Complete Beginner with 20gallon long tank

susitna-flower
Stuff Happens! So sorry. One thing I suggest every aquarium owner should have on hand as required equipment is a wet/dry shop vacuum. Timg has described how he uses one to clean his aquarium that has undergravel filters, I tried it and it works great! But then if you have a problem with your tank, you just whip it out, and vacuum up the water, and no damage done to floors, rugs or anything and it will dry without mold. I got a big one a few weeks ago, cost under $200. and just the other day we sprung a leak in our plumbing, and guess what, it all cleaned up slick and quick. What a relief!

Fish in the Frozen North

Advertisement
Matt C.
woo! today I picked up a 55 gallon to replace it! only 90 dollars. now... hopefully... my dog will stay down. lol

Advertisement
COBettaCouple
lol.. yea, I hope so too.

susitna-flower
Very Cool,

Fish in the Frozen North

armadillo
HI Matt. Sorry am butting in a bit late but here goes:
- really sorry about what's happened with the dog. What a bummer. did that happen on the tank with fish and are all the fish OK?
- water changes don't have to stress the fish out. mine really enjoy it. I pour the water back in with a watering can. if they appear stressed during water changes, you could syphon the water out (just using a hose, a bucket and the laws of physics!)
- when getting decor, one really important thing to think about is hiding places. providing plenty of hiding places for your fish will go a long way in dampening excessive bullying and territoriality issues
- I am with Vin on that one: I'd do water changes at least every couple of days. A good way of knowing who's right and who's not is to get the water test kit. While cycling, I used to test every day during the nitrite part, as those nitrites can really go up to very scary levels very quickly. Small, frequent water changes don't have to stress the fish out but they're not so keen on large water changes. Of course, when you put the water back in, you have to make sure the temp is more or less the same as the one in their tank already. Perhaps that's what's stressing them out?

Hope this helps.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rythmyc
Replies
Views
Bellasmith
Replies
Views
Paul2018
Replies