Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by aBettaNamedRoy, Apr 18, 2018.

1. aBettaNamedRoy

aBettaNamedRoyValued MemberMember

I'm very excited that my mom asked me to build her a community tank for the family living room. I'm planning on having a planted, filtered, and heated 29 gallon aquarium.
    For fish I am thinking about adding four dwarf gouramis, six neon tetras, and maybe a snail or some shrimp depending on the "prey drive" of the individual fish. :) I calculated the compatibility using an aquarium advisor site, and it said that the tank would be okay. Just wanted to verify that I wouldn't be overstocking, and that the fish would be compatible. Thanks!

2. Frozen One

Frozen OneValued MemberMember

Hey BNR, I think that sounds great! I would put more of the tetras in the tank since it will be for many people to see. If you want to stay at 6 that’s okay too!

Also very happy for you, it’s always exciting when other people positively get involved in your hobby :)

3. OP
    OP
    aBettaNamedRoy

aBettaNamedRoyValued MemberMember

Awesome! Thanks for the input @Jake21!

4. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

Awesome and excited for you!
    BTW what temp are you aiming so we can confirm the stocking options?

5. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

Awesome!
    It is always great to start a new tank and plan every detail of it.

Regarding the 4 Dwarf Gouramis, I think that's could and most likely will be an issue. I had 2 in my 46g at one point and they kept chasing each other.

I think honey gouramis would be better in agroup, but I am no expert.

Good luck

6. jaymethyValued MemberMember

I've heard people with similar issues the DG, but I kept 3 males in a 10 gallon (before I realized this was overstocked) and had no aggression issues. So I think it's a bit of a gamble. But honeys are a bit of a more guaranteed safe option.

7. Puck44

Puck44Valued MemberMember

True! I would go with honeys instead.:)

Also you could up the neons!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2018
  8. Discus-Tang

Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

Actually in a group of four they won't attack each other. They don't know who to fight

9. Nataku

NatakuWell Known MemberMember

I wpuld not put 4 dwarfs together unless you miraculously managed to find three females (the pet stores rarely carry them amd they are much less pretty than the males).
    Instead how about honey gourami?
    In a 29 you could do
    5x honey gourami
    12x neon tetra
    6x peppered corydoras
    Plus shrimp and/or some snails.

10. Discus-Tang

About the neons.

Cardinal tetras look almost exactly like neons, just a bigger red spot. They are also a little bigger. They are WAY tougher than neons, you may want to consider them.

11. Tripp_theBetta

Tripp_theBettaNew MemberMember

I just recently did the same thing!! I ended up having to move one of my two Gouramis to his own tank unfortunately because he was constantly terrorising his tank mates and his other Dwarf friend, if you want a super compatible fish I recomend loaches, I have a few and they're the most friendly and intercative fish I've had when it comes to both humans and tank mates.

12. Discus-Tang

Yes, but not many species of loaches fit in a 29. Kuhlis are quite shy anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice