complete newbie, hello! 15 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ex-bootneck, Apr 14, 2010.

1. ex-bootneckNew MemberMember

hi everyone!
    im new to this site and new to keeping fish (well haven't actually bought any yet)
    i've just bought a 15 gallon (60 litre) freshwater biorb tank and have done some research and have read about carrying out fishless cycles, etc and reading some of the horror stories on here, am glad i did!
    i've looked into the fish that i want and was hoping for some advice as i didn't want to mix the wrong types of fish and come home to a massacre, i also didn't want to over populate the tank!
    the fish i had in mind were a blue siamese fighter, a neon dwarf gourami, a blacklace angel fish and i wanted to add a ruby shark once the others had settled in, to try and prevent it from bullying the others and nipping at the siamese fighters fins?
    i also read that angel fish and siamese fighters may see each other as a threat?? all advice would be greatly appreciated!
    cheers guys, dave

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fl :)

If you go to the main fishlore page, there is a list of fish on the right side of the page. these are the profiles for each type of fish - you can find out minimum tank sizes, suitable tankmates, etc. I am not telling you this because we won't help with stocking ideas. I am telling you because the best thing you can do for your fish is loads of research.

Congrats on the fishless cycling. What method did you use?

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Sadly, your stocking list contains many problems.

1. Siamease Fighters are usually not community fish and really should be in a tank by themselves. While on rare occasion they will work in a community tank, they never get along with Dwarf Gourami's.

2. Angelfish get much to large for a 15 gallon tank.

3. I think the Ruby Shark also gets too large for that tank also.

Sorry to have to give you nothing but bad news...especially on your first post.

4. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

welcome to fishlore!!!!
    |
    +2 I agree with john !

5. OP
    OP
    e

ex-bootneckNew MemberMember

thanks for the advice, i used pure ammonia and increased the water temp to around 28 degrees in an attempt to speed up the process!

dohh! back to the drawing board! thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
  6. josh11551

josh11551Well Known MemberMember

when in doubt get some guppies =]

7. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

I agree, Guppies are very pretty but with a small tank like that, best to stick with all the same sex. Unless, you want to sell your Guppy fry to Josh. :)

8. josh11551

josh11551Well Known MemberMember

:;rl really? that obvious? lol

9. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Welcome :;hi2

One important consideration on Bi-orb aquariums is that they are a lot taller than they are long, which means considerably less swim space for your fish.

You should also consider an air pump to help introduce oxygen into the water as they are a fully enclosed system, with limited surface area.

I would look at:
    - some small tetras, maybe 5 x Glolight, or 5 x Neon (not both)
    or
    - 5 x sparkling gourami (aka pygmy gourami)
    or
    - 1 x betta with some Red cherry shrimp or snails

and then I'd add some plants (low light) with some moss.

my 2c ;)

Oh - and congrat's on the fishless cycle.

10. CharlemagneValued MemberMember

Hi, welcome to Fish Lore. I'd really suggest getting a Siamese fighter. I have successfully kept 2 of them in community tanks, but I'm beginning to think I'm the exception to the rule. Fighters are my favorite kind of fish, and you can keep them with snails and a few other algae eaters. Good luck on your new tank!
    Edit: P.S. You def. CANNOT keep them w/ dwarf gouramis! I tried in ignorance, and they fought badly.

11. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I'm glad you posted here before you went out and got all those fish! Good on you for doing your research before you had an emergency on your hands. :happy0034:

Of the fish you named, I think that the betta (Siamese fighter) is the only one that's suitable for a tank of your size. And 15g would make a very nice comfortable home for one, too. However, as Ryan pointed out, the Biorb is a tall tank (rather than long) and a betta would be happier in a long tank because they aren't very strong swimmers and must reach the surface occasionally to breathe. (Bettas have a labryinth organ which lets them breath surface air.) If you do decide to put a betta in there, you should try putting some tall plants in it (fake or real) so that the fish has something to rest on.

12. michael68Valued MemberMember

i have two dwarf gouramis in a 20 gallon with a male betta and they dont even know each other exist.There is exceptions to every rule.Life is trial and error.

13. OP
    OP
    e

ex-bootneckNew MemberMember

brilliant, thanx every1 for all your comments......think i'll do some more research before getting any fish!
    i will be sure to run my next list past u all! hahaha!
    cheers, dave

14. angeliccreature

angeliccreatureValued MemberMember

hi its great to meet new fish keepers im not sure, but i beleive adding both the fighting fish & groumi at least i think theyed fight but im not totally sure i may hav had fish for yrs but i learn stuff every day. i hav a 14 gallon w/ about 8 fish and im stlil questioning my stocking

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice