Compatible fish with blue dream shrimp

1. renegadefish Member Member

So I just started a 10g shrimp tank. Used a seeded sponge filter from my 20g and water from the fully cycled 20g as well. Added 5 blue dream shrimp and they seem to be doing fine. Woke up this morning and can only find 2-3 of them but I assume they hiding out. So my main question is... Are 5 shrimps enough to keep my cycle going from the sponge filter? Or should I add a few small fish to help it along? I do want these shrimp to breed so I was thinking of some nano fish like chili Rasporas so they don't go after the shrimps. So will the shrimps be enough?

Here's my tank
  2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Your tank looks lovely :)
    Shrimp have such a tiny bioload I doubt you have enough to keep the cycle going.
    If you want to add fish then I'd get them sooner rather than later, the chilli rasboras would be good & wouldn't bother your shrimp.

3. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

It won't hold a cycle with such a small amount of shrimp. I have a 5g tank with 5-7 RCS and it couldn't hold a cycle. I just keep adding more until it holds I believe I have around 12-15 now with 2 berried.
  4. renegadefish Member Member

Thanks everyone! Ended up getting 10 exclamation point Rasporas! They seem like they getting acquainted. Woke this morning and could only find 2 of my shrimp. Last night I saw 4. Haven't seen all 5 yet for awhile. Hope they just hiding out. Love these little Rasporas they ate sweet! Thanks for the info everyone.

5. cheese Member Member

I had a hard time finding my shrimp for the longest time...I lifted up my log and there they all were! I had read that they can dig in sand but I didn't know they dug in gravel too lol somehow they got under my ornaments lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app