Completely at a loss... please help.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Asinity said:
Yeah I'm thinking a pack of Maracyn will be good to have around, especially since in less than two months I'll have my 21 gallon fired up!

Which would be best to get if I only get one?
I'd vote for Maracyn-Two.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think it may be too late... I can't get to a store tonight now, so there won't be any extra meds for Kyler for at least 20 hours. I just got in, and his dorsal fin is ripped to shreds, with a few pieces dangling, and it looks like the base of it has started to fall apart right where it meets his body.

The water has been kept clean, heated, and with daily Vita Chem and Fungus Clear... it's all failed.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Asinity said:
I think it may be too late... I can't get to a store tonight now, so there won't be any extra meds for Kyler for at least 20 hours. I just got in, and his dorsal fin is ripped to shreds, with a few pieces dangling, and it looks like the base of it has started to fall apart right where it meets his body.

The water has been kept clean, heated, and with daily Vita Chem and Fungus Clear... it's all failed.
i'm sorry to hear how Kyler's doing worse.. he's a tough little guy and i hope he pulls thru and beats this. It's a very persistent case of fin rot, but I think Trisulfa might be the thing at this point. it's the only thing i've found to really be effective in stopping fin rot. Best of luck to you both and we hope he turns around with the fin rot.

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. I completely understand how discouraged you feel, and my heart goes out to you and Kyler. Nothing I have tried has really helped with my fish Cujo, so I don't have any more advice. Just know that you are not alone, and you are doing the best that can be done for your fish.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Asinity, how is Kyler today? Are there any changes? Hope all is well. Val

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Not much has changed, the spot where his dorsal meets his body looks a little worse, some white fluff/puff/gunk (really not sure what to call it) is there today.

Trisulfa is by API correct? Or is it Mardel? Or do they both have their own brand?

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Asinity said:
I'm really getting fed up with all of this nonsense. I've been doing faithful daily water changes, giving Kyler daily Vita-Chem and the tank is empty (except heater, filter, air stone and Kyler) and has been at a constant 82. His tail is looking jagged again, and now his caudal fin has what looks to be the beginning of rot on the tips. Even the tips of his ventrals are looking a little rough. What's worse, he seems to have some kind of lesion on the top of his head, I noticed it two days ago and it's a little bigger now - it looks more like a scrape than anything.

I am getting very, very discouraged with all of these problems Kyler is having.

Christen on the other hand is doing ridiculously well, and she seems to have a liking for Kyler, she's always watching him from her tank which is about a foot away from his.

Is it possible that a tank/filter can cause these kinds of issues? I'm just thinking that because this 5.5 gallon has always been a death trap for fish it seems. Years ago when I was running this tank, all of my tetras that I ever had in it died off. The only thing that seems to live in it for any length of time are Goldfish and the two Swordtails I had way back. Can there be some kind of link, or am I just not doing something right here.
Do you know, I had lots of problems with my mollies flashing and scratching (I know, not bettas, but bear with me here). I did lots of frequent water changes to treat this. Then I had to go on holiday for 3 days and I was expecting the worse but when I came back, they were much better, calmer. Hardly flashing at all anymore.

Am wondering if we need to stop ourselves from changing the water so often in case of a disease? Could it be preventing tissue growth from stress/too frequent changes in environment?

Out on a limb, here, but hey.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Asinity said:
Not much has changed, the spot where his dorsal meets his body looks a little worse, some white fluff/puff/gunk (really not sure what to call it) is there today.

Trisulfa is by API correct? Or is it Mardel? Or do they both have their own brand?
Trisulfa is mardel's product.. I think API's is called Triple Sulfa or something like that.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Storm.

There really hasn't been much change in Kyler, not any better, but not looking any worse either.

What keeps me going is the fact that he doesn't even act sick, he's still a hyper fish and probably doesn't mind not having all the drag that big fins create, lol. I still don't know how he'll handle the commute to his new home in a couple months, I'm not so much concerned for Christen since she is in good health and spirits.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom