Compatible fish with blue dream shrimp

1. renegadefish Member Member

So I just started a 10g shrimp tank. Used a seeded sponge filter from my 20g and water from the fully cycled 20g as well. Added 5 blue dream shrimp and they seem to be doing fine. Woke up this morning and can only find 2-3 of them but I assume they hiding out. So my main question is... Are 5 shrimps enough to keep my cycle going from the sponge filter? Or should I add a few small fish to help it along? I do want these shrimp to breed so I was thinking of some nano fish like chili Rasporas so they don't go after the shrimps. So will the shrimps be enough?

Here's my tank
    [​IMG]

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Your tank looks lovely :)
    Shrimp have such a tiny bioload I doubt you have enough to keep the cycle going.
    If you want to add fish then I'd get them sooner rather than later, the chilli rasboras would be good & wouldn't bother your shrimp.

3. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

It won't hold a cycle with such a small amount of shrimp. I have a 5g tank with 5-7 RCS and it couldn't hold a cycle. I just keep adding more until it holds I believe I have around 12-15 now with 2 berried.

4. renegadefish Member Member

Thanks everyone! Ended up getting 10 exclamation point Rasporas! They seem like they getting acquainted. Woke this morning and could only find 2 of my shrimp. Last night I saw 4. Haven't seen all 5 yet for awhile. Hope they just hiding out. Love these little Rasporas they ate sweet! Thanks for the info everyone.

5. cheese Member Member

I had a hard time finding my shrimp for the longest time...I lifted up my log and there they all were! I had read that they can dig in sand but I didn't know they dug in gravel too lol somehow they got under my ornaments lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app