Completely/Evenly Random Discussion 2: The Randomer Discussion Question 

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PascalKrypt said:
I know of only one site that stocks them, so this saves me a lot of trouble! Apparently they were a very recent addition to that shop's stock and were selling out very fast every batch they got (the tank was placed very high up in a corner, I suspect they did it on purpose hoping only knowledgable people would end up buying them).
I've know about them for a while (spectacular looks indeed) but thought it would be near impossible to keep them. Now I'm wondering why they aren't more common, they don't seem all that impossible compared to the other peat labyrinths. The employee even noted that the ones they had were remarkably more social and friendly than the standard chocolates and probably easier to keep in groups.
... but perhaps I shouldn't get ahead of myself :p

Anyhow.. how have you guys been today? ^^
Not bad. I'm ahead on school work, and my new little ADF are being absolutely adorable. Sadly I've got new Otto's with Ich. Shouldn't be too hard to treat, though

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Quick question,
Got the Methylene Blue and not sure of the dosing. I already know it could ruin bacteria and plants so I’ll be doing it in a bucket maybe. (5 Gallons)

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
CMB said:
Not bad. I'm ahead on school work, and my new little ADF are being absolutely adorable. Sadly I've got new Otto's with Ich. Shouldn't be too hard to treat, though
Not sure whether to vote like or sad or optimistic on that post! Great to hear your ADFs are doing great (it's been around two weeks.. right?).
Sorry about your otocinclus :( Hope they pull through without a hitch! Did you buy them in a store or order them online? Didn't know you were getting any.

NC122606 said:
Quick question,
Got the Methylene Blue and not sure of the dosing. I already know it could ruin bacteria and plants so I’ll be doing it in a bucket maybe. (5 Gallons)
Are you planning on doing dips, baths or keeping the fish in the bucket and dosing it perm while in there?

Edit: Also what kind of MB did you get? Is it premixed (with a % on it), powder or a specific brand with instructions?

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PascalKrypt said:
Not sure whether to vote like or sad or optimistic on that post! Great to hear your ADFs are doing great (it's been around two weeks.. right?).
Sorry about your otocinclus :( Hope they pull through without a hitch! Did you buy them in a store or order them online? Didn't know you were getting any.

Are you planning on doing dips, baths or keeping the fish in the bucket and dosing it perm while in there?

Edit: Also what kind of MB did you get? Is it premixed (with a % on it), powder or a specific brand with instructions?
Not sure of what type of procedure to do because I’ve never done this before.

Brand: Kordon

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
Not sure of what type of procedure to do because I’ve never done this before.

Brand: Kordon
Ah, so specific aquatic medication. In that case there should be instructions on or with the bottle (or you can google what exact dosing to use, most online recommendations are based on Kordon, probably the go to U.S. brand?)
Anyhow. You can do a strongly concentrated dip (which is ~10 seconds with the standard Kordon solution I believe) or put the fish in the bucket and medicate it there. I would say the latter seems more effectively in this scenario (because otherwise you'd be putting the pearl back into the tank where it got infected straight after the dip and it may just get repeatedly reinfected). You could consider doing both but then keep the dip on the short side.
I usually either do concentrated dips + 80~100% water change of the original tank for serious problems (WC done while keeping the fish warm in a small cup of clean water after the dip); or I dose a bare QT for a week or so with a weaker solution (WC and redose every day).
Some people do baths, with a concentration in between a dip or tank dosing, which lasts for an hour or two hours. I have no idea if that is more or less effective, I've never done it.

edit: P.S., note that MB can only treat superficial problems, so it cleans anything on top of the fish's scales. It does zilch for any internal problems.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Be warned....MB willstain everything.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Be warned....MB willstain everything.
Right, I forgot about that. Like MG be mindful of your clothes and any surfaces you touch. It will stain EVERYTHING.

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PascalKrypt said:

The Ottos came in with the frogs, I ordered them both online. I think I'll have had the little guys for two weeks on Friday, and the frogs have grown visably. I started treatment for the Ottos a few days ago, and they seem to be doing fine so far. I think they'll pull through alright. :)

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
CMB said:
The Ottos came in with the frogs, I ordered them both online. I think I'll have had the little guys for two weeks on Friday, and the frogs have grown visably. I started treatment for the Ottos a few days ago, and they seem to be doing fine so far. I think they'll pull through alright. :)
Aah, I see. I missed that somehow. Which ones did you get, vittatus, affinis?
Good to hear it is going well ^^

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PascalKrypt said:
Aah, I see. I missed that somehow. Which ones did you get, vittatus, affinis?
Good to hear it is going well ^^
I may not have mentioned it, I was too excited about the frogs at the time. I just got the common grey variety, the store didn't list a specific scientific name for them.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
CMB said:
I may not have mentioned it, I was too excited about the frogs at the time. I just got the common grey variety, the store didn't list a specific scientific name for them.
In that case vittatus probably. Nice.
And totally understandable! They are quite eye-catching after all ;)

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PascalKrypt said:
In that case vittatus probably. Nice.
And totally understandable! They are quite eye-catching after all ;)
Yeah, I should really post some new pics for you guys one of these days, this new batch of frogs is active, fearless, and practically photogenic. :)

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh that reminds me, a few days ago I moved my panda cory gang to the 63, and wanted to take a few shots of them (I always do this upon introduction to a new tank so I can tell later if any damage, discolouration or blemishes came about in the tank or before), and Mu (see avatar) went to inspect them right as I was trying to get the camera to focus. Kind of an adorable shot.

"You are -- approved!" *smacks seal of approval*
IMG_3318.JPG

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PascalKrypt said:
Oh that reminds me, a few days ago I moved my panda cory gang to the 63, and wanted to take a few shots of them (I always do this upon introduction to a new tank so I can tell later if any damage, discolouration or blemishes came about in the tank or before), and Mu (see avatar) went to inspect them right as I was trying to get the camera to focus. Kind of an adorable shot.

"You are -- approved!" *smacks seal of approval*
IMG_3318.JPG
That's an adorable photo bomb there.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Does this look ok for my stock? The honeys and pandas are new additions bc I unfortunatly give up on the pleco =(
1574300872588.png

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Does this look ok for my stock? The honeys and pandas are new additions bc I unfortunatly give up on the pleco =(
1574300872588.png
Please remind me of the tank size?

I would not do two otos tbh..
Other than that, looking good!

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
20 long, sorry!

The 2 otos have been there for the whole time, they used to have a third but one died over vacation.

I'm afraid to do more otos bc the scare of not enough biofilm, otherwise I would gladly add more. Plus I don't have a mature QT tank ready for them. I can QT the honeys and cories in a 3 gallon or 5 gallon bucket for a week or two...

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
20 long, sorry!

The 2 otos have been there for the whole time, they used to have a third but one died over vacation.

I'm afraid to do more otos bc the scare of not enough biofilm, otherwise I would gladly add more. Plus I don't have a mature QT tank ready for them. I can QT the honeys and cories in a 3 gallon or 5 gallon bucket for a week or two...
Oh, I didn't know you already had them. Yes, leave it at two then, I don't think you could support a group of 6 or so in a 20 anyhow.

Seems totally fine for a long tank. Planning on 1M2F for the honeys (honestly you could get a quartet too if you wanted to)?

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks I’ll have to do it tomorrow or Friday!
Also found my Banjo Catfish after a week!

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FinalFins said:
20 long, sorry!

If you get some of the Rapashy algae eater food, I've found they'll eagerly gobble it up, so feeding won't be an issue. You'd just have to put some in the tank every few days, if you wanted to do more Otto's.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom