Compatible? Question

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Khory4611, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Khory4611New MemberMember

Based on the tank in my profile will the angelfish get along with everyone when he grows up? Based on research here I thought I was good but the guy at my LFS scared me to death. He pretty much said the angel fish will eat everything but the gouramis...

Also he told me to only change water once a month. Currently I do 10% once a week or so. No problems yet. Can water be "too clean"?

2. JeffcameronValued MemberMember

Hi there, If the Angel is small he wont eat any of your fish at the moment. When they are fully grown they can eat fish that will fit in their mouth so fish under 2 inches may have an issue but I think everything in your tank will be over an inch so they should be fine (Zebra Danios may have probs).

As for changing your water it depends on how stocked your tank is and how many nitrates build up in your tank. The purpose of changing water in a fully cycled tank is to reduce the nitrates as they can be harmful when they build up too much. I keep my nitrates under 20 so I do weekly water changes on my tanks of about 20%. Like I said though it depends on how stocked your tanks are so keep an eye on your nitrate levels and change the water accordingly.

Oh and just looking over your stocking list again you are quite heavily stocked so if it were me I would be doing at least 1 weekly water change. I definitely wouldn't leave it a month!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  3. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I don't think the angels will eat those fish... they eat stuff like neon and cardinal tetras because they are small enough and the shape fits.

Personally, I do 50-60% wc every week. Yes, it is possible to overclean the tank, but you are far away from that. I'm not sure I would be getting advice from that LFS worker anymore...

4. Khory4611New MemberMember

Sounds good. He is small right now so I'll wait and see. Hopefully there are no problems with the Danios later. They ate fast so I hope they will be ok.

I thought so on the water changes. I will stick to the weekly regimen I currently have. I am at my limit for fish I know- a tad heavy. But I keep up on the water so it's been ok for a long while now. It's fun to fiddle with the tank now and then:)

5. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I really doubt there is any danger to any of your fish from an Angel. Otos stay mostly out of sight & Danios are too fast so either of those would have to be extremely unlucky to get munched. Guppies are too big when they are adults for Angels to bother with & Corys are too big, armour plated & perfectly compatible with Angels. Corys are really hard for fish to eat & Angels have a hard time chasing moving prey on the bottom of a tank.

Good advice above on the water changes. I would go with the larger changes Meenu recommended.

6. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

as they get larger, they're going to produce more waste. keep an eye on the parameters - you'll probably need to do larger changes eventually

7. Khory4611New MemberMember

Thanks for the great advice. I am an obsessive tester so I watch the water closely. I will up the water change amounts in the mean time:)

8. pepetjWell Known MemberMember

Once a tank if mature, you could probably go a full month without the meed of water changes, just performing top-off. However as a rule of thumb there's no such thing as too-clean water column. Exceptions to this rule would be blackwater and stagnant systems.

Your Angelfish could be OK as well as everybody else. A 46gal tank should be able to hold (both space and biological filtration wise) a pair of Angelfish with your actual stocking. However I think you should consider raising the number of Otocinclus to at least 5.

The schools of Zebra Danios and Fancy Guppies concern me a bit since both species could go after nipping the Angelfish. Individual differences apply to shoals of fish as much as they do to individual specimens. Maybe your Zebra Danios and your Fancy Guppies get along with everybody without problems.

I would encourage the Angelfish to claim territory towards an end of the tank (away from the filter since they rather have somewhat calm tanks, more so if spawning). You could do that by planting long leaf plants in that area (like Swords). Provide cover for the smaller fish. Paired-off Angelfish usually protect a not too large territory (based on the behavior of three paired-off Angelfish I kept in a 24"L 26bow, a 30"L 30Breeder, 72"L 145gal tanks I would say that it's around 14"x14" within the low-end-iddle to the upper level of the tank)

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  9. Khory4611New MemberMember

You really think I have room for another angel and 3 more Otocinclus? I was worried about getting too crowded.. Especially when the angels are adults.

I have yet to see nipping but I am definitely watching. So far so good:;hf

10. pepetjWell Known MemberMember

You have one of the (if not the) best external canister filters in the market. I don't see why not. I kept for over a year and a half in a bow26 tank a pair of Angelfish with 10 Panda + 4 Imitator + 12 Kuhli Loaches + 7 Yellow Nose Shrimp + Apple Snails.

I don't see why not.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

11. NejiValued MemberMember

WOW!!! 50-60% each week? I only do a 25% each week! I bet your fishes are very strong and healthy :)

12. NejiValued MemberMember

I have raised angels for more than 6 years, and none of my angels ate my small tetras. Well only when the angels are small :) They will eat anything that will fit in their mouths which isn't much :) Also, live plants and wood have prove to be a good hiding spot for small tetras :) Also, angels might chase the gouramis sometimes, but usually angels aren't aggressive unless they are mating or if you put in new fishes into a tank full of angels. Since angels like any other cichlid are very territorial and will chase other new fishes around.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice