compatibility

griffin

anyone have experience with shrimp and neon tetras?

atmmachine816

Should leave them alone, can always try ghost shrimp first. Bamboo shrimp though will be fine, if my angels leave them alone, there's no reason your neon's shouldn't. Bamboo shrimp get 2-3" and filter feed.

griffin

hmm - I was more wondering about cherry shrimp.

unfortunately, can't seem to find any ghost shrimp here lately.

also, it would be a heavily planted tank, so I add ferts. would that pretty much kill off the shrimp? just thought of that :/

atmmachine816

They shouldn't be harmed, especially in a planted tank. Most people have neons in planted and shrimp. If the ferts don't contain copper and don't say they should harm inverts they should be fine. What type do you use? I use tetra flora pride and I have a bamboo shrimp and he's fine.

griffin

I actually use greg watsons - so i'm kinda mixing my own ferts. the trace does contain some copper tho.

atmmachine816

Copper kills inverts, though if it's in a small enough amount they may be able to live, could shorten life span depending how much or may not if small. It's your call, I wouldn't add them if you using some copper.

griffin

hmm - I guess I'll hold off until I have space for yet ANOTHER tank :/

atmmachine816

griffin said:
hmm - I guess I'll hold off until I have space for yet ANOTHER tank :/
Good excuse

griffin

now if I could only break the law of conservation of space.....

atmmachine816

metal tank stands, one on top, one on bottom

Tom

atmmachine said:
Copper kills inverts, though if it's in a small enough amount they may be able to live, could shorten life span depending how much or may not if small. It's your call, I wouldn't add them if you using some copper.
So what does copper do to the fish? The copper would also kill snails? The last time I checked they were inverts.
Tom

atmmachine816

Tom said:
atmmachine said:
So what does copper do to the fish? The copper would also kill snails? The last time I checked they were inverts.
Tom
I believe copper sort of boosts fish's immune system but kills inverts and I think copper kills some bad things in the water, might want to google it for sure though. I just know some stores add copper to saltwater tanks.

Tom

atmmachine said:
Tom said:
atmmachine said:
Tom
I believe copper sort of boosts fish's immune system but kills inverts and I think copper kills some bad things in the water, might want to google it for sure though. I just know some stores add copper to saltwater tanks.
I will also check with some fish store owners and also ask Dino if he has heard of it. Sorry to sort-of hyjack your post Griffin.
Tom

griffin

Tom said:
Tom
i'm pretty sure low levels of Cu are needed, but go any higher, and it becomes lethal. I guess inverts just have a much lower tolerance for Cu than fish?

Latest threads

Top Bottom