Completely clear ramshorn snail!?

Lucas35

This morning I turned the lights on in my 35 gallon community tank that I have breeding rams horn snails in (among many other snails) and saw something I've never seen before. It was on the leaf of a fake plant. At first I thought it was a weird ball of biofilm. Then I saw its heart and realized it had a shell. It was a clear ramshorn snail! I have never seen them before. The types I breed are brown (they carry the leopard spots gene too and it is visible when they are young but as adults their shell's colour is darker than the spots so you don't see them) and red (red is actually albino but ramshorn snails have hemoglobin in their blood so it's red unlike almost all other snails and this makes albino's appear red). So what are these? There body is totally clear but they need red blood to survive so how is that possible? I have some pictures. I labeled them too because its kind of hard to tell in the picture. I now have it in a small jar so I can take more pictures if needed.

Here are my questions:
What is it?
Will it survive?
Can it breed?
If I breed it with another type, what will it produce?

richiep

It is a ramshorn I have them myself, it must be to do withe their genes

Lucas35

Maybe it's just the blue light but that appears to have a dark body, but a clear shell. I have that type too but the body is pink. That's a mini ramshorn, not a normal ramshorn.

richiep

At the moment this one is the size of a grain of salt probably that's what the color my differ slightly

Lucas35

That's as big as mini ramshorn get. They are very small but confused for baby ramshorn snails very often. Scientific name is Gyraulus chinensis.

richiep

I've had the bigger one like you but never look into working out how it got like it , I assumed it erinw347 any ideas

erinw347

I’m not too knowledgeable on ramshorns but I agree that it looks like a mini ramshorn.

Lucas35

I had a closer look at the pictures and the snail and noticed something weird. It's antennae are much shorter than my other ramshorn but also wider, kind of like a great pond snail. Very weird.

Lucas35

I found another one. It is slightly smaller.

Lucas35

There is lots of them now. Very weird. They must have hatched somewhere where they got stuck until now.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom