Completely, entirely new

molson622

Reaction score
Sorry if this question (or something similar) was posted in another thread. ??? I looked around briefly but didn't see it. Anyway, I'm a first time fish person. My GF bought me a 12-gallon Marineland Eclipse. I put 15 pounds of gravel in the tank, added a heater, and now it is steady at about 75 degrees.

I am interested in getting some cool fish. Tanks are expensive, so I think I am going to stick with my 12-gallon gift for now. I plan on using Zebra Danios, Swordtails, or Platys to cycle the tank. I know it is recommended that you school these fish, so when the cycle has run its course I assumed I would fill out the rest of the school. I figure I would go with the page recommendation and have 6 of them.

That, to me, seems boring. Does anyone know if:

1) I need to have 6 of them to keep them happy?
2) What a cool, non-schooling, larger fish might be? (I was thinking Convict Cichlid, although I guess he might be too aggressive)

I want to have a fish that stands out and is fun to watch. I don't want to have to have schools of fish.. that just really sounds boring.

Thanks for all your help.. ;D

Brut

Reaction score
molson622 said:
Sorry if this question (or something similar) was posted in another thread.  ??? I looked around briefly but didn't see it. Anyway, I'm a first time fish person. My GF bought me a 12-gallon Marineland Eclipse. I put 15 pounds of gravel in the tank, added a heater, and now it is steady at about 75 degrees.

I am interested in getting some cool fish. Tanks are expensive, so I think I am going to stick with my 12-gallon gift for now. I plan on using Zebra Danios, Swordtails, or Platys to cycle the tank. I know it is recommended that you school these fish, so when the cycle has run its course I assumed I would fill out the rest of the school. I figure I would go with the page recommendation and have 6 of them.

That, to me, seems boring. Does anyone know if:

1) I need to have 6 of them to keep them happy?
2) What a cool, non-schooling, larger fish might be? (I was thinking Convict Cichlid, although I guess he might be too aggressive)

I want to have a fish that stands out and is fun to watch. I don't want to have to have schools of fish.. that just really sounds boring.

Thanks for all your help..  ;D
12 gallons is way to small for a Convict Cichlid, they get pretty big

Jmarcus

Reaction score
Cycling a tank with live fish is not cool. Please check out FishLore tank set-up and go from there. Maybe by the time your tank has cycled you will have a better idea of the type of fish you would like to keep. Good luck and welcome to FishLore

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can cycle a tank completely fishless and not have to buy fish that you consider totally boring evidently. Please see and read the instructions on:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

On that page it gives several options for cycling fishless. I personally have used Option 3 with the pure ammonia. It is clean and fairly quick. You will need to buy a Master Test Kit (the one from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is the one most used by those on this forum and if you copy the online page from PetSmart they will honor the online price which is quite a bit cheaper than the store price.)

- the Master Test kit is the one you will need.

You will also need Pure ammonia like you find in the cleaning supplies section of the grocery store. (in the window cleaner section) Just do not get the lemon scented or anything scented.

Then you can get some fish when the cycle is complete. I know this is hard to go without any fish at all for a while but better than getting fish that you are not going to enjoy or want to get rid of later. Plus the number and type of fish you are talking about will have your tank overstocked to start with and leave no room for anything else.

Welcome to fishlore.com and we do hope that we have been helpful

Rose

OP
M

molson622

Reaction score
chickadee said:
Then you can get some fish when the cycle is complete.  I know this is hard to go without any fish at all for a while but better than getting fish that you are not going to enjoy or want to get rid of later.  Plus the number and type of fish you are talking about will have your tank overstocked to start with and leave no room for anything else.

Welcome to fishlore.com and we do hope that we have been helpful

Rose
I'm actually a bit confused. Is it a safe assumption that I could fit 10 small fish in my 12-gal tank? If I have six of one of those three species (not sure which one yet), then I should have room for four more? Instead of four more tiny ones, I was thinking two that were slightly larger and independant. I suppose it ISN'T a fair assumption to say that Danios (or any of the others) would be boring. I am just really excite and I wanted to have one fish that I could identify easily.

Also.. I am still curious if the schooling fish really need to be in groups of six.. would they be happy and healthy in a group of say, four?

Thanks everyone. I'm excited to learn more and this site (and community) seems to be the place to do that.

Wolfman

Reaction score
I have guppies and they are a lot of fun to watch. you could get maybe 7 male guppies in a tank that size. but be sure to get all males if not you will have way too many. They are very easy to identify mine play all day long together

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A quick way to figure out how many fish you can have is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. but you still have to figure their body mass in to that. When you buy fish research their adult size and stock them accordingly, don't count on getting a bigger tank in the future sometimes it's impossible.
Your tank holds 12 G of water empty. With gravel and other decor it probably holds about 9 or 10G. danios get to be at least 2 inches, so 6 of them (and their slim, not a lot of body mass) would be 12 inches of fish that's why chickadee says you would be over stocked. and yes schooling fish do much better health wise and activity wise in schools of at least 5 or 6.
I also recommend fishless cycling. This will give you time to research what kind of fish you want and all about them and what you have to do to provide for them. The research is almost as much fun as stocking the tank.
The only safe way to add fish immediately is to use BioSpira and follow the directions exactly.
There are some other products on the market that claI'm to immediately cycle your tank but they don't work very well.
Hope this helps Welcome to FishLore
Carol

New Threads