlackSkirtTetra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What some really easily taken care of plants that can grow in bright conditions? I’m not really good with plants.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
BlackSkirtTetra said:
What some really easily taken care of plants that can grow in bright conditions? I’m not really good with plants.
No-effort (as in, also no root tabs required or substrate demands) plants include:
- salvinia and duckweed - both surface floaters, explodes and needs to be trimmed, filters nitrates. Duckweed may clog up filter, salvinia has bigger varieties
- hornwort - free-floating, also explosive if it works, but it hates some people's water and often does not do well in high (80F+ temps
- elodea/anacharis - same as hornwort, but can also root in the substrate and is a little less picky and I believe does better high temps but not sure
- hydrocolyte - quick-growing, doesn't mind high or low temps, very hardy as it doesn't completely melt but cuts back on growth if it doesn't like its surroundings. Anchor below some pebbles and it will grow in every direction
- hygrophila - stem plant that does best for me in zero tech tanks, it pretty much always grows in any surroundings, hot, cold, muted lighting, etc.
- bacopa, ludwigia, rotala - other popular, easy to grow stem plants, though for me have not been as hardy as hygrophila (but could be my soft water)

Plants that always work under pretty much any circumstances and can be left floating in a bare, unheated, unlighted tank without dying: anubias, java fern, cryptocoryne (crypts are particularly heat tolerant too IME). Note that all of these are slow growers, however. Do not bury any of their roots in substrate!

Edit: Oh and also ceratopteris (can be left floating) and pistia (surface floater with huge roots, good for fish that like cover)

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Last time I checked, nitrates were 5. With a 52 percent stock but I had done a water change before that. The tank is decently planted, tons of vals and new crypts popping up everywhere

I just finished reading 2 books, Variant and Feedback by Robinson Wells and they are both great books, recommended for anybody IMO. Hehehe some book talk anybody?

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FinalFins said:
I just finished reading 2 books, Variant and Feedback by Robinson Wells and they are both great books, recommended for anybody IMO. Hehehe some book talk anybody?
Haven't read those, I'll be sure to look into them, though. :)

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Book talk!
I can't say I've read those or even heard of them. Short pitch?

I've banned reading for myself this month since November is writing month. I can't do both at the same time :p

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PascalKrypt said:
Book talk!
I can't say I've read those or even heard of them. Short pitch?

I've banned reading for myself this month since November is writing month. I can't do both at the same time :p
I just don't have the time to read most days. Between school, dealing with appointments for various things, and the little bit of social time I get, I just don't have any time left over, sadly. I do love to read when I have the time, though.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Question (in general to everyone): What was the last thing you read (leisure, not academic)?

Hmm.. I suppose I should answer it but .. I'm not actually sure? Oh! Half-Sick of Shadows, by David Logan. I haven't finished it yet, I only read it when I have to spend 2+ hours in the train (which is more often then you'd think). A rather bizarre book, I just googled the reviews and people either rate it 1 star (weird and pointless) or 4/5 stars (brilliant writing!). Question of taste :p
Regardless of what you think of the plot though, it is brilliant writing. The author adopts the point of view of young child in the first few chapters in a way I've rarely read before, really *thinking* absurdist thoughts because the kid isn't used to the 'rules' of the adult world yet. It was funny and I could definitely appreciate it :) The last chapter I read where the protagonist moves on to school is less impressive... we'll see.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PascalKrypt said:
Question (in general to everyone): What was the last thing you read (leisure, not academic)?

Hmm.. I suppose I should answer it but .. I'm not actually sure? Oh! Half-Sick of Shadows, by David Logan. I haven't finished it yet, I only read it when I have to spend 2+ hours in the train (which is more often then you'd think). A rather bizarre book, I just googled the reviews and people either rate it 1 star (weird and pointless) or 4/5 stars (brilliant writing!). Question of taste :p
Regardless of what you think of the plot though, it is brilliant writing. The author adopts the point of view of young child in the first few chapters in a way I've rarely read before, really *thinking* absurdist thoughts because the kid isn't used to the 'rules' of the adult world yet. It was funny and I could definitely appreciate it :) The last chapter I read where the protagonist moves on to school is less impressive... we'll see.
I'm currently working on Ready Player One. Ironically, after what I said earlier, I managed to find time today for the first time in weeks to sit down and read. I might just manage to actually finish the book.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
CMB said:
I'm currently working on Ready Player One. Ironically, after what I said earlier, I managed to find time today for the first time in weeks to sit down and read. I might just manage to actually finish the book.
Woo, we swayed you! How is that book so far? I never actually saw the movie but I heard they butchered the book (like making the female protagonist attractive when it was a plot point that she had a 'disfigured' appearance, and so on).

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PascalKrypt said:
Woo, we swayed you! How is that book so far? I never actually saw the movie but I heard they butchered the book (like making the female protagonist attractive when it was a plot point that she had a 'disfigured' appearance, and so on).
I'm not sure about the ending yet, but so far I've enjoyed both. They're pretty different. I feel like the movie was a lot more fun and lighthearted, whereas the book is kind of darker, but I wouldn't say the movie butchered the book, more just went for a different feel. Not sure about the deal with Art3mis being disfigured yet, haven't gotten to the bit where he meets her in person.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PascalKrypt said:

Let's see, I'm 1/3 of the way through A Song of Ice and Fire, but that's just to pass the time between our fourth viewing of all 7 seasons of GoT we have on blu-ray and waiting for season 8 on blu-ray, which we pre-ordered in August. We did not watch it on TV so no spoilers please!
Before that I read American Gods. I liked the story, the characters were interesting although some of the secondary characters could have used a little more development. As someone who always did well in languages and loves to read/write, it was pretty apparent to me that the author is not a native English-speaker. Our non-English friends on Fishlore tend to have a better command of the language overall. I chose this book because I saw the ads for the mini-series on TV but wasn't able to watch it. The novel could have been about 200 pages longer, easily, and explored some of the themes in more depth. I kept waiting for it to get heavy and engrossing, but it just skipped on to the next piece of the story and I felt like I was left hanging a lot. I would recommend the book, but don't expect it to be terribly deep. It's definitely not academic literature...it's not even Clive Barker (Imajica is my favorite book ever of all time!!!)
Prior to that I re-read Outlander and followed that series all the way through Book 7 and am now awaiting Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone, but not very patiently!
Oh and PascalKrypt if you're looking for a two-hour train ride read, pick up The Dogs of Babel. It's about a man whose wife falls out of a tree and dies while he's away from the house, and the only one who saw it was the dog. The man tries to teach the dog to talk... it's a little crazy... but a great read and a definite page-turner.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Magicpenny75 said:
Let's see, I'm 1/3 of the way through A Song of Ice and Fire, but that's just to pass the time between our fourth viewing of all 7 seasons of GoT we have on blu-ray and waiting for season 8 on blu-ray, which we pre-ordered in August. We did not watch it on TV so no spoilers please!
Before that I read American Gods. I liked the story, the characters were interesting although some of the secondary characters could have used a little more development. As someone who always did well in languages and loves to read/write, it was pretty apparent to me that the author is not a native English-speaker. Our non-English friends on Fishlore tend to have a better command of the language overall. I chose this book because I saw the ads for the mini-series on TV but wasn't able to watch it. The novel could have been about 200 pages longer, easily, and explored some of the themes in more depth. I kept waiting for it to get heavy and engrossing, but it just skipped on to the next piece of the story and I felt like I was left hanging a lot. I would recommend the book, but don't expect it to be terribly deep. It's definitely not academic literature...it's not even Clive Barker (Imajica is my favorite book ever of all time!!!)
Prior to that I re-read Outlander and followed that series all the way through Book 7 and am now awaiting Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone, but not very patiently!
Oh and PascalKrypt if you're looking for a two-hour train ride read, pick up The Dogs of Babel. It's about a man whose wife falls out of a tree and dies while he's away from the house, and the only one who saw it was the dog. The man tries to teach the dog to talk... it's a little crazy... but a great read and a definite page-turner.
I liked the first two books you mentioned (haven't read the others), but I just wanted to point out that the author of American Gods is actually English, he's just British English. I know because he's one of my favorite authors, I read his stuff regularly. :)

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CMB said:
I liked the first two books you mentioned (haven't read the others), but I just wanted to point out that the author of American Gods is actually English, he's just British English. I know because he's one of my favorite authors, I read his stuff regularly. :)
Oh I thought he was from somewhere in Eastern Europe! Well I stand corrected - thank you for setting me straight. I've read several British authors - I guess his style just doesn't suit me much. Maybe more blunt than I am used to? I guess I seem to prefer more flowery descriptive writing. There were some scenes in the book (like with the three sisters) where I could almost feel the moonlight, and some where it was more "they got in the car and drove for three hours"... if that makes sense. Again though, thanks for correcting me; for the sake of continuity of the thread I'll leave the error in place.

ETA - I read Imajica when I was 18. I was working split shifts and read in between shifts for 2-3 hours and again before bed. It took me three months to finish it, but when I closed it for the last time I did not know what to do with myself because I had spent every minute of free time with it and nothing else!

My favorite author is Stephen King. Also not great literary material, but I love how when he describes someone's head throbbing he can do it in such a way that it makes your head throb.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Magicpenny75 said:
Oh I thought he was from somewhere in Eastern Europe! Well I stand corrected - thank you for setting me straight. I've read several British authors - I guess his style just doesn't suit me much. Maybe more blunt than I am used to? I guess I seem to prefer more flowery descriptive writing. There were some scenes in the book (like with the three sisters) where I could almost feel the moonlight, and some where it was more "they got in the car and drove for three hours"... if that makes sense. Again though, thanks for correcting me; for the sake of continuity of the thread I'll leave the error in place.

ETA - I read Imajica when I was 18. I was working split shifts and read in between shifts for 2-3 hours and again before bed. It took me three months to finish it, but when I closed it for the last time I did not know what to do with myself because I had spent every minute of free time with it and nothing else!

My favorite author is Stephen King. Also not great literary material, but I love how when he describes someone's head throbbing he can do it in such a way that it makes your head throb.
Yeah, I get what you're saying about emersive descriptions. I love it when an author sets a scene so well you might as well be there. I tend to find that, for me, a good enough story can make up for a lack of emersion. That, and the fact that most modern authors I've read don't do the serious descriptions, so I've just gotten used to it. Though there are a few who can really rock it.

I've heard Stephen King is pretty great at descriptions, but so far I've only seen his movies. Great storyteller, but I find a lot of his stuff leaves me wanting more answers. I feel like in most cases, he never tells you what was going on, and that bugs me a bit. The exception I can think of being Bag of Bones, that movie was really great, even if it was insanely dark.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Magicpenny75 said:
Personally I find SoIaF unreadable, I don't know why but I've never enjoyed GoT, I watched a couple episodes and read the first book and hated both of them. It's sad really, I normally am totally into that genre and they are so long, so much entertainment... I wish I could like it but I just don't. I do know the plot though, everyone was talking about it to that degree that I read the wiki articles so I could keep up lol.
Hope you like it! (Especially the TV ending, no spoilers but that one really split fans).
What is American Gods about? Never heard of.. Same with Imajica ...? (I like 'deep' books so the former probably isn't my cup of tea from what you said. It sounds like Percy Jackson...)
Oh Outlander! I have a friend who is a total fan (of the books), saw ads for it on Netflix earlier this week. I would watch/read it as I love those time-travel historical novels but as I said to her, I don't read books whose main plot is best described as "romance"... with maybe two or three exceptions out of ALL those that were created (uh, actually I can think of only one, The Time Traveller's Wife, ironically also about time travelling).

... yes, that totally sounds like something I'd read :p I will look that up and see if I can order it online, thanks!
Not sure if it is my #1 as I hate picking those, but definitely one of my favourite books of all time is "The Ringmaster's Daughter" (there isn't an English translation sadly, it is Norwegian originally, from Jostein Gaarder who wrote Sophie's World) about a man with too much imagination who ran an 'idea factory' that sold premises for books to bestselling writers with writers' block, then it got outed and now he's on the run, narrating his life's story to an imaginary companion. It's brilliant nonsense.
Another good book (for those of you who like absurdist-yet-grounded thinkpieces) is one that was loaned to me by a good HS friend when we did book swap of our favourite books a decade or so ago. The Suicide Club, about a man experiencing a midlife-crisis related slump who organises a meeting of likeminded people to try and find a solution to his lack of joy in life. Things get out of hand and the attendees end up creating a 'suicide club', hire and bus and organise a trip to the cliffs in the north of the country, that they intend to drive off when they get there, while the protagonist who feels guilty for causing this initiative join them to try and pursuade them that life is worth living.
Bizarrely enjoyable, just the right mix of dark humour and serious contemplation! Also Scandinavian, I don't know why but those people know how to write books!

CMB said:
I'm not sure about the ending yet, but so far I've enjoyed both. They're pretty different. I feel like the movie was a lot more fun and lighthearted, whereas the book is kind of darker, but I wouldn't say the movie butchered the book, more just went for a different feel. Not sure about the deal with Art3mis being disfigured yet, haven't gotten to the bit where he meets her in person.
Let me know what you think of it when you get there. Interesting though, so basically the movie was 'mainstreamed' for hollywood..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom