55 Gallon Tank Compatible tank mates for tiger barb school

Krish Sridar

I have a 55-gallon tank with 12 tiger barbs ( ). Looking to possibly add a couple more fish. Anything that would really make the tank pop? I was thinking about adding a bn pleco as well to combat the stuff off the driftwood.

Kribensis27

Various large-bodied tetras would do well with them. You can get lots of different colors that way. There are also a lot of other barbs that would look cool there too. Loaches will do well with them, as will danios. I’ve also kept platies and other live bearers with them fairly successfully. Just make sure whatever you put with them moves fast and has short fins.

Basil

I have my tiger barbs (19 of them) in a 75 g with Queen loaches and a flying fox. A group of the smaller loaches such as Botia striata (zebra loach) or Botia kubotai could work. Or another group of barbs. Or you could just add a few more tigers of various colors. I have regular, gold/albino, green, and platinum green. Another possibility is a rainbow or red tailed black shark.
I would also add more plants. That helps keep down aggression and they absolutely love swimming among the plants.
I applaud you for keeping your tiger barbs in a large tank. They do so well in more space.

ForceTen

I have 12 almost full grown Tigers in my 40. Nothing else.
I was under the impression they did not do well with tank mates? I want to add a couple more fish myself but was always told not to.
So you guys stand behind the recommendations above?
Thanks in Advance

Basil

ForceTen said:
I was under the impression they did not do well with tank mates? I want to add a couple more fish myself but was always told not to.
Thanks in Advance
I’ve personally kept tiger barbs with a red tailed shark, Queen loaches, and gold barbs. I briefly (6 months) kept them with scissortail rasboras. No issues.
However, I think every tank is different so what may work in one tank may not work in another. Do you have a 40 breeder? That’s a decent footprint so I would think one of the smaller Botia loaches would be fine. Or a group of dwarf chain loaches. I wouldn’t keep one of the sharks as they tend to need more room.

Kribensis27

ForceTen said:
Thanks in Advance
They actually do fine with tank mates. They can be aggressive, so it’s not best to keep them with anything slow moving or long-finned, but other small, fast moving fish do great with them. I keep mine in a 55 with some serpae tetras and they love to play with each other.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom