29 Gallon Tank Compatible tetras with an angel?

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello, my mom loved neon tetras, but someone said that they would get eaten by the Angelfish. I presume it is because of their size. So, what would be some compatible tetras? Thanks!

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe that any fish would eat anything that's smaller than their mouth. That being said, a full grown Angel is able to eat a juvy tetra or nip on a full grown tetra. But members have had success keeping Angels with tetras. I've been told that they introduce their school of tetras in the tank first then get their Angel(s) the last, and they get them when they're still juveniles. Hope my info helped. Best of luck!

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Congo tetras will do i guess. I don't have angels but i do have congos and they are fast, they get like 4" long and bulky, and they are gorgeous fish. So i reckon Congos will be a good option

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello,whoever said that is right.I keep silver tip tetras and black skirt tetras with my angelfish.I learnded my lesson with the neon tetras.They were eaten by the angelfish in around 24 hours.I have not had any problems so I would say those are compatible tetras.Try to get tetras that are 2 1/2 through 3 inches.Some suggestions would be buenos aires tetras,bleeding heart tetras,or maybe some colombian tetras.

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have any problems with the tetras nipping the angel?

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have had my angels and tetras together for around 2 years now and I have had no problem with fin nipping.

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm...Now i'm in a pickle. The fishlore profiles say that black skirt tetras shouldn't be with angels.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmm...Now i'm in a pickle. The fishlore profiles say that black skirt tetras shouldn't be with angels.
That's one of the most frustrating things, the conflicting info. I'm sure another site would say it's ok, and obviously some members have done it with no problems. What I've learned to do is kind of average out everything I've read and then ask a specific question here, like "Is xyz fish compatible with abc fish?". I've found that's the best way to get an answer because you'll get answers from people who have actually had the combination.

As I've never had angels and only had black phantom tetras for a few days, I can't say if they work together.

-Lisa

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have 2 black skirt tetras with my 3 angelfish.I have had no problems.It's funny because the black skirt tetras actually swim with the angelfish!

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow! Since you don't have a school of black skirts, I am very surprised they haven't nipped. How long have you had them together?

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow! That may be why then. They grew up together I assume?

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you really like the looks of the neons you can get cardinal tetras. They usually grow to about 2 inches and most times they survive better with angels. The neons usually only grow to about 1.5 inches.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
I've not had any problems keeping Black Neon Tetra with Angels as they are close to 2 inches. Cardinal Tetras would be a good alternative to the Neon Tetras as they have the same coloring.

I have had a school of Black Skirt Tetras in my 90 gallon tank for a few months and recently added Angels. As my tank is understocked and has many hiding places, I've never noticed any issues. Although I will most likely get rid of my Black Skirts at some point as they are starting to become aggressive amongst themselves.

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks a lot everybody! Very helpful!

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It came down to harlequin rasboras and white cloud mountain minnows. She picked white clouds. When we were pouring them into the net, my mom accidentally missed and some fish fell into the sink (2 of them). Luckily they didn't go down the drain. 2 of them weren't very active, (probably those 2) but they are swimming around today!

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've had tetras (neons and others) with angel fish, no problems......until the angels paired off and decided to breed. That was 2 pairs in a 55, spawning at each end. The neons slowly disappeared each night!!! Until the spawning pairing situation came up, I never had a problem, this was only the normal cichlid spawning, territory protection. So as your angels mature, if they start pairing off, problems can and will probably develope.

hyun007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had tetras (neons and others) with angel fish, no problems......until the angels paired off and decided to breed. That was 2 pairs in a 55, spawning at each end. The neons slowly disappeared each night!!! Until the spawning pairing situation came up, I never had a problem, this was only the normal cichlid spawning, territory protection. So as your angels mature, if they start pairing off, problems can and will probably develope.

Now I am very worry.
Just added 32 Tetras(6 diamond head, 16 neon and 10 cardinal) yesterday.
No quarantine as the older fish are all healthy and the tetra were quarantined by the seller who I know.

When I was shining my torch in yesterday evening to see how the tetras were doing, I saw baby fry swimming around the angelfish.

I did have 2 casualty this morning, 1 neon and 1 cardinal but I am taking the benefit of doubts(stress death) as I have them in the bag for more than 24 hours due to transportation issue.

The tetras are now schooling together which is very nice but I am worrying about the angelfish killing them as those tetra are not cheap.

I might take the angelfish out if they grow any larger.
Currently, they are about 3inches.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom