Compatibility

jruko

Reaction score
I created this thread to answer and ask questions for compatibility of fish in a 100 gallon enviornment. I have a 100 gallon tank, adequately filtered including uv filtering, cycled, and all chemical levels are quite perfect. temperature holds a perfect 74 to 76 degrees F. I am stocking 2 angelfish (Seem to be paired and go everywhere together), 5 Bala sharks, 3 Tiger Barbs, 2 Redtail sharks and one rainbow shark. Plenty of live plants, rocks and hiding places. Here are my questions. Why is my rainbow shark constantly being chased by one of the Red tail shark? Also, is there any other concerns about my current configuration of fish?

AquaticBrandon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to Fishlore!
the Bala Sharks will probably outgrow your tank. They get pretty big. Also your rainbow shark is getting chased by the other red tailed shark because they don't do well with other "sharks" I would rehome them and only have one red tailed shark. I would rehome the balas also

OP
J

jruko

Reaction score
Thanks. Typically how long until my Balas are full grown?

MtnTiger

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Redtails and Rainbow sharks just don't get along. It's just one of those things.

OP
J

jruko

Reaction score
where I messed up was mixing the redtail and rainbow. the rainbow is a bit larger, and always chased the ret tail. so I added another red tail in hopes that he would leave him alone if out numbered. I don't want to take any fish back, they are all beautiful, more though the fact that I gave them a nice home and don't want to take that back from them. my hopes are finding perfect harmony in numbers, tank size and territory

at the store they told me my ballas would grow up to 4 inches. I know differently now. that's okay. I will get as big a tank as needed as they grow

OP
J

jruko

Reaction score
my next upgrade will be a 300 or more

ricmcc

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jruko said:
where I messed up was mixing the redtail and rainbow. the rainbow is a bit larger, and always chased the ret tail. so I added another red tail in hopes that he would leave him alone if out numbered. I don't want to take any fish back, they are all beautiful, more though the fact that I gave them a nice home and don't want to take that back from them. my hopes are finding perfect harmony in numbers, tank size and territory
I believe that Red tail sharks are rather notorious for becoming increasingly aggressive as they age, even to the point where they do not get on well with with any fish that generally occupies the bottom third of the tank.
I think that 3 Tiger barbs are too few to curb their sometimes aggressive nature, especially fin nipping, ; actually, I question whether they should ever be maintained with angels at all..
A larger school of tiger barbs will usually help with their aggression. Best to you, rick

BTW, if you insist on keeping all the fish that you currently have, and at sufficient numbers for the schooling ones, you are going to need a much lager tank; I would go with proper stocking, rather than what looks nice, although if you want balas, think in terms of at a 72 inch tank of about 180g. Sorry.

OP
J

jruko

Reaction score
thanks for the insight bro. I'm going to take back the two red tails and get a few more barbs to calm them down. they already hang out in their own reflections thinking they are in a bigger school. lol

SuzanaBanana

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I only have 1 bala shark (and I know they are schooling fish) but it deffinately depends on the fish. He is very outgoingg and independent and does just fine on his own

Megg01

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SuzanaBanana said:
I only have 1 bala shark (and I know they are schooling fish) but it deffinately depends on the fish. He is very outgoingg and independent and does just fine on his own
This post is a year old, and balas need schools of 6+, and 180 gallon+ tanks.

New Threads