Compatible rocks

1. ghost22 Initiate Member

I want to rock scape for my cichlids but I'm wondering do I have to buy them from the pet store? If not what kind of rocks can I use, and what kind of prep do o need to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

This is my set up

They seem happy but I want to start gathering my rocks

Attached Files:

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Are there particular rocks you were considering...?

3. ghost22 Initiate Member

Not really just wondering if there are some I should look for and some I should stay away from

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I can't really say if there is a particular kind better for cichlids than another, but the more fish sized cavities the better. You can always construct your own, but you need to be sure the stones are firmly secured together. I will bind stones with aquarium silicone sometimes.

5. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

You can get some sandstone from Home Depot. I've seen people use them in their cichlid tanks. Just rinse them and give them a good scrub.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. ghost22 Initiate Member

is concrete or cement okay

7. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I think so. But concrete will raise your ph really high so you will need to do water changes to lower it

8. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Have you looked at lowes or a landscaping store?

9. lorianne621 Member Member

I bought some recently at garden supply store. I intend to put them in my quarantine tank once it is empty. I will have to rotate them through in groups because I bought quite a few of them. I will then monitor the water and see if the rocks change the water parameters in any way.

If after a week or two the water is still stable then I will move them to any tank I want... If by chance one of the rocks effects the parameters... then comes the fun part of finding out which one. lol

I would just put it out in the garden and keep looking through the others for nice specimens.

I also will try to keep rocks of similar content the same... then I shouldn't have too much trouble identifying a culprit if one is altering water parameters... just my thoughts...

Also, I have no idea what I bought... I just know they were river rock, they were pretty and they were not very big, mostly potato sized to 6", some round some flat, etc... I paid 11 cents a pound.

Good luck.

10. Anita Vidgen Member Member

I use lava rock, I bought it from a garden supply place. A bag ( good size ), was $16. I made caves out of mine, but you can do lots of different things.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum