Complete Noob to Can Filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Smurphy90, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Smurphy90

Smurphy90 Valued Member Member

I got a ~25 gallon aquarium from a friend who was moving out of country.

The problem is, I moved to Germany (when he moved to England) so I can't understand half of the equipment he has.

Mainly, the canister filter. I've never used one; I've only ever had a 10 gallon aquarium and always used HOB filters. So can someone help me understand how to best set this up, preferably with materials I already have?

The filter is a JBL CristalProfi 250. It came with (what I'm assuming to be) bio balls layered in the very bottom (NOT in a tray), one tray with three layers of relatively porous nylon-feeling sponge, one tray full of ceramic media pellets, and one tray with two layers of the relatively porous sponges, one layer of a heavier less-porous sponge, and a thin piece of some sort of foam (kind of LOOKS like wool, though I'm assuming it's not?)

Like I said... I am a complete noob to these filters and I can't find a manual for this thing anywhere (and most info on it in general is in German, which I do not speak).

Any input is appreciated.

I also have something else that I just don't know what it is. It's just labeled Eheim and it seemingly goes on or in the aquarium itself (as it has suction cups and looks like it has purple algae on a part of it, that looks like it attaches to some small hose, based on the size of a hole it has). Any thoughts on this?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. OP
    OP
    Smurphy90

Here are some photos.

Sent from my GT-I9515 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

4. Coradee

The Eheim is an Eheim Pick Up internal filter, not sure what size it is, they do a range of them.
    Edit: looks like the 2010 size up to 160 litres

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  5. OP
    OP
    Smurphy90

Would I need to use both the pickup and the can filters?

6. Coradee

Not in a 25 gallon, the external would be better probably.
    Hang on for someone who knows about the other one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice