Compatibility

1. Fishboy123 Member Member

If I had a pair of German blue rams in a 29 gallon cube, what fish can go with them? I was thinking tetras and maybe a BN pleco. Also, if the rams breed will this bother the other fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

The only thing I ask is what are your fish keeping habits? Are you relatively new to fish keeping or have experience?

German Blue Rams are more sensitive and they are difficult fish to keep. They need pristine water, a stable PH of about 6.0-7.0 with soft to medium water, and the tank HAS to be cycled and SHOULD be well established before adding them to any tank.

As far as stock with other fish, just be sure to have a decent sized school of tetras, I'd recommend Neon tetras as their water parameters are the same (avoid sarape tetras or any fin nippers). If you can find them I'd recommend a Longfin BN Pleco over a regular BN. They look amazing and mine seems to be more active in the day time then my regular BN.

3. Fishboy123 Member Member

I am relatively new but my 10 gallon planted tank has been up and running for 6 months and I am confident that I'm ready for another tank

4. WiFi Well Known Member Member

I'd say go for it! Just make sure you cycle the tank, add the tetra's, wait a couple weeks, add the pleco, wait a couple weeks, and then Last I'd add your GBR!

5. Fishboy123 Member Member

Ok but I'm still thinking about shell dwellers but this is a good option!

6. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Yes yes, I would research which is more adaptable to your tap water conditions and really go from there.

7. Fishboy123 Member Member

Also I have a question, do I have to have plants with a german blue ram because I really love the amazon wood look

8. WiFi Well Known Member Member

You really don't HAVE to, but they really do like a few Densely planted area's in the tank, maybe a couple caves for them, along with some open swimming room.

9. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

If you wanna go amazon wood route if say make some caves and add some type of anubia or java fern on the wood at some places.