Compatible Betta Tankmates?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Vortexed, Apr 23, 2017.

1. VortexedValued MemberMember

I got a double tail male betta. Very cool looking fish, but I wanna know what tank mates I can keep with him.

I got a 20 gallon and I wish to put the betta in it so he can be happiest. So, would the following hurt the betta?

Swordtail

Molly

Neon tetra

2. andychrissytankValued MemberMember

a male swordtail probably won't work because he will see that tail and it's on
    mollies could work but it depends on their finnage and color, because I know some dalmatians that ahve some pretty flowing fins
    neon tetras might work if there are enough hiding spots and safety in numbers
    but all of their individual personalities play a factor because the betta could either ignore them or go to town and vice versa nipping his tail

3. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't be surprised if a molly or swordtail nipped a betta. I don't think either would get along well with a betta.

Neons need cooler water than bettas.

4. VortexedValued MemberMember

Well.. I have a picture of my betta and my fish tank and its hiding placing. I have 6 neons, so a full school. FishTankMakeover.jpgAlpha.jpg

5. andychrissytankValued MemberMember

I'm actually more worried about the other fish getting a little nippy with this nice looking betta lol
    if you have time you can introduce him and monitor them to see if it will work out because there isn't really a set protocol other than moving some stuff around and every experience varies by fish temperament :]

6. VortexedValued MemberMember

I could try to do that, however Im gonna need to ask my dad again.. and he probably wont agree and say "OH ITS FINE IN THE CURRENT TANK, STOP TALKING ABOUT FISH ALL THE TIME"... he wouldnt actually cuss at me but he might get annoyed xD

Fun fact: I named my betta: Alpha <3

7. Sakanať≠öWell Known MemberMember

I personally wouldn't house a fancy finned betta with mollies, they are very nippy(spesh when it comes to food little pigs lol).
    Most people say not to house bettas with anything. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Just make sure u have a back up plan if things go wrong. A hospital tank if someone gets hurt and a separate tank for the betta if he bullies or gets bullied.

8. VortexedValued MemberMember

My betta is already in a small tank.

9. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

The best things to keep with them are bottom dwellers like kuhli loaches or temp-compatible cories. Is it a 20 long or high?

10. VortexedValued MemberMember

Can I put my Double Tail betta (male) in a 20 gallon with:

1x molly

1x swordtail

6x neon tetra

A picture of the tank FishTankMakeover.jpg
    Picture of the betta Alpha.jpg

11. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

I would go with no, his coloring and slower moving (issue with flow or heavy fins) may make him a target to the molly or sword. Bettas are also not temp compatible with neons, he likely won't get attacked by then but they like cooler temps than most other tropical fish.
    He may also end up tearing his find completely up with fake or plastics plants of they haven't passed the pantyhose test.

Very nice tank though I hope this helps.

12. KasshanWell Known MemberMember

replace those fake plant with java moss, hornwort(loves light btw), and java fern etc, relatively easy live plants and very beneficial. i had a fancy betta i named Phantom that lived in the tangles of java moss and fern etc for 4 years in my busy community tank.

13. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

No. Neons need cooler temps, and would be a bad idea with swordtails and mollies.

14. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

I had a swordtail and a betta.. and the swordtail tried to nip the betta's tail. The betta got mad turned around and bit the swordtail's top fin.. he teared it.

Fortunately it healed fast.

BUT each time to betta got grumpy and told the others to back off the swordtail acted like a police going in front of the betta and going "fight me instead"

I would not do that again.
    ((Unfortunately all fish mentionned here died when i lost my cycle and had an ammonia spike))

15. Axolittle1New MemberMember

Two male mollies and two male swordtails would be best. Just make sure they are different colors than him. You want him to have a lot of space to himself. If you don't already, make sure you have a lot of plants (fake or real) for him to hide in if he gets picked on.

16. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Mollies and swordtails should be kept in bigger tanks anyway, so I wouldn't go with them.

17. saketValued MemberMember

to be true i would not recomend you to put tetras or molly with your betta. i made that mistake and trust me it was a bad nightmare. they picked on the betta nipped at his tails amd fins and he got in a pretty bad shape i had to shift him to a 2.5 gallon tank for his safety. now he has has his 8 gallon alone and doing good. you could add snails or loaches they will work. as long as the betta decides that will they live or die. good luck with your decision.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice