Compatibility with cichlids and oddball fish

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So right now what I have is a flowerhorn (unknown m/f) and an endlicheri bichir. I don't know how long my Asian bumble bee cat will be safe (same size as the bichir right now so not eatable) but he will stick around for awhile. Definitely have to have a jack Dempsey (electric blue probably) and most likely getting a pair of red spotted severum. I also fell in love with datnoids. All these fish are going to be the same size when I get them I'm gonna watch hunger levels and all that (I've got a buddy who specializes in monster fish) and I'm going to put all this in a 150. Dimensions 5'x2'x2'
How compatible do these guys sound? Is there enough space for everyone to have their own territory? Is there a fish in that list that is going to be an immediate problem? (I'm sure that bichir will get too big for the tank at some point but with my networking he's gonna be fine)

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was told Mid-water schooling fish are great tankmates for bumblebee catfish and cichlids with a peaceful demeanor can share the same tank.IMO Good idea to avoid cichlids.
I'll probably rehome the bumblebee cat, then. My focus is on the South American cichlids and some oddball fish so it sounds like she won't do well if I keep her in there.

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Flowerhorn will be a problem. Endlis can take down surprisingly large food items but tend to get fat and lazy. Ebjd will probably not survive with those tankmates. What size are your catfish and bicher now?

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't keep a datnoind with a cichlid in that size of tank. Dats are more agressive. It might work, or might not. Either way you would need a silver dat to fit in that tank. All the others get too big.

I agree with slayer5590 about the endli. That size of tank would make a nice species tank for bichirs. Keeping other fish with just the one could be a mistake.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Perhaps another bichir instead of the datnoid then. What are some cool South American cichlids I could put in there to make a good variety? I definitely need a jack Dempsey in there, and my friend wants to give me his red spotted severum. And I have that flowerhorn right now(or whatever it ends up being).

Oh I forgot to add, how feasible is it for me to make this tank planted? That's a big part of how I set up my tanks and I want to make sure that's still possible.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is a 150 enough space for all these fish?
Jack Dempsey
Pair of red severums
Flowerhorn*
Convict
Firemouth*
Jewel cichlid*
Endlicheri bichir*
Green terror

Stars are next to what i currently have. I'm thinking of replacing the jewel cichlid with the green terror.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom