Completely discouraged

1. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

My 55 is green. SOLID green.
    :;dk
    Algae bloom I guess? I rinses my Can filter out - everything was green. I don't know what else to do, I've done HUGE water changes, and fasted my fish to limit nitrates. I can't even tell if everyone is even still alive. I also lost fish in my 20, no idea why.
    I'm just really discouraged in this hobby, it's becoming a lot of stress & tears and it shouldn't be that way.

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:console: Aww Amnda, I'm so sorry.
    It can be frustrating. Maybe you should look at your phosphates.

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Amanda, I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time right now. Please don't get discouraged. Unfortunately, I have NO experience with algae, but I hope you get it figured out and resolved soon.

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Test your source water. River water, in particular, can go through nitrogen spikes, but ground water can, too.

5. Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

UV sterilizer. 2 days. Say goodbye to it forever. I use the green killing machine from PetCo, cheap and effective. Also good for parasites!
    Also for what its worth the nitrates causing algae theory is pretty much history. Tom Barr has done loads of tests and found excess will not cause algae problems....fish problems are another story.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A UV filter might help out significantly. One of my tanks recieves some direct sunlight and as soon as I started getting algae I got a UV sterilizer and haven't had an issue since.

7. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

How much are UV sterilizers? I'm spending so much on my 150, so I need something relatively cheap.
    How do they work?

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

They work by exposing the water, and everythng in the water, to an ultraviolet light which destroys things on a cellular level. I think you can count on spending at least $100, but probably less than $200.

9. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Oh jeez...that's def. not in my budget right now.
    What could be causing it? Is there anything I can do to fix it?
    Do you guys think that it will still happen when I start my 150?
    This tank isn't exposed to outside light, only what's on the tank. And the light is on around 10-12 hrs. a day (6am - 6 pm)

10. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

ALSO:
    This green water happened after I added a water conditioner to aid in slime coat for my Oscar that leaped out of the tank. I normally don't use water conditioner, as there is absolutely nothing in my water (bad amanda, I know, I know)
    Could that have something to do with it?

11. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I've never dealt with green water, so I'm not sure if it will work, but have you tried a blackout? If you don't want to do that I would at least suggest cutting way back on the lighting schedule.

Sorry you're having so many problems. :(

12. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

:;group Aww Amanda that really stinks. Things have been pretty discouraging for me the last couple days as well. I don't know what could be causing the bloom, but if you really want to get rid of it, you could sterilize the tank and start over (use TSS or other filter media to do an instant cycle). I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but that's all I really know to do :(

13. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry Amanda, I don't know anything about algae, but I do know what it's like to get discouraged from the stress of losing a fish and tank problems. :;hug2 It'll be okay. We're all here for you!

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

15. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

It's possible.
    I'd go with a couple of days of blackout, check the water source, do a good vacuuming, and see what happens. It takes a bit for algae blooms to clear out, so give it a bit of time.

16. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Oh no amanda!!!
    You could try a black out. Just wrap your tank with black plastic bags for like... 3-4 days no food in the meantime and it should help...

17. namehater Well Known Member Member

your fish are probably just swimming around in there like whales with their mouths open! your gonna get that water cleared up just in time to see a bunch of fatty fishies!

i would do a large water change, then wrap the tank to block out as much light as possible, id leave it like that for at least a day.

18. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL we all wrote blackouts :giggle:

19. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww amanda~!:;hug2 for it to be that green, without sunlight , do you know the wattage of your bulbs? have you been too busy to water change like you usually do? are you overfeeding like i do!!!!!!? is it overstocked? most of those will give y ou an answer to the green water....is the filter too small?

id also go with a blackout and a fasting for a few days...do a huge gravel vac and maybe run carbon for a few weeks..the carbon will do wonders and much cheaper than a sterilizer...of course you have to change it in a month...but it will at least clean you up and be more affordable for now....good luck and dont loose faith!!!!! I know t hat 150g, school, cars, and such are bringing you down..but you do amazing for the time and money you have to work with !!!!!!:;group

20. shellbell4ever Well Known Member Member

yep I was going to say black out too :) and then cut back on the light exposure I have live plants and only have my tank light on for about 8 hours a day...hope that helps :)