Compatible?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by StarGirl2, Mar 20, 2010.

1. S

StarGirl2 New Member Member

I'm planning on a 55 gal tank or a bit more. I would like to keep about 5 or 6 Guppies, a few Endler's Livebearers, a Kuhli Loach and my old guy a Myer's Cory Cat. If i don't get some Endler's, do you think an Angel fish would be a bad idea with the guppies?

2. c

click Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome to fishlore. Angels and guppies will get along just fine. For guppies remember the rule is 2 females for every male, or if you don't want any fry, you can get only males.

3. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

also take into account that kuhli loaches and corys like to be in groups. So I would put making their groupss larger before getting an angel.

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore StarGirl. :;hi2

Good advise above from Click & Platy Ben. You should aim for a minimum of 4 each of the Coys & the Kuhlis. With both species it's the more the merrier, within stocking limits of course.

5. R

Rhan Well Known Member Member

Just one thing with the guppies and Endlers being together, keep in mind you're going to end up with fry if you have females. The only slight issue I foresee is the interbreeding of the endlers and guppies. Endlers are thought to be extinct, or at least almost extinct in the wild. They are not quite yet cemented in the aquarium trade yet, there aren't all that many around compared to guppies. Once they interbreed with guppies, the offspring are no longer endlers (even if they happen to look exactly like endlers). While the Endler numbers are still fragile, I personally believe it's best for people to avoid this interbreeding, at least for now. What you choose to do is completely up to you, I'm just merely putting in my two cents worth :)

Since I got my endler boys, I've fallen in love with them, and I get a bit passionate about the issue of keeping them with guppies where they can interbreed. I guess a comprise would be getting a few males of each.

As for the rest of your stocking, I agree with the above postings, cories and kuhlis love groups, and they are much more entertaining in groups too, most people say :) I don't have any experience with Angels, so I can't really help there.

Oh, and Kudos to you for doing research prior to stocking the tank :)

6. OP
    OP
    S

StarGirl2 New Member Member

Thanks for all the replies! and for the welcome!

The cory that i have right now is in his own 5 gal tank right now that's why he's alone. I had already thought about getting him some more buddies, so i think i might go that way. And for the Guppies and Endler's i am definutly NOT ready to try breeding yet haha so i would get only one sex. I read about how the multiply like bunnies! Not for me.

I think i will keep about 4 cories, 4 kuhlies, 5 or 6 guppies and i'll go from there. That's assuming i can even find some Kuhlies though, the stores where i live don't have a great variety.
    Anyways, thanks for the advice everyone!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice