Compatible Shrimp....breeding Question

1. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

So I got my son three fire red cherry shrimp yesterday, and I think one came berried

Now, he's all excited and planning his breeding program lol. He's interested in cherry shrimp and crystal shrimp. His current three are in a split 5gallons with a sponge filter and a Betta on the other side....now there's talk of a dedicated shrimp tank

Would I be best to split the dedicated shrimp tank to maintain separate breeds? How often should "new blood " be added to his gene pool? I'm not worried about overpopulation, as I do have a 38 gallon tank housing my sorority where I can move overstock, and he plans to sell them for $1each when he has enough to offer them in batches of 20.

First things first though....he has a male and two females, one we think is berried. Its a small starting stock, as I didn't count on his enthusiasm lol. I meant them as a cool gift because he loves shrimp [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The more often you add "new blood" the better. I would aim for at least every 6 months to keep the shrimplets healthy but you could go longer if you had a larger colony.

3. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Thanks

I count only two eggs on the berried female we bought yesterday....so either she's young or she dropped out of stress from the move. The question now is whether she carries to term. The second female is not bred, but we have a male so they can do things in their own time

He wants to focus on "fire red" for the cherries, and has decided to buy only from the best stock he can find

The crystal shrimp I can get at big Als, and I hope to swap some juvenile towards the cost.....$7.99 each adds quickly lol

4. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Crystals are beautiful but they require pretty much remineralized RO water (unless your tap is very soft and very low TDS), low 70s temperature (meaning a tank cooler if your ambient temperature goes into the upper 70s), and an acidic ph usually achieved by using buffered substrate. If you can do this, go for it, but if not I'd wait until you've had the cherries for a while before investing in more expensive shrimp and equipment.

5. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

ph is 7.5

What do you mean by buffered substrate? I can get r/o for a single tank, but yes....research is in order before allowing crystals

They sound like they're going to need a dedicated tank

6. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

I am starting a dedicated Planted Shrimp tank. With the research I have done and the help from some members. I am starting with Red Cherry Shrimp first and hopefully progress to the more expensive varieties. Need to be careful when mixing types. Thanks @Stephen Hiatt @-Mak- and others

7. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

I would not advise crystals for a beginner. They are very delicate shrimp. A buffered substrate changes the pH of your tank. I use fluval statrum, and in combination with co2 my pH is 6.4. They also require a established tank, and as @-Mak- stated earlier, very precise water parameters. Low TDS, nitrates below 20, water must have minerals, etc...

Your shrimp appear to be either sakura red cherries, which could easily sell for $2-3 each.

8. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

They certainly prefer dedicated tanks, it is possible to keep caridina crystals/bees with neocaridina, but one or the other will be out of their comfort zone. Buffered substrates are soils commonly used for planted tanks and lower the acidity to about 6.0 - 6.5, such as ADA soils

9. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

Fluval Statrum is another good one.

10. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Ok, thanks

It looks like he went cherry for a good start.....behold the spoils of a boys first summer job 6406fedc132d7510bd565eefef3d0c6f.jpg

The first thing he did after getting paid was buy shrimp, then ended the day buying more when he had money leftover