Completely at a loss... please help.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I siphon the water out with my gravel vac, then slowly pour new water in. Temperature change of 3 degrees or so usually, but I can't do anything to control that.

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
It helps to use your tank thermometer to measure the water you're putting in before you do, so it's the same temp as the tank was before or one degree warmer. This helps the temperature problem.

I know you want to keep the water super-clean, but you might be better off doing less frequent water changes, giving Kyler a few days at a time with his tank water undisturbed. Have you tried Bettafix? It is certainly not a powerful medication (or really a medication at all) but I've had success with Dory with it.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I did try Bettafix when this problem first occurred and was far from impressed with the lack of results. Also seems that some people around here don't seem to keen on using it, so I haven't bought it since.

I guess making the water the same temperature would be as simple as me letting the tank water cool down over a couple of hours to room temp, which the bucket is at, and then filling it up that way?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you have a probe thermometer it will make it easier to match the temps. i'd try to get the water you're adding up to tank temp rather than bring the tank temp down to it. a little bit of trial and error and you'll find the ideal combo of hot & cold water (mostly cold) to match your tank temp so you can just add it in.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm really considering settling Kyler into a tank without much movement. I do think that even on the lowest setting, my tank has too high a current for him to deal with. Watching the tiny little bubbles from my air stone float around the tank, there really isn't anywhere without current. I can definitely see how a 10 gallon would work better than any other tank now, they'd at least have a section where there is limited movement so they can rest.

What do you all think?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Asinity said:
I'm really considering settling Kyler into a tank without much movement. I do think that even on the lowest setting, my tank has too high a current for him to deal with. Watching the tiny little bubbles from my air stone float around the tank, there really isn't anywhere without current. I can definitely see how a 10 gallon would work better than any other tank now, they'd at least have a section where there is limited movement so they can rest.

What do you all think?
I like that. it's nice for the betta to have the choice of how much of a flow to swim in, and we like the calm corner for feeding.

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of your current tank set-up? Maybe there's a way you can shift things around to provide some calm water.

Also, like FLBettaCouple said, you want to heat the water you're adding to the tank to the tank temp rather than let the tank temp cool down. This isn't too hard to do, just add a little bit of hot water from the faucet and measure it with any thermometer (mine is like $2) adding more hot/more cold until the balance is just right. I use the same thermometer that's in my tank and just pull it out for that reason.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Right now the tank is empty, following the way that was recommended by Rose. Trying to keep the water as clean as possible.

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
It seems like you really are doing all you can do, and I'm sure things will work out for you if you hold in there. Your betta is lucky to have such a caring parent, and I wish you the best of luck.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've been going at this as best as I can, and the rot just gets worse and worse, the Vita-Chem isn't helping, nor is clean water... What the heck am I doing wrong here?

I'm to the point where I want the best medication for him that will just completely kill off the infection, what should I get?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
- I have heard that this is a strong finrot med.
but i think this: is the strongest.. i could be wrong but i know it's a strong med and for such a stubborn case of finrot, it might be needed.

I hope the med you choose knocks the finrot out for good.

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Here is a disease page frombetta talk. The person who runs this site is a very experienced breeder of bettas, and she has a LOT of information on her site:

Scroll down to the fin rot section to read the information there, but here is a partial quote (the emphasis is mine):

Do a full jar water change. Use tetracycline or Triple Sulfa (included in our Betta First Aid Kit) combined with Fungus Eliminator (included in our Betta First Aid Kit). Change water every third day and add a new dose of same medication. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth. This may take up to 4 weeks, so don’t give up. Once rot stops and fins start growing back you can stop treatment, but not before then.   
This is what I'm doing with Cujo right now, using Tetracycline. The package of tetracycline has different directions, but I'm not following them. I'm not overdosing him, but just carrying on the treatment longer, as Faith suggests above. I'm not saying this is the right way to go, please use your own judgement. But what my experience with Cujo has been like is this: he'll go on meds, the rot will halt, he goes off meds, the rot immediately comes back. The difference in the above scenario is that you continue treatment for a much longer time, and I believe this makes completely sure that all the bad bacteria is gone. Cujo has been on the TC for 2 weeks now, and while I was out of town had some more fraying on his tail. So he's going to get the next two weeks with more of the same. After that he will go on a two week regimen of either betta fix or bettamax.

I know there are others that will completely disagree with what is suggested above, but hey, there's lots of info out there and if the current suggestions aren't working, then look for new ones.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We do not normally consider it good form to keep referring people to other sites for information when they are getting help here.  Our members are capable and helpful and have experience here too.  I am aware of this site and know that she also pushes her own line of medications and sells her services.  This is not appropriate on this site. (i.e. her Betta First Aid Kit)

Rose

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
My apologies. I see people tossing links around in almost every thread here, I had no idea it was an issue. You may edit my post if you feel it is necessary. I was just trying to help someone who is struggling with the same problem as I am with my own fish. As I stated, I am by no means suggesting they follow the advice (or buy any products), I was just trying to point out there are other opinions out there by seemingly knowledgeable people that have not been suggested already. The point of a discussion forum, no?

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have never seen anyone but me refer to the product Maracyn Plus. When I was medicating, I was using it only....not because anyone recommended it, but because my Q tanks were smaller ( 1.66g - which I don't use anymore & 3 gallon Eclipse). These tank sizes were more difficult for me to measure-----ok I am dahhhhhhhh I admit.) It is a liquid and so much easier to use. It is made by the same company as Maracyn 1 & 2, but is stronger and treats gram pos & gram neg bacteria and says it "treats the fish, not the water by attaching to or penetrating their skin" . You dose it on days 1,3 &5 and can repeat.

When I first got Storm and he was mostly dead, laying on his side, not eating, only going up for air...........Phlox suggested I start treating him for bacterial infection. Up to that point He had only been getting VitaChem.........he was really sick at that point. I have every product Mardel manufactures, so after reading and reading, I just decided to use Maracyn Plus ( quite frankly because it was easiest to dose). Within 2 days Storm showed improvement and now he is , as his name suggests, always raising up a storm. 8) Now he did not have fin/tail rot...but after 2 courses he is healthy and med free.

I also decided to use Maracyn Plus on Neptune's recurring fin rot, along with AmQuel, which I started to use at Mike's suggestion, since it would eliminate the daily water changes. I saw improvement for two weeks, even though his tail refrayed beginning of last week. I did not resume Maracyn Plus at that point, to just see how he would fair with VitaChem/NovAqua/AmQuel and he is doing good. I know stress can cause this fin rot to happen and recur, however Neptune seems to enjoy having his tank cleaned and siphon vaced...and was always playful and curious. : I never take him out when I do the tank.

I thought I would share my experience with meds since I sure am sharing the fin/tail rot problem with you, Eskielvr; Asinity; Mike; etc, etc. It also was a big help to me when I could stop the
panic & self doubt..............I am trying to fake Netune out by acting all "in charge" and just doing my own thing. I think Maracyn Plus is a good product, for what it's worth. Val

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Something that I can repeat would definitely be a plus as it seems Kyler needs it. I have never, ever dealt with rot like this before, and the water changes everyday/second day are really starting to get quite annoying, so AmQuel sounds like it would make things less stressful (for me and Kyler, lol)

I really hate to keep asking for help, but it's to the point where this thing needs to be stopped now, and aggressively. I don't even care if it messes with my Cycle at this point. :-\

With all these products saying they cure fin rot, it's too difficult to figure out which one is best. Cost obviously has a big role to play in this too. I'm still up in the air with what to get, any of the Maracyn's, Furan, Trisulfa, Tetracycline... too much stuff

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You are right, there is too much stuff, you will probably end up like I did, have all the drugs, have all the support, you get confused and just make your own decision. I used both Maracyn 1 & 2 but not together; Trisulfa, Betta fix.all the powders and tablets are a pain. I love my little guys, but I gotta have a life...LOL :-[

Also, when I used AmQuel plus, I put Neptune in a Q tank, and his 6g is right on the verge of being cycled, he will probably go back in tomorrow.

I am still using AmQuel + ( and even that is contraversial) for Storm in his regular tank and Neptune while he is waiting....I could not deal with trying to cycle more than one tank at a time. I will try Storm's tank when Neptune goes back. This was the only way I per sonally felt like a had a grip on what I was dealing with - and at the centre of it all was always - how can I make this whole proceduer less stressful on me & the fish!! Being a new fish owner, I also had to get over the heebee-jeebees of putting stuff into the fish tanks. Once I fully understood that there was no danger in it, and if it didn't work I could move on, it was much easier!!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Everyone tells me on this forum " there are no dumb questions" so I keep asking them...LOL...there is a wealth of help and ideas here and I have learned so much!!

Val

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Finances are definitely another issue which causes me some problems. You don't realize how much betta's actually cost in the long run when you've only ever had them in bowls, and never managed to get noticeably sick. I'm looking at meds, and pretty much anything by API is like $20 for a couple doses, Maracyn is the same deal. I can't afford to keep putting money out on medicines right now when my fiance and I are saving for a house we will be moving into in just a couple months, wedding deals, and all that other stuff.

It really sucks because I don't like putting a priority on something like this, but $20 on meds is $20 from our funds gone.

I've even played with the idea of giving him up for adoption so somebody who can afford it, can bring him back to health. I'd miss the little guy, but I'd rather know he's happy and healthy.

I did buy some AmQuel+, so that should reduce the water change stress, and am likely going to give the Fungus Clear one last shot and hope like heck that it gets rid of it.

Any other thoughts?

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would second kat in saying that maracyn works. Ribbon had a bit of finrot a month ago and I immediately dosed him with it; he got better and it stopped. Stress has a lot to do with finrot, I think, but also bettas might be snagging fins and then getting freaked out and getting the wounds infected too--it's hard to tell with an animal that small.

I hope yours does okay. It's troubling but true--ironically the very first betta I had I kept in a bowl and it lived the normal length of time, was never sick. So your question is not invalid. However I wouldn't stick Ribbon into a bowl and I don' t think that is really the problem. For instance you could hardly find a person around here who loves bettas more than Rose, but hers have gotten sick and sometimes they just were, almost nothing she could do about it. I'm sure you are doing all that you can. I really hope and pray that Kyler gets better.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm thinking a pack of Maracyn will be good to have around, especially since in less than two months I'll have my 21 gallon fired up!

Which would be best to get if I only get one?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom