Compatibility

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jruko, Jul 6, 2015.

1. j

jruko New Member Member

I created this thread to answer and ask questions for compatibility of fish in a 100 gallon enviornment. I have a 100 gallon tank, adequately filtered including uv filtering, cycled, and all chemical levels are quite perfect. temperature holds a perfect 74 to 76 degrees F. I am stocking 2 angel fish (Seem to be paired and go everywhere together), 5 Bala sharks, 3 Tiger Barbs, 2 Redtail sharks and one rainbow shark. Plenty of live plants, rocks and hiding places. Here are my questions. Why is my rainbow shark constantly being chased by one of the Red tail shark? Also, is there any other concerns about my current configuration of fish?

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    the Bala Sharks will probably outgrow your tank. They get pretty big. Also your rainbow shark is getting chased by the other red tailed shark because they don't do well with other "sharks" I would rehome them and only have one red tailed shark. I would rehome the balas also

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

Thanks. Typically how long until my Balas are full grown?

4. AquaticBrandon

I'm not sure on that sorry. But bala Sharks can grow up to 13 inches

5. Aloeb1

Aloeb1 Valued Member Member

I think 100 gallons is enough for bala sharks.

6. AquaticBrandon

100 gallons won't be enough. They get pretty big and need a large tank
    https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-BalaShark.htm

7. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Balas also need to be in groups of at least 6, I believe. So that's 6 12+ inch fish you're dealing with.

8. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

Redtails and Rainbow sharks just don't get along. It's just one of those things.

9. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

where i messed up was mixing the redtail and rainbow. the rainbow is a bit larger, and always chased the ret tail. so i added another red tail in hopes that he would leave him alone if out numbered. i dont want to take any fish back, they are all beautiful, more though the fact that i gave them a nice home and dont want to take that back from them. my hopes are finding perfect harmony in numbers, tank size and territory

Sent from my LGMS323 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

at the store they told me my ballas would grow up to 4 inches. i know differently now. thats okay. i will get as big a tank as needed as they grow

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  10. AquaticBrandon

They will probably need a 180 gallon tank. Probably bigger

11. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

my next upgrade will be a 300 or more

12. AquaticBrandon

That should be good

13. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I believe that Red tail sharks are rather notorious for becoming increasingly aggressive as they age, even to the point where they do not get on well with with any fish that generally occupies the bottom third of the tank.
    I think that 3 Tiger barbs are too few to curb their sometimes aggressive nature, especially fin nipping, ; actually, I question whether they should ever be maintained with angels at all..
    A larger school of tiger barbs will usually help with their aggression. Best to you, rick

BTW, if you insist on keeping all the fish that you currently have, and at sufficient numbers for the schooling ones, you are going to need a much lager tank; I would go with proper stocking, rather than what looks nice:), although if you want balas, think in terms of at a 72 inch tank of about 180g. Sorry.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  14. OP
    OP
    j

jruko New Member Member

thanks for the insight bro. im going to take back the two red tails and get a few more barbs to calm them down. they already hang out in thier own reflections thinking they are in a bigger school. lol

15. SuzanaBanana

SuzanaBanana Valued Member Member

I only have 1 bala shark (and i know they are schooling fish) but it deffinately depends on the fish. He is very outgoingg and independent and does just fine on his own

16. Megg01

Megg01 Well Known Member Member

This post is a year old, and balas need schools of 6+, and 180 gallon+ tanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice