Completed Tank, Good? 15 Gallon Tank

1. Guppy43 Initiate Member

Finally completed building my first low tech planted aquarium (I think). Using a Aquaworld slim filter L 137gallon/hour + a bubble sponge filter. The LED fixture's new( I forgot its wattage but think its 13-14W)

Got round 10 individual plants in the tank, altho I mainly chose the low maintenance variety.

Admittedly being a noob aquarist the tank is overstocked mainly with schooling fish(various tetras and 5 dainos), 5 cories, an octo couple, gouramis,3 swordtails and a single balloon ram. It looks nice and all the fish are healthy(although some are alittle fat). Also have a mystery snail in there... somewhere.

Tank's cleaned weekly where roughly 30% of the water is removed along with the visable poop, I leave the gravel boxes and plant roots alone tho.

Any thoughts on how I could improve it? [​IMG]

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You have some stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss them :) Can you list exact species and numbers?

Love all the plants!

3. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

You have a few stocking problems here. The danios need at least 20 gallons, and so do the swordtail and the ram.

4. Manjit Member Member

I would suggest to reduce some fishes.... your tank is overstocked.... siphon pipe would be of much help with gravels

5. Guppy43 Initiate Member

There's alot tbh
    Got 4 false neons,3 ember tetras,3 rummy nose, 3 gold tetras,3 albino serpia tetras,3 hengel rasboras, a green eye gert, spotted rainbow blue eye rainbow fish, 2 goldlaser cories, 1 albino cory, 1 leopard cory, 1 panda cory, 5 zebra dainos,2 octos, 4 samurai gouramis, 4 licorise gouramis, 1 honey gourami, 2 green swordtails,1 sunrise platy an SAE, a balloon ram and a mystery snail
    Yea its alot but they're all healthy.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You definitely have stocking issues, and unfortunately many of your fish are likely very stressed. I would not expect them to stay healthy long term if you leave them like this. If you'd like some stocking help, let us know. We can help you with a stocking plan that will keep your fish happy and healthy.

7. Manjit Member Member

I am surprised actually shocked....

sad but you have to give away some of your fishes or buy a new tank

8. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

So each type of tetra, the rasboras, the rainbowfish, each type of cory and the otos all need to be in groups of 6+

Panda cories and zebra danios need cooler water than the ram

That is extremely overstocked, not a healthy tank. Those fish are not healthy. The schooling fish will be stressed in small groups, temperature incompatibilities will add to stress and such an overcrowded tank cannot contain healthy fish. Many of your fish need much more room.

9. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

Beautiful tank.
    I'm a little concerned with how your bottom is set up. I think your cories will have a hard time doing what cories do. I think I would have skipped the cories.

10. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

What are the dimensions of the 15 gallon? You have too many fish in there, BTW.

11. Guppy43 Initiate Member

I do have a 60g in storage, would transferring everything there work?

12. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

Wow! I don't know where to start...

Between the two tanks, it may work.

13. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

That's still too many fish for a 15 and a 60 if you upped the schools to a minimum of 6 each

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed. You'll need to rehome some of your fish. What are your favorite species? We can help you come up with plans to stock around those.

15. Guppy43 Initiate Member

Well I just bought 110 gallon to rehouse all of them... save for the samurais which are my fav hands down.Gonna take some time to set up the new aquarium but know it will be worth it

On a totally diff topic, wats the "op" under my pf pic?

16. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

It means you started this post. So "op" means Original Poster

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Even a 110 gal isn't big enough to support full schools of all of these fish. We can help you stock the tanks appropriately if you want, but you'll still have to rehome some fish.

18. DuaneV Member Member

"Stocking issues" doesn't necessarily mean the tank is too small. It CAN mean that you don't have a big enough tank, but it can also mean you don't have enough fish, it can mean you have fish that have different temp needs, you have fish that dont belong together, etc. You have a lot of stocking issues. Tank size, school size, temps, etc. You should consider almost starting over. Look at what you have and figure out what are your favorites and see if theyre compatible as far as temperatures and temperament. If they are, then see what their ideal numbers are, i.e., are they schooling fish that do better in larger groups. THEN figure out what size tank itll take to keep them all.

Fish keeping can be hard. You walk into a pet shop and see LOTS of fish you like. Lots of times they have many types together in a small tank and this is deceiving. They get away with it because theyre moving HIGH volumes of fish, and lots of times theyre babies and very small compared to what they will be (just yesterday I was in Petco and they had a tank with about 30 guppies, 15 corys and 10 yo-yo loaches, WAY too many and not the right temps). But it makes you want one of this, one of this, one of this, etc., and that doesn't usually work. You really gotta plan it out if you want healthy, happy, long-lived fish.